My first refund request [Complete Caitlyn review WARNING wall of text]

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tarnace

01-05-2011

*UPDATE*

RIOT gave me a refund
+1 to Riot's CSD

-------------------------------------------------------

Dear Riot

As an avid Lol player for the last 6 months I feel that I have been relatively happy with all of my Riot purchases until now. However, as a professional gamer with more than eight years of experience designing, and testing games, I feel that the new character (Caitlyn) has a few large design flaws as well as a few game breaking bugs that needed to be addressed before she should have been released to the public.

Late last night I logged on to play, bought her, and played a whole 3 games with her. In that time alone I felt something was really wrong with her, and proceeded to confirm my thoughts as I looked for more information on the community forums. I have left a long, well thought out constructive review of the character below, that you or the community can peruse at your leisure, and I am formally requesting that she be removed from my account and you re-credit me my 6300 ip. I also encourage any players that feel the same way as I do to state their claims and also let their voices be heard.

Initial Design and Concept

When looking at the initial design of a character, aesthetically we have a champion that looks like a Female version of willy wonka with a large gun.

The very first words on her champion spot light (after the name intro) are:
"Caitlyn is a ranged dps sniper champion"

Yay! Sniper champion!

Also as a previous Dota player, this is the type of character I have been looking forward to seeing in Lol for quite a while now. Dwarven sniper here I come!

Special Abilities

Headshot (Passive) - Every 8 attacks (attacks while in brush count as 2), Caitlyn will fire a headshot, dealing either 150% damage to a champion or 250% damage to a minion.

-It's a modest passive at best, not game breaking, on a character with 650 range it's very nice to harass with but a tad awkward to use. A good skill to take if you are laning top or bottom as it helps with keeping zone control. Not as strong if taken for mid as there is no "safe" bush, but still helps in the attrition wars

Piltover Peacemaker - Caitlyn revs up her rifle for 1 second to unleash a penetrating shot which deals physical damage (deals less damage to subsequent targets).

-I like this skill the most, simple, easy to spam and very long range. Again - if you are having trouble keeping in your zones, this skill will flush enemies out really quick. A good skill to launch from a bush so that the enemy doesn't see it coming. Also useful when pushing and farming. In my opinion this is her best skill bar none but the scaling is a tad weak and this skill loses its punch fairly early.

Yordle Snap Trap - Caitlyn sets a trap to reveal sneaky yordles. When sprung, the trap immobilizes the champion and deals magic damage over 1.5 seconds.

-Not really what you would call a sniperish ability, this skill lets you set up some defences to help you set up jukes and escape enemy jungle ganks. The damage on this skill is very small, and the immobilize is short. Also it doesn't currently stop characters from using any abilities, but that's not really the point of the skill. Its implied goal is to keep you alive and it gives you something to do until the team fight pushes your way. This trap should be changed into a complete stun since the duration and damage is very low.

90 Caliber Net - Caitlyn fires a heavy net to slow her target, the recoil knocks Caitlyn back.

-One of the only snares in the entire game that doesn't let you attack your target, instead this skill helps you escape ganks in multiple ways. It slows your target, catapults you over terrain, and blows you backwards. Speaking of backwards... This skill has a fairly large animation and can "accidentally" hit minions extremely easily. Why it can do this is beyond me - it's a skill shot that automatically catapults you backwards, letting you escape without the need of any targets whatsoever. Also I feel that the snare effect is abysmal with a time of only (1,1.25,1.5,1.75,2seconds) so the net should either "stop" the target for one second, then slow for any remain time afterwards, or this skill should always have a 2 second effect. Either way this will allow you a better escape or at least a chance to hit your target at least once if you feel the need to counter and/or pursue.

Ace in the Hole (Ultimate) - Caitlyn takes time to line up the perfect shot, dealing massive damage to a single target at a huge range. Enemy champions can intercept the bullet for their ally.

-Ah now the main point we picked this character in the first place. Super long range massive attack here we come!!!

-Completely on the Unique side in lol, this attack is the longest targeting shot in the game, second, its damage is soo massive that friendly units can block it to "take the bullet" for their teammate to help "ease" the pain and AKA save them.

-First off, this skill contains one of Zileas anti fun patterns (I bet he really regretted putting that post up considering all the flack it receives). This skill, while giving you a powerful ranged shot that unlike the other two skill shot abilities, doesn't require "skill" as it is a targeting skill, but unlike all other targeted skill in the game... you have no control over it and your enemies can easily screw you on it by just hopping in the way.

