Morgana, AP or Support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

private

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2010

I have been building Morgana as support for a while now, and as long as we have a good team I usually do pretty good. I have tried to do AP but realized that no matter how defensively i play, i get team ganked and die quickly. I was wondering if anyone had a good AP guide to try and whether you think she is better build AP or support.

wildfire393

01-04-2010

What do you mean by "support" Morgana? Do you get Aura items?

Morgana's best (only) support ability (Black Shield) Scales 1:1 with AP, meaning that AP makes her a better supporter.

I think what your real question is is whether to make Morgana Tank or AP. What I would say about this is that she has good damage output with all of her abilities, and all 4 of her abilities have a good AP ratio (minimum 1:1, if you total up the hits on Tormented Soil). Whichever way you go, I would start out with a Rod of Ages, if not two. Rylai's is also a possibility, though she doesn't benefit much from the slows (her Snare already stuns them for greater than the duration, her Ult already has a stronger slow, but it makes it a little harder to escape her Soil un-snared). After 2 HP/AP items (either rod+rod or rod+rylais), you can go full tank by picking up tank items (Frozen Heart, Aegis of the Legion give you good support tanking, stuff like Guardian Angel, Thornmail, Banshee's veil are never bad) or full AP (Abyssal Scepter for support on your other casters, and stuff like Lichbane, Void Staff, Deathfire, Zhonya's are never bad).

private

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
What do you mean by "support" Morgana? Do you get Aura items?

Morgana's best (only) support ability (Black Shield) Scales 1:1 with AP, meaning that AP makes her a better supporter.

I think what your real question is is whether to make Morgana Tank or AP. What I would say about this is that she has good damage output with all of her abilities, and all 4 of her abilities have a good AP ratio (minimum 1:1, if you total up the hits on Tormented Soil). Whichever way you go, I would start out with a Rod of Ages, if not two. Rylai's is also a possibility, though she doesn't benefit much from the slows (her Snare already stuns them for greater than the duration, her Ult already has a stronger slow, but it makes it a little harder to escape her Soil un-snared). After 2 HP/AP items (either rod+rod or rod+rylais), you can go full tank by picking up tank items (Frozen Heart, Aegis of the Legion give you good support tanking, stuff like Guardian Angel, Thornmail, Banshee's veil are never bad) or full AP (Abyssal Scepter for support on your other casters, and stuff like Lichbane, Void Staff, Deathfire, Zhonya's are never bad).
I did mean tank, sorry for the confusion. Ill try a few games with rod+rod, then building either damage or tank depending on the game, hopefully it works out good.

Logo

01-04-2010

Full out AP doesn't really make sense. Late game after some survivability you might want to grab some but you're almost always going to prevent more damage by having Aegis and Frozen Heart than you would by trying to boost AP.

Of course it all depends on your team and what items they go. If you already have a tank going Frozen Heart and/or Aegis then that opens up some room for you to get tank + AP item like grabbing a RoA (or 2)

bobthegood

01-04-2010

RoA x2 is a reasonable build, but I prefer a tank/caster/support hybrid. RoA -> Spirit Visage -> Soul Shroud -> Aegis or Abyssal or whatever is needed. With mana manip and utilty mastery, you can farm creep waves easily and spirit visage and soul shroud are REALLY cheap items. CD Reduction is big on her because she has long CDs and you can farm more; those two items combined with masteries will give you 36% cd reduction. Ultimately, your teammates want you to spam your shield and snare as often as possible. They'll also like the +mana regen and cd reduction of Soul Shroud. With mercury treads, spirit visage, and your sheild they will not be able to nuke you very effectively. Oddly enough, I really like the regen of spirit visage because usually I'm the one fending off a lane for so long and eventually they'll do little bits of damage. What I like about the item build is that I can start with either mana manipulator, bead and charm and pot, or sapphire and double pot depending on lane partners and the enemy team.

When I play morgana with this build, I tend to go 4/0/20ish if we win or 4/1/10ish if we lose. The death is when the enemy pushes and destroys our nexus. I'm a pretty good shot and my two nukes will do half a squishies life in damage with just RoA and some force runes/magic penetration. I'll let the carry finish them off. I'm debating about getting a soulstealer on her because all those assists will eventually fill it if I don't die.

TheTruhan

01-05-2010

Morgana, haven't play her for quite some time
A pure tank build as you said, would do well IF you have a good team. Unlike other tanks, if you go tank with Morgana you ain't gonna do much damage to the enemy's team and your spells have quite long cooldowns. Though you can sustain some damage especially with your black shield, you ain't gonna pose much of a threat. This is however solved by the presence of teammates, but again if they're not competent you ain't gonna get far.

A pure AP build, would make you much more of a threat but squishier. Usually the AP items you want to get are the ones that add health(RoA and Rylai's). You are indeed a threat but you die kinda fast.

Sooooo, in conclusion I think it's better to just go with a hybrid build. Cooldown reduction is also a great thing on Morgana, allows you to spam spells faster. Items like Soul Shroud and Nashoor's Tooth combined increase both your damage, gives you survivability and max CD reduction (40%).

Can't give you a precise build, but these are just my opinions.