Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shen Guide: Optimus Shen the Tank-Carry

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuperChoob

01-05-2011

I agree with most of the points of this guide. I used to play Shen like a hardcore tank, standing in front of my carries and trying to soak up all the damage. I maxed taunt and feint before vorpal and did laughable damage. I would taunt enemies and try to initiate teamfights only to find myself dying and my teammates spreading out. It was boring, it is frustrating, and it wasn't fun.

Now I play Shen like a boss. Max out Vorpal, taking solo lanes when optimal, and using my ult to win fights, not help my teammates escape from them. If someone got themselves ganked in the enemy jungle and is three level behind, screw him, I'm not going to save his ass. If a teammate is getting chased by two low HP enemies, then hell yea I'm gonna ult in, taunt, vorpal, ki, ignite and try to get that double kill. I go for kills, I farm like crazy, and I help my team win because I do a ton of damage, rarely get killed, and am awesome at turning fights around. With just a few kills and a decent amount of damage, I find myself be able to tank a lot more due to my gold and level advantage. I shrug off damage because I got fed early and mid game so my carries can whup their asses late game. All in all, I'm way more fun than pure tank Shen.

@ Warmogs argument, it takes 10 assists/kills to farm out a warmogs. Even if you buy this item mid-late game, you'll likely be able to max it out in three teamfights.

Argothman

01-05-2011

What some fail to realize that is that tank shen doesn't work well enough. Once taunt runs out, why should they attack you?

If you can do decent damage you fix the biggest problem with tanks, and that's aggro. Taunts are just a way to force enemies to attack, but they're exceedingly lackluster at anything but CC.

About warmogs: After you have decent resistances, stacking them just doesn't increase effective hp enough, which is when one get's warmogs.

Aegis: the bonuses that it gives to nearby teammates easily make it a worthwhile item.

I'm planning on playing shen again tonight, some thoughts I have.

Also, this is the build I'm planning, and have used.

Dorans Shield + Health Potion
Mercury Treads
Aegis of the Legion
Sunfire Cape/Force of Nature (Depending on team composition)
If needed, the other one. If not, perhaps a resistance item vs say, a hybrid.
HP item such as warmogs
lololololololol you've probably lost if you need this last item

superaznBX

01-05-2011

Aegis: the bonuses that it gives to nearby teammates easily make it a worthwhile item.
but its still easily replacable later on i like replacing it with a sunfire

lololololololol you've probably lost if you need this last item

OR, you hav enough gold to get something to just steamroll them (lol prob not)
or you could spam some wards for fun

like ur item build but u should consider getting randuins sometimes. very good on Shen, regardless of team composition

ForeverLaxx

01-05-2011

I actually find myself picking up a Warmogs before dedicated resist items. Why? Because you get enough armor from Doran's Shield and leveling to make it last, and I run MR/lvl glyphs and use Merc Treads. Before anyone is really doing lots of damage or has a lot of penetration, Warmogs helps the most. Plus, you start working on maxing it early and the item I buy immediately afterwards is the Negatron Cloak followed closely by Chainmail. I posted this in another thread, but I've stopped getting Sunfire on Shen specifically because he doesn't really need it and it makes seiging under an enemy tower that much more difficult.

GhostDieM

01-06-2011

Quote:
livestock:
shen is a bad farmer if you compare him to other champions. yes it is easy to last hit in lane iwth ki and vorpal but then conside the abilities other champions have, karthus' defile, amumus tantrum, malphites ground slam, twisted fates wild card, udyrs phoenix, mf's make it rain etc. i could go on and on shens farming ability is lackluster compared to other champions and takes ages to fully farm up a warmogs

I'd have to disagree with you there on some points, it's obvious he can't clear waves as fast as most champs (like karth with his defile) but that doesn't make him a bad farmer, just a bad lane pusher. Like you said Ki strike and Vorpal are great for last hitting and if you do it right you can farm up gold faster then you'd think. This also means that you probably won't push your minions to the enemy tower by yourself (unless you really make a conscious effort to do so) making his lane phase relatively safe and making sure you keep control, which is a good thing obviously and it allows for ganks from your team/lane mate. So far there aren't many players early game that dare tower dive a Shen and if they do they usually end up dead making it quite easy to just solo a lane, hug, farm up and set up an inevitable gank.
On the point of building up warmog's, if you do your job and score assists (as you should) it builds up pretty fast. So far I usually end up with more then 20 assists when the game is over and around 5 or sometimes even 10 kills which means that Warmog's is full pretty fast. Also the hp bonus up front from Warmog's when completed coupled with some decent defense stats (like from Aegis) makes it worth the cost imo.