-Second, its misleading. This single skill is 100% the reason I (and everyone else) wanted this character, not only does it not deliver, its flat out wrong. It states that it does "massive damage", in fact the damage is soo big other units are allowed to risk their necks if they want to help their teammates live- but in truth the damage, is very low and scales poorly in comparison to all other ults that are even remotely similar (and almost all of those hit an AOE radius or worse)

-Third, it is extreamly slooooooow. It has a 2.5 second charge time and travels very slowly, giving up to 4 seconds of reaction time. Also it marks the target, warning the target with more than enough time to put up a shield (if able) or for an enemy unit (any) to "take the shot" instead of the intended target. It is currently stopped/blocked by all protective skills in the game.

-Fourth, it is heavily bugged and not working as intended*.

*Apparently if your target enters fog of war... this skill fails
*Apparently if your target simply walks into a bush... this skill fails
*Activating Stealth (1.5 second charge time verses 3-4 seconds)...this skill fails
*Apparently this skill crits sometimes, dealing even less damage then intended

In Conclusion

Lets read her description again shall we?
"Caitlyn is a ranged dps sniper champion"

So we have a ranged dps sniper that can't hit things, and doesn't do any damage when she does

...Seriously?

...Ok fine, let's fix her shall we? I'm going to leave you some "suggestions" below

First fix, Remove the bugs - flat out she needs to hit with her snipe ability or she can't be played

Second, make the character work as "implied", not as she is current implemented - your bait and switch is why I want a refund, flat out I'm calling you out - flat out - you lied. And many MANY players feel this way!!!

-as stated before her ult is not a skill shot, so either let it not be interceptable (very anti fun (remember it needs to hit aka TARGETED) or, If an enemy unit can/decides to "take the shot" then dammit IT HAS TO HURT THEM!!! or the whole skill has no point.

-as stated in the tool tip (again as a lie) she needs to deal massive damage with her snipe attack - it's her main point of existence. Too many champs have a non-targeting version that deals more damage and do it waaay faster and better than her, without bugs, and *again* this skill IS her main point of existence, it is her selling point so it is also her life...

Her damage doesn't need to scale - but it needs to be high

*Rank 1 - base dps+25% of the targets max hp, or flat 30%
*Rank 2 - base dps+30% of the targets max hp, or flat 34%
*Rank 3 - base dps+35% of the targets max hp, or flat 38%

*All damage dealt in this way MUST be true damage only or with any added dps damage it will be brutal against squishies even at full life, yet tickle tanks again making it in majority useless as it will be blocked in all team fights. If needed be you can always increase the skills cost and cool down to make it more balanced, but if it doesn't deal big damage then she doesn't need to exist.

The implied definition of a true ranged dps sniper champion should reads as such:

When you see and target a low health unit - it should die
When you are too close to anything, you should die

Make it so

End

Eliras

01-05-2011

Um, her R has badass scaling but piss-poor base damage.

xIconus

01-05-2011

i like this post. Wile never played AS her, i have played AGAINST her and as a AP ***** ryze and find her to be a minimal threat even late game. one of the squishiest and shortest ranged mages findsthis champ to be less a threat than a support class. Now that isnt right

Tarnace

01-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliras View Post
it has 2:1 scaling, which for a single target nuke with no base damage that can be intercepted at will is very poor

Gato Muerto

01-05-2011

Suggestion: Make the ult True Damage, citing it is a sniped shot, and she's aiming for an area of less cover.

zGarchomp

01-05-2011

You are asking for a refund for something that ISNT faulty.

Faulty = Not in working condition. News flash, she's working as intended, it's just that she's bad. That would be like asking for a refund on a soda you don't like. It's not their fault you don't like the soda.

Tarnace

01-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castorian View Post
i like this post. Wile never played AS her, i have played AGAINST her and as a AP ***** ryze and find her to be a minimal threat even late game. one of the squishiest and shortest ranged mages findsthis champ to be less a threat than a support class. Now that isnt right
She has no hp and can't survive any focus from any mage without losing all her dps, I was veigar (testing new hat) and I was 2 shotting her all game

SuperKaz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2011

Quote:
Wrong, the scaling is horrible.

Anything that scales off BONUS AD only is a bad skill.

She's not good. At all.

I agree with you 100% OP. I want my 10 bucks back from this catastrophe. They lied to all the players that wanted to play as Caitlyn.

Tarnace

01-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGarchomp View Post
You are asking for a refund for something that ISNT faulty.

Faulty = Not in working condition. News flash, she's working as intended, it's just that she's bad.
Intended or implied? Her ult says massive damage - and thats a FLAT OUT LIE

Siegfryd

01-05-2011

Quote:
The scaling is piss poor too, it's double your bonus AD. Which doesn't add up to much unless you stack bloodthirsters.

12345 ... 8