Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

stevomaster33

Senior Member

03-03-2014

so when will it come out for good?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

willuwontu

Senior Member

03-03-2014

When will it be available for NA?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Appendixless

Senior Member

03-03-2014

I love the idea but what is stopping people from troll picking? For example, what is stopping someone from picking something like garen support? Obviously garen support is less than ideal than every other support in the game, but I can see people being like "this is team builder and I want to try something new and interesting at support" when in any other circumstance that could be considered trolling. If restrictions are set on the type of champion that can go in each role, how exclusive will those restraints be?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grim Reaper

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Quote:
Appendixless:
I love the idea but what is stopping people from troll picking? For example, what is stopping someone from picking something like garen support? Obviously garen support is less than ideal than every other support in the game, but I can see people being like "this is team builder and I want to try something new and interesting at support" when in any other circumstance that could be considered trolling. If restrictions are set on the type of champion that can go in each role, how exclusive will those restraints be?

I believe the team leader can kick anyone that isn't quite what they wanted and that people that are team leader can only do this a limited number of times in order to prevent abuse of this feature


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chaunceymo

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Quote:
RavenHusky:
I'd assume that it plays like blind pick. Both teams get to choose what they do regardless of the other team, so I'd assume that it's possible for the same champ to be on both teams.


My understanding is that the teams are made totally independently, so while it might increase matchmaking times non-negligibly it would be pretty easy to say "two teams with overlapping champs can't play". But I suspect you are right; just wanted to hear Riot confirm.

Mostly asking because if it did enforce unique champs and the real matchmaking time is shorter than normal draft, it would be a nice mode to practice something closer to ranked play (since normal draft can easily be 20+ minutes before a match starts, with all the dodgers who don't have to worry about losing LP).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-03-2014

Quote:
InsertANameHere:
Thanks guys!

So if there is enough success with this format, would it be possible to have some sort of ranked setting for team builder?


The current version of Team Builder focuses on champion select, and not on drafting or counterpicking. Given that those are critical to the strategy of competitive game modes, we aren't sure how Team Builder will work in Ranked modes just yet but it's something we're thinking about.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-03-2014

Quote:
popboyusa:
i assume this will be separate from ranked q right?


Yes, Team Builder will be its own queue. Depending on what we learn from the system, we may adapt some of the lessons to the other queues.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-03-2014

Quote:
RavenHusky:
I'd assume that it plays like blind pick. Both teams get to choose what they do regardless of the other team, so I'd assume that it's possible for the same champ to be on both teams.

It would be kind of hard to do something like this for draft, when what you pick somewhat depends on what the other team picks.


This is right, the rules are similar to Normal Blind Pick, so opposing teams can have the same champion but you cannot have duplicate champions on the same team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Soarent

Recruiter

03-03-2014

Quote:
Lyte:
The current version of Team Builder focuses on champion select, and not on drafting or counterpicking. Given that those are critical to the strategy of competitive game modes, we aren't sure how Team Builder will work in Ranked modes just yet but it's something we're thinking about.

What about entering the que with a position you want then once it finds the ranked game everything will be same but the captain will ban and everyone will know where they going. Would this work?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

Senior Member

03-03-2014

What will you do if it turns out that basically everyone who runs teambuilder is doing the meta strategy? Doesn't that defeat half the purpose? I mean, there's still going to be 'I really want to play this champion' for teambuilder, but almost all the games I played with teambuilder on the PBE were of the traditional 1/1/j/2 lanes, with only two exceptions; 1/3/1 and 1/1/j/2 with veigar getting the cs at bottom, and even then the latter is because we were tired of waiting for a marksman.