TL;DR Slow pusher yes, bad farmer no.

GhostDieM

01-06-2011

Quote:
superaznBX:
but its still easily replacable later on i like replacing it with a sunfire

like ur item build but u should consider getting randuins sometimes. very good on Shen, regardless of team composition

Aegis is easily replacable later on but getting it early (it's personally my first item after boots) gives your team a huge advantage early on. Getting it after mid game probably isn't worth it anymore. And yes Randuin's is always good on a tank

Raunchyyy

01-06-2011

Shen is a bad farmer there's no arguing about that since he actually needs a Sunfire to farm effectively. Being a good farmer means that you are able to take out 2-3 minion waves pretty easily without losing much time or needing to spam abilities (unless you're Ezreal). This is the opposite for Shen since he has to attack every single minion individually and he has no aoe that does damage.

Anyways for what this guide is I'd say it's alright. I don't agree with people saying to max out Vorpal Slash first, but that's just me. I do plenty of damage early and mid game with just 1 point in Vorpal Slash, and I still get kills and rarely die in team fights or when getting ganked (unless i get double ulted).

Vodka Gimlet

01-07-2011

This is my first post on the forums and I've been playing LOL 2 weeks now. About 3-4 games most days and I am level 16.

I am not a 'hardcore' player. I don't know what ELO ranks are. And, for the most part, I have to refer to a list of definitions to figure out what ridiculous acronyms are being used. By the way, there seems to be several definitions of 'carry'.

I started playing Shen because I liked the idea of being a tank and I wasn't succeeding as Allistar - so when Shen showed up as a free char I took him for a spin and built him according to the LeagueCraft highest ranked 'Shen Tank Guide'. It was a guide based around Ninja Tabi and Aegis and MR or AR depending on what the enemy team was doing.

Working as this "full Tank" build I had limited success. I would level my taunt early and use it often and hope I survived and I rarely did and when I died usually the entire team went down. Obviously, there should have been a change.

So I followed this guide and I had a lot more success. This guide isn't based around Ki Strike or straight Health. It's a guide based on a different philosophy - that Shen can be a lot more dangerous early and mid game with a more aggressive stance based on Vorpal Sword and doing a Feint tower run and taking no damage if you time it correctly as the OP suggests.

I'm not saying this Optimus Shen is the gospel of Shen, or anything, but it certainly a design philosophy that has merit. Following this guide I often am #2 or #3 in kills and assists anywhere from 10 - 20.

The real strength of this guide is that it argues for a strong set up early and mid game which really sets up late game. The more I play LOL it seems to me that there is no 'perfect' item set up. No one is a 'perfect' tank or a 'perfect' farmer.

However, early game success through kills or frustrating your opponent often sets up victory - which this guide certainly advocates.

Dark Sativa

01-07-2011

Sunfire costs 2600 for 45 armor and 450 health.

Three Hearts of Gold cost 2900 for 81 armor and 600 health.

You'll get much, much more gold from HoG stacking than you will a sunfire. 45min games usually leave me around 15k gold, and you'll usually have all 3 completed by 15min if you're playing well. After this point, let your team do all the farming and you'll end up a good bit stronger overall. After you get the first, don't last hit another creep. Let the carry you're laning with have all the last hits and you focus on harassing and denying with vorpal blade.

I've only ever had to sell one of my 3 HoG's once.

Retroromanic

01-07-2011

Quote:
This is the best way to play Shen

I should've stopped reading there, as I usually do, but seeing how pretentious the writing style was, I just had to read couple of paragraphs to enjoy my afternoon coffee.

Bad guide.