What is a good counter for VelKoz?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ch0c0lateJesus

02-27-2014

Anything with decent mobility and burst damage.

So, any assassin really.

Hawkefire

02-27-2014

Virtually any assassin with some form of gap close hard core counters Vel'Koz

AKA: The Meta

Jamatrix666

02-27-2014

Talon does this job perfectly fine.

Hawkefire

02-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamatrix666 View Post
Talon does this job perfectly fine.
Talon would be my last pick of the mid lane assassins because Vel has very strong harass and early game power. A skilled Velkoz would usually be able to deny you the capability to farm or gain experience in lane due to his immense poke power. However, if you can survive till 6 with semi-decent farm and not ending up feeding Vel'Koz....

Jamatrix666

02-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkefire View Post
However, if you can survive till 6 with semi-decent farm and not ending up feeding Vel'Koz....
That's exactly what I do. Actually, Vel'Koz users end up feeding a good Talon. Getting mobility at the beginning (boots/masteries) helps him a lot to dodge Vel'Koz's pokes, Talon can then jump on Vel'Koz at level 3 to perform a E-AA-W-AA-Q combo which can easily deal 30% of Vel'Koz's life in damages. And when you flee from your burst combo, a good Talon player knows Vel'Koz is gonna use an ability to replicate and will then be ready to dodge again with good reflexes.

Also, at level 6, Talon can engage a duel against Vel'Koz without his E, keeping his silence for when Vel'Koz begins his ult. This tactic significantly reduces Vel'Koz damage output and will most likely allow the fight to turn in favor to Talon.

Vel'Koz players will end up being better and better with him over time tho. Things are more easy now for mid lane assassins since most people didn't master Vel'Koz yet. But then the people countering Vel'Koz will also have a better knowledge on how to counter his kit so I'm curious to see how things are going to be in a few weeks.

Hawkefire, who's your favorite counter-pick to Vel'Koz?

Flipsy

02-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtoneill View Post
They need to nerf Vel'Koz he can solo entire teams... How do I physics?...
Fixed!

Hawkefire

02-27-2014

I have a couple counterpicks to Vel personally

My absolute favorite is Zed.

No need to worry about the early game disadvantage that Talon faces, and you can easily poke if you know what you are doing. Plus, you can avoid any form of counter attack from Vel with clever use of your shadows.

My other favorite counter to Vel is also (ironically) Talon. This will probably change once people actually learn how to use Vel's kit properly, because if you are not careful with Talon, Vel can and WILL chunk your HP (I saw a Vel facing a Talon, the Talon was level 3 and went in for a full combo, vel simply used his 1 at a nearly point blank range which slowed him, used his W, then chained his E, then used his W AGAIN and before we knew it, Vel lost 30% of his health and Talon lost roughly 60%)

Perhaps the best Counter to Vel would be LeBlanc (although I personally dislike using her).

Strangely, Kassadin doesn't seem like as nasty of a counter as I would have thought, but this is perhaps due to the amount of true damage Vel uses.

Peligrad

02-28-2014

Champions like Vel typically are countered in lane by assassin that can avoid skill shot and instantly gap close.

Champions like Vel typically are countered in team fights by champions that can catch him and ruin his ult/positioning.

That would include anyone who has great initiation.

Madolinn

02-28-2014

Anyone with two feet and at least 3 abilities. Velkoz's skill shots are very predictable and easy to maneuver if you're not playing Ashe or Anivia.

The only issue is his ultimate which deals most of the damage. If you're not mobile enough his passive tagged onto his ult with murder you. So if this is the biggest issue, you're better off playing someone a little more mobile since his aiming is slow, like Yasuo or Katarina.

dustwind8

02-28-2014

i would personally think veigar as they generally must both be fairly close to use their abilities, veigars stun and meteor ult and q combo i believe can all be cast within range of vel using everything except his ult