Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UltravioletFight

08-19-2014

Just a thought, is there anything we can do to help Riot with this? Is it possible to reverse hack them? I know next to nothing about such things but I was brought up by a tech expert and it seems to me there should be something that we can do to help...

yiconomics

08-30-2014

Everyone Dc, but me and Master Yi reconnect ( I'm on Teemo)

I'm leaving them a nice suprise for when everyone connects XD

FifthOfNovember

08-30-2014

I have noticed some huge server issues, i have had three games today with not one person in them longer then five minutes and just now a game with four unable to join the game, three vs three on summoners was fun. However I am curious what riot is doing to prevent these attacks as they seem to be escalating or if this is an entirely isolated incident.

Triple Claws

09-02-2014

Quote:
Hello, just wanted to see if I could drum up some conversations about the nature of DDOS attacks and what kind of scale we're seeing. The attacks that have recently taken place on many different Internet services are quite large because of a very specific flaw in the NTP protocol. These attacks are called reflection attacks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-...Spoofed_attack).

What's difficult to deal with when it comes to DDOS attacks is that the larger the attacks become, the easier it is for the attacker to completely consume all bandwidth available for a specific provider. What this means is that any Internet service that this provider has under them is also unable to communicate back to the Internet. As the attacks become larger, we block them farther and farther up the provider levels, until we're working with Tier 1 ISPs to implement access control lists that prevent these attacks. Here's some more information from Cloudflare about the recent NTP Reflection DDOSes (http://blog.cloudflare.com/understan...d-ddos-attacks)

Us networking guys at Riot are not only working internally to find a solution to this problem, but we're also working with the Information Security industry as a whole to improve the situation. We're working to find a tech solution to block the attacks as they're ongoing, and fixing the underlying problem of open/unpatched NTP servers on the Internet.

Please feel free to toss any questions my way that you might have, I would love to have a chat with everyone about this and answer as much as I can.

I heard that they're DDOSing the system by creating a huge number of logins with near instant logouts to bog down the login queue and network. Couldn't you prevent this by adding in an automatic 5 second delay between time you hit enter and the credential authentication step?

Jerrythecherry

09-03-2014

It's great to see that this is stickied in the general discussion, but I believe it would be great if links of this could be made to the help and support forums as well, as many people there are complaining about about the recent DDOS and server downtimes.

Jerrythecherry

09-03-2014

Quote:
Triple Claws:
I heard that they're DDOSing the system by creating a huge number of logins with near instant logouts to bog down the login queue and network. Couldn't you prevent this by adding in an automatic 5 second delay between time you hit enter and the credential authentication step?

Maybe they are not using the client, but rather a programmed software that automatically sends the correct credentials?

tannerface

Recruiter

09-04-2014

Now I am not sure if this has been posted yet as there are 74 pages now but as a fellow net admin we have seen a huge increase in DDos attacks against ISP's lately. Even the Tier 1 fiber providers are getting hit with these now. A good portion of them are actually coming from Russia not China which given the current state of political affairs is not surprising. This really isn't something riot could fix themselves as it really isn't a direct attack on them. Think of it this way, your house is at the end of the street and riot's servers are at the other end, the street is owned by comcast and they provide you the road to move from your house to riots servers. Hi I am troll and just put 5million cars on that street good luck getting to riot now. Not sure if that helps but I always use actual traffic analogies when referring to internet/network traffic as it pertains to bandwidth/latency which determines speed of applications.

Triple Claws

09-04-2014

I heard that it wasn't just against ISP's, but also against individual companies like Microsoft, Sony, and Riot.

FuQTrollz

09-08-2014

Quote:
six PERFECTIONS:
Thanks RiotGradius for addressing the problem and telling us your procedure toward a solution It's what the community needs in times like these

Idc what they are doing to fix it. What are they doing to reimburse the players that are being banned by their ****ty leaver buster program w/ no forgiveness due to their trash security issues..