Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shen Guide: Optimus Shen the Tank-Carry

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I pwnz u now

01-10-2011

Scaling Magic Pen marks? Warmog's? HAhahahaha. No.

PwnSword

01-10-2011

The main problems of this guide are the rune choices. Hp quints are the best choice. Also, evergy regen is kinda bad, personally I run flat armor seals and flat mr glyphs.

I want to point something out, Warmogs is actually a Really good starting item IF the enemy team has a good mix of Magic and phys dps. Health is more cost efficient than armor and mr vs a well balanced team, the reason although obvious, is that you have to spend gold on both armor and mr, which together will cost more than just plain health which is effective vs both. mind you aegis still rocks the house.

I start with a regrowth now on Shen, who I have played hundreds of games as btw, This with my hp quints, and vorpal is enough to let me lane vs most hero's and dominate them.

Also I run Armor pen marks, reason being, i run atmas usually with warmogs, this cranks my phys dps up quite a bit. and I alwyas get the 15% magic pen talent which at late game usually equals the same as red magic pen runes anyways.

Also, 1 point of feint is useful vs hero's like zil during lane, but I always max vorpal and taunt first, you want to get your taunt energy usage down and duration maxed asap. You have to remeber this spell is also a silence.

Dustin1280

01-25-2011

This is an AWFUL shen guide...
From the ruin recommendations to the item selection to downplaying taunts usefulness.

Mozi88

01-26-2011

alright I just tested this build not too long ago. Here are my rune changes since I don't have what you asked for:
Magic Pen red flats
Yellow Energy regen flats
MR Blue flats
Quint HP flats

9/21/0 build I saw fit

My team: Shen, TF, Urgot, Kassadin, Jungle Rammus
Other team: Mordekaiser, Morgana, Twitch, Caitlyn, Cho'gath

Items in the end:
boots of swift
warmog
FoN
Frozen Mallet
sunfire cape

was going for rylai for last item

Results:
8/5/24 WIN

I would like to first note that I shouldn't have gotten my 5th death, because i initiated but my team didn't follow through, so really, IMO i'll leave that as a mistake. Nonetheless it's part of the record.

Things I liked:
-boots of swift + FoN = amazing run speed (along with dash to chase/initiate)
-warmog + frozen mallet + sunfire cape = 4.5kish HP
-with FoN included = 50-59% damage reduction in armor and MR (along with Feint, it's heavenly)
-TP and Ignite has always been my favored summoner skills to begin with, and this build matches those two skills nicely
-Great tough, secondary tank build, overall

Things I was concerned about:
-If HP is needed to do extra damage, why not use Atmas?
-Q W to begin with is alright, but harassing is hard against champions who can excel at harassing/ganking early game as well (IE Pantheon, Morgana, Kennen, etc.)
-This build is really dependent on how well your teammates do. Yes I know it's carry-tank Shen, but this isn't a "game-changer" build, like other Shens I've witnessed. Some Shens could actually tip the odds in their favor in case something doesn't go well early game. Perhaps one game is not enough, but I feel this build is great IF everyone does well.
-Great secondary tank build, not sure for main tank.

Overall, it shows that even the most uncanny, wacky builds for Shen can be amazing for him (like AP Shen build, *ahem*). I certainly had fun with this.

EDIT: I followed the guide's advice on everything except for the rune set ups. Yes I ordered my R Q W E for skills.

GodofMountainDew

01-27-2011

Anyone else notice the magic pen marks that "scale with level" that the poster just made up.

Omnifacetious

02-10-2011

Quote:
Burbinator:

Ex: You never build merc treads on jax, becaus eyou need the dodge proc. If there was ever a situation where the magic resist + cc reduction was actually more valuable than dodge, then you should have picked xin zhao instead.

I play Jax quite a bit and I rarely buy dodge shoes. If there's a situation where I need that dodge to proc my stun and that's the only way I'll escape/get a kill, I'm doing it wrong. I almost always end up with Mercury's Treads because most teams will have at least one CC effect, if not more, and almost every champion that has any ability that does direct damage does magic damage. If there's a team where Ninja Tabi is going to help more than Mercury's Treads, then they build either 3 DPS (TT) or 4-5 DPS (SR). Otherwise, cc reduc and mr is better.

The point here is that there is never a 'best build' or 'most viable item' that applies in each and every case. There are some items that will always be useful, such as Aegis of the Legion, but that doesn't make it a best item. This is especially true for full- tanks and off-tanks. You need to build to counter your enemies, not just stick to some 'best' items/skill builds.

livestock

02-10-2011

stop bumping a bad guide plz

IcENoVa

03-26-2011

this is like the Worst guide ive seen . wtf no taunt shen is all about protecing your teamates and if i ever see you in my game i will report u for this :
I assume, you are like me, and you like to win. Team selection is where you can make the life improving choice of queue dodging. There are a few team selections, which must spell immediate queue dodge:
a) A player is AFK, or even better—he wants to be random(this is not Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter). Queue dodge.
b) The other four players select the free to play characters, and lock in immediately. Queue dodge.
c) The other four players select 4 squishy carries with no team utility, whatsoever, and lock in. Queue dodge.
d) There is something awfully off: say Panth with Smite. One feeder is enough to snowball you into defeat. Queue dodge.

your pretty much sayin its ok to queue dodge when its not.

Notmiefault

04-28-2011

Dear god why is this still on the guides page? This guide is so horrifically wrong for so many reasons. Shen is hands down my favorite character and this guide absolutely butchers him.

Two warmogs? On shen? Two warmogs is absolutely HORRIBLE. Never ever get two warmogs. The only thing that getting two warmogs does is guaruntee the enemy AD carry will grab madred's, and then you lose. Hard. You are much better off getting armor/mr items instead of another warmogs. Also, the taunt thing...yeah, just, no. Shadow Dash is shen's best ability, bar none. You probably want to max vorpal blade first (for the damage), but shadow dash is more useful.

ZO KidKaiser

Recruiter

04-28-2011

Ehh, i like the idea of Feint>Taunt

1 pt in taunt is more then enough to survive till mid game. although having more doesnt hurt either. maxing out your skills in this order R>Q>W>E seems to work out very nicely. dont believe me ? try it out. then come back and post how feint saved your life and baited the enemy team to their deaths.