Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shen Guide: Optimus Shen the Tank-Carry

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SrMeowMeow

01-07-2011

The guide is fine, but this:

"IF A PLAYER IS NOT USEFUL BY HIMSELF, HE IS NOT USEFUL FOR THE TEAM, AND HE IS NOT USEFUL AT ALL. DON’T BE USELESS!!!"

You're really, really, really, really bad."

is 100% true. I mean, think about your statement again, and if you don't agree that it's stupid, you ARE bad.

Samail

01-07-2011

Quote:
Vodka Gimlet:

I'm not saying this Optimus Shen is the gospel of Shen, or anything, but it certainly a design philosophy that has merit. Following this guide I often am #2 or #3 in kills and assists anywhere from 10 - 20.

The real strength of this guide is that it argues for a strong set up early and mid game which really sets up late game. The more I play LOL it seems to me that there is no 'perfect' item set up. No one is a 'perfect' tank or a 'perfect' farmer.

However, early game success through kills or frustrating your opponent often sets up victory - which this guide certainly advocates.

Absolutely. You get it completely. Thanks for trying it, before you formed your opinion. Glad you found this helpful

Samail

01-07-2011

Quote:
Bladesbane:
Sunfire costs 2600 for 45 armor and 450 health.

Three Hearts of Gold cost 2900 for 81 armor and 600 health.

You'll get much, much more gold from HoG stacking than you will a sunfire. 45min games usually leave me around 15k gold, and you'll usually have all 3 completed by 15min if you're playing well. After this point, let your team do all the farming and you'll end up a good bit stronger overall. After you get the first, don't last hit another creep. Let the carry you're laning with have all the last hits and you focus on harassing and denying with vorpal blade.

I've only ever had to sell one of my 3 HoG's once.

Never thought about this--I will surely try it.

Samail

01-07-2011

Quote:
SrMeowMeow:
The guide is fine, but this:

"IF A PLAYER IS NOT USEFUL BY HIMSELF, HE IS NOT USEFUL FOR THE TEAM, AND HE IS NOT USEFUL AT ALL. DON’T BE USELESS!!!"

You're really, really, really, really bad."

is 100% true. I mean, think about your statement again, and if you don't agree that it's stupid, you ARE bad.

I am bad, indeed. The above is legitimate Sith philosophy. If someone can't do it by himself, he is dead weight. I am not talking about team play--team play is the salt of this game. I am talking about pulling your own weight in a game.

Daeruvan

01-07-2011

Correct me if im wrong, but I play shen a lot differently in than this guy. I prefer to taunt, and manage energy for team fights instead of vorpal spam.

On item selection: I do not recommend AP shen. If you are playing complete newbs you can be effective with AP but your gold is better spent on health items or mitigation. (health = dps). AP is possibly viable, but you have to sink so much gold into it, it is better to get something else.

Shen is a hit and run tank/harrasser and I have had the best experience playing him as such.

Grimshaw

01-07-2011

Guide is a joke at best. Aegis a bad item? Warmogs stacking?

You insist it isn't shen's job to protect teammates and advocate maxing e last? Laughable. There's not much point in playing shen in that case; a decent duration on his aoe disable is absolutely crucial for those mid-game teamfights at dragon. Granted, q is usually priority for early game burst, sustainability and harass, but advocating feint over dash is
stupidity.

btw, half of shen's skillset is designed around protecting and supporting teammates so...

Samail

01-07-2011

Quote:
Bladesbane:
Sunfire costs 2600 for 45 armor and 450 health.

Three Hearts of Gold cost 2900 for 81 armor and 600 health.

You'll get much, much more gold from HoG stacking than you will a sunfire. 45min games usually leave me around 15k gold, and you'll usually have all 3 completed by 15min if you're playing well. After this point, let your team do all the farming and you'll end up a good bit stronger overall. After you get the first, don't last hit another creep. Let the carry you're laning with have all the last hits and you focus on harassing and denying with vorpal blade.

I've only ever had to sell one of my 3 HoG's once.

Played like 4 games with HoG like you recommend. Definitely works much better. Didn't even worry about gold, and opened me to be much more aggressive and mobile. I will replace sunfire with this in the guide, and credit you, if you don't mind.

Samail

01-07-2011

Quote:
Daeruvan:
Correct me if im wrong, but I play shen a lot differently in than this guy. I prefer to taunt, and manage energy for team fights instead of vorpal spam.

On item selection: I do not recommend AP shen. If you are playing complete newbs you can be effective with AP but your gold is better spent on health items or mitigation. (health = dps). AP is possibly viable, but you have to sink so much gold into it, it is better to get something else.

Shen is a hit and run tank/harrasser and I have had the best experience playing him as such.

It's all about preference, dude. I'd recommend you try it, though. I recommend AP items for fun only, not for hanging games. This whole build is build around fun and enjoyment. Plus you melt faces.

Samail

01-07-2011

Quote:
LionInAComa:
Guide is a joke at best. Aegis a bad item? Warmogs stacking?

You insist it isn't shen's job to protect teammates and advocate maxing e last? Laughable. There's not much point in playing shen in that case; a decent duration on his aoe disable is absolutely crucial for those mid-game teamfights at dragon. Granted, q is usually priority for early game burst, sustainability and harass, but advocating feint over dash is
stupidity.

btw, half of shen's skillset is designed around protecting and supporting teammates so...

Aegis is bad on Shen the way I play it. Warmog stacking: I might have to remove this--it's been nitpicked like a witch by the Holy Inquisition. You see chances are you won't even get there. Everything after the core is a player's preference. I am even changing the core with Bladesbane's Hearts of Gold.
The taunt thing: been there, done it, don't like it; it doesn't work that well. Please for the sake of argument try a few games, and give it an open heart.

shubomber

01-07-2011

Remind me to queue dodge you if you ever pick Shen.