What is LoL classified as?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

private

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2010

I don't think LoL should be considered a RTS, because it you only control a few units at most and you don't create buildings. What do you think LOL/DotA should be called?

DragonArmy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2010

They already gave it a name. MOBA -- Multiplayer online battle arena.

The Uprising

01-04-2010

DC

dota clone :P

(really though, if it wasn't for HoN, I would say this game was one of the most unoriginal ideas ever. Really!? 3 lanes, heroes with 4 attacks, 3 normal and one ultimate?)

private

01-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonArmy View Post
They already gave it a name. MOBA -- Multiplayer online battle arena.
Good to know, thanks

Xeatoa

01-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Uprising View Post
DC

(really though, if it wasn't for HoN, I would say this game was one of the most unoriginal ideas ever. Really!? 3 lanes, heroes with 4 attacks, 3 normal and one ultimate?)

lawl

lawl

oh wow

IdiotSavant

01-04-2010

Quote:
DC

thats like saying every game in a certain genre that followed a certain game is unoriginal

Mocurion

01-04-2010

I would say it is an RTS (Controls, Interface) RPG (1 Champion that you got to level to suceed, you got to equip and skill him) mix with focus on the PvP part of those genres.

WholeGrn

01-04-2010

Quote:
DC

I wonder why? Maybe because LoL followed DotA and they're in the same genre? That is like saying Warcraft 3 is unoriginal because you just build buildings, units, and get resources similar to Starcraft. You're oversimplifying things.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

01-04-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

The most common names for it are MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) and RTS Arena. Those make the most sense to me, and our "standard" genre term we use when describing the game and those like it is MOBA.

I've also heard Role Playing Strategy before. Blizzard used that name for War3 and it sortof applies to these as well.

Kaitor

01-04-2010

Quote:
DC

Your ideia is wrong. Like that you can call portal a unoriginal game also, cause the creators of Narbacular Drop (a college project with the same caracteristics of Portal) were hired by Valve to develop a game based on Narbacular Drop.

Lol has the same creators of Dota plus a development team.