Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zéychin

02-18-2014

Quote:
Merp Island:
What's the long-term solution to this problem?

Become Skynet.

lyaon15

02-18-2014

Is this going to abate in the near future at all? What are you doing to stop this? Is recovery going to be a slow process? I'm tired of playing 2 v 3, 3 v 3, 4 v 1 **** on rift. It's really frustrating and I think I might just stop playing for a while. Which sucks when I have so much RP invested. Please reply. Thanks

Berz

02-18-2014

Quote:
Valenten:
I require more detailed responses on what exactly is happening to yall over these past 3 weeks and if yall have tracked down the culprits and what your plans are in the immideiate future to prevent these kinds of attack so that Riot is able to provide a stable service. Also are yall planning on upgrading the current servers so they run more smoothly. Also what is the progress on making East Coast and Central US have better ping?

Also Santa, I want a pony, a Malibu Stacy convertible, any my parents to get back together.

Thanks.

chickenoutlaw

02-18-2014

Can we get a conformation that these server attacks have been the cause for all the server issues since the beginning of 2014?

Linna Excel

02-18-2014

Quote:
CauldronBorn49:
The problem is that, even if Riot's perimeter routers/firewalls/proxy devices/etc drop all new connections, the massive network traffic flood will temporarily overload the ISP. Some of these attacks are getting as large as 400 gb/s, so ~ 50 GB/s.

So it isn't just riot but the ISP as well. So what has to be done to recover? I assume there are more options than wait it out.

pro4never

02-18-2014

Quote:
Merp Island:
What's the long-term solution to this problem?

Fixing issues with Network Time Protocol which is being used for many of these attacks (it's what's amplifying the attacks)

Expanding communication with tier 1 ISPs

Improved network architecture across the board

H8sFata1mistakes

02-18-2014

Whatever the reasonable explanation for these "reflection attacks". It's pathetic that an industry with so many billions and Riot with its resources still haven't found a way to neutralize this. It has been going on for years.

In the past weeks the servers have been unplayable more than a half dozen times. Basically every night i get on we spend a large portion of our time not playing. It borders on incompetent that a monster company and industry like yours still has to resort to telling people "we're working on it". I'm not threatening to quit or anything over-dramatic like that. But I mean someone needs to take some responsibility, Riot: "it's not our fault, it's Cloudfare's fault". Cloudfare: "We're stumped and even if we knew we wouldn't tell you what's up". Everyone involved is tossing the hot potato around and ducking the blame.

This is starting to remind me of President Obama, nothing is ever his fault, and he's always oblivious to what is going on. But be ASSURED, hes working to fix it for you.......

CommandShockwave

02-18-2014

So when a group like Derp decides to take credit for an attack, how likely is it that this is true?

Are there a lot of groups out there using Gaben lasers upgraded with NTP protocol ddos beams?

Second, is a fix for this large-scale problem anywhere in sight, or is this a matter of someone going 'EUREKA!' with the solution?

The Scyphozoa

02-18-2014

Now, I don't play Ranked, so I don't actually know what most people should:

When Loss Forgiven/Prevented is turned on, does the winning team still get their LP?
And if so, is there any threat posed by large amounts of LP gain with no LP loss by half the people playing ranked at the time? Could that potentially break the equilibrium of the ranking system if there's enough of it?

Anketh

02-18-2014

Thanks for the response Gradius, it means a lot to those of us who are stuck just to know that the problem's been noticed. The transparency of your information means a lot to us.