Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gekkousama

02-18-2014

How about a little something something to make us feel a bit better about the wasted time. I dunno, like cake or chocolate. Something that makes us feel loved by Riot.

pro4never

02-18-2014

Quote:
LoLBorix:
I don't know much about DDoSing but isn't it highly illegal when you disrupt a service like this? Is it really that hard to catch people who things like this that most people don't bother going after who was responsible?

It's near impossible to track people down and get them actually punished. Governments won't generally get involved unless it's a government service being attacked and even then, if the culprit(s) are international, you have fairly few options to make them stop.

AKA: US law isn't going to stop someone in China DDOSing a private company.

Aerothal

Recruiter

02-18-2014

Quote:
chaser676:
You likely won't be allowed to answer this question, but the group claiming responsibility have said they would stop if you asked them to stop. At what point does this become an option?

don't know about you but i'd prefer Riot not to bow to some pimpled lowlife with a god complex.

ps: and if that means i cant play the game for a while, i take that.
Do you really think He/She/It/They would stop?

VirtualEuphoria

02-18-2014

I honestly think talking to the player base more about the attacks, rather than just saying "ranked is coming down and we're having server issues" might help a little with PR. What you're doing is a step in the right direction.

The MechE

02-18-2014

Quote:
RiotGradius:
Hello, just wanted to see if I could drum up some conversations about the nature of DDOS attacks and what kind of scale we're seeing. The attacks that have recently taken place on many different Internet services are quite large because of a very specific flaw in the NTP protocol. These attacks are called reflection attacks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack#Reflected_.2F_Spoofed_attack).

What's difficult to deal with when it comes to DDOS attacks is that the larger the attacks become, the easier it is for the attacker to completely consume all bandwidth available for a specific provider. What this means is that any Internet service that this provider has under them is also unable to communicate back to the Internet. As the attacks become larger, we block them farther and farther up the provider levels, until we're working with Tier 1 ISPs to implement access control lists that prevent these attacks. Here's some more information from Cloudflare about the recent NTP Reflection DDOSes (http://blog.cloudflare.com/understanding-and-mitigating-ntp-based-ddos-attacks)

Us networking guys at Riot are not only working internally to find a solution to this problem, but we're also working with the Information Security industry as a whole to improve the situation. We're working to find a tech solution to block the attacks as they're ongoing, and fixing the underlying problem of open/unpatched NTP servers on the Internet.

Please feel free to toss any questions my way that you might have, I would love to have a chat with everyone about this and answer as much as I can.

Now I don't really know much about all this stuff, but, from what I've heard anyway and this is just what I've heard, cloudflare is a terrible DDoS protection service. Why would you choose a bad service like that? Is it for budget reasons?

Merp Island

02-18-2014

What's the long-term solution to this problem?

Hazardas88

02-18-2014

Well I for one am willing to buy Riot a 1 years subscription to Norton Antivirus in order to solve the problem. I think that should do the trick.

clickhead

02-18-2014

Quote:
Valenten:
I require more detailed responses on what exactly is happening to yall over these past 3 weeks and if yall have tracked down the culprits and what your plans are in the immideiate future to prevent these kinds of attack so that Riot is able to provide a stable service. Also are yall planning on upgrading the current servers so they run more smoothly. Also what is the progress on making East Coast and Central US have better ping?

Who's Yall?

MYGTISRANDOM

02-18-2014

why dont you try to get Dj khaled to give you the most powerful servers?

wg5P7W2.jpg

CauldronBorn49

02-18-2014

Quote:
Linna Excel:
Is it possible when you are starting to see an unnatural spike in pings that servers just ignores anything it doesn't already have a connection with?

The problem is that, even if Riot's perimeter routers/firewalls/proxy devices/etc drop all new connections, the massive network traffic flood will temporarily overload the ISP. Some of these attacks are getting as large as 400 gb/s, so ~ 50 GB/s.