How to lose

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Granrok

01-04-2010

Meorah - definitely one way to take the post. The OP did talk about how he doesn't find himself to be great at the game and is trying to get better. I believe his focus on people constantly blaming something/someone else for a loss typically doesn't make the situation better.

I have found in some instances a player with not many skills will also complain an awful lot - often times blaming others for their own lackluster performance.

Hikaratu

01-04-2010

Didn't read through all of this because I expect the replies to be highyl typical so sorry if somone touched on a similar sentiment.

If you do something ******ed that costs us the game I am going to tell you. I am not of the persuasion to spare someones feelings or not look like a jackass. At the same time if I contributed largely to a loss myself, I know it. I don't have to say it I know what I did, but if the situation calls for it I openly admit it.

People who don't know that they did something wrong will not learn to correct it in the future, so if I don't tell you that you lost the game tower diving with yi all on your lonesome into 3+ stuns and we got counter pushed without our carry up for dps, it can potentially happen to me/some other team again in the future. At the same time I am personally ticking off every single mistake I catch myself doing in my head and trying to correct it down the line but I don't have any need to yell to my team HEY I DID >X< STUPID THING.

The difference between this and your magic the gathering anology is the team element, if you play multiple deck games with alliances in place you can blame your teammate for the loss if it was obviously due to his poor deck construction or bad use of interrupts etc etc, as that's how it went down. I probably just rambled on and said the exact same thing in all of these paragraphs but w/e, people will get the picture skimming over.

I guess it's just whether you place this blame as criticism or covering for your own faults, but not all players who blame people for things alot(like myself) just do it to make them feel better about the loss.

dovvntempo

01-04-2010

I agree with Hikaratu. However, I've caught myself crying like a whiny woman over my failed teammates so I don't do it anymore. I suppose learning how to act with class even in frustrating situations is just something you get better at the more times you encounter it.

That being said, I will tell you what the hell you did wrong if it's obvious you have no brains. It is within my power to change the outcome of the game if I tell the yi to stop feeding and actually fight in our teamfights instead of getting lizard buff while our last mid tower is getting pushed, I will say so. If I have to shout it to him in a way that he'll take notice, I'll do it.

also, I'd like to note that the games that I fed and people weren't jumping down my throat about it, I appreciated it. As long as criticism is done proactively and without venom I think it's alright.

Granrok

01-04-2010

Downtempo - I agree with what you wrote. I want people to tell me what I did wrong, and how to correct it. I think the OP was stating something different. Just messaging everyone that people suck doesn't actually help anything.

If I am out of position, tell me! I start my games by telling my team to tell me where they need me, and I try to accommodate. That isn't difficult. Spouting off that I am always in the wrong position without revealing that you know what the right position is just comes across like whining and not team play.

As you indicated this is a team game, thus it is in your best interest for your teammate, and you, to do what is needed. If you or your teammates are not open to that then yes, you should play a different game like Halo for instance.

Korath Arcolite

01-04-2010

I'm new, and I often play with a friend of mine who is also new. We're both a little of the aggressive side, but learning. I've met a few players who give great hints and I read the forums to see what other people are doing. I ask questions about gear and about hero matchups (who should I lane with/against etc). I'm trying to learn the game as fast as I can so that my team will benefit from me as a player. However this takes time and practice and a lot of people have no patience. I've been reamed out, spammed, belittled and whatnot by my own team a fair bit. I usually reply "go cry moar!" or something to that effect. Whiners lose games just as badly as feeders. They break moral, they lose focus and they don't offer words of wisdom that could turn the tide of battle.

I recently had a game where an experienced player saw that my friend and I were mismatched in our respective lanes. He told us to switch, came in and helped pull a couple quick ganks and we were back in the game. We won after a bit of back and forth but only because that player was proactive and helpful instead of a ragefilled and whiny.

GLHf everyone! See you in game

Hikaratu

01-04-2010

Hello korath =P Were you and your friend ashe and sivir and said helpful person was Ryze? If so I was the Ryze that game. Someone warned that you two were new so I was alot more proactive about being helpful. Which is another lesson in itself, if you aren't confident, tell the rest of your team and at worst they'l start raging sooner where they were going to rage anyway. xP

Ennbeard

01-04-2010

I have no problem being told that I messed up, so long as they tell me HOW I mess up.

If someone simply says 'Nitro sucks' and I ask why, what can I do to improve, and they simply respond with 'not suck'. That's just stupid. Especially when they lead the team in deatsh by over twice as much as anyone else.

my biggest issue is like, teamfights. At first, i was new so didn't understand how they all worked. Now it's a matter of severe lag when there are oer 6 champs on screen, which means I'm not playing as much until I get a new copmuter.

But still, if you're gonna tell someone they suck, tell them waht they did wrong so they can actually improve.

Morzas

01-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaratu View Post
The difference between this and your magic the gathering anology is the team element, if you play multiple deck games with alliances in place you can blame your teammate for the loss if it was obviously due to his poor deck construction or bad use of interrupts etc etc, as that's how it went down. I probably just rambled on and said the exact same thing in all of these paragraphs but w/e, people will get the picture skimming over.
The analogy still works. In MTG, you have no control over luck, so saying "oh, I lost because I got mana-screwed" or "oh, I lost because he had a good hand" are two things that will comfort you, but you will never get better by saying them. There's always SOMETHING you actively could have done to play better, and if you think that you are perfect, then you are, well, wrong.

Similarly, saying "Oh, we lost because they were a premade", "we lost because [x player on our team] sucks" or "matchmaking is bugged" is not constructive. You cannot improve at all by saying those sorts of things, because those are factors outside of your control. The most constructive thing you can do is analyze what YOU did, and improve on that. A replay feature would help a lot with that. I know for sure that I make dozens of mistakes every game, and I want to see them all so I can improve.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2010

someone always wants to blame something on the loss. The majority of the time its just that your team was outplayed.. That is including you and your preformance. There is a time where 1 persons play can win a game, but it requires everyone on the other team to lose it, not 1 person.

If they see you doing something wrong, or you them, you either need to correct it, or compensate for it, and if that can not be done, you get outplayed. If you are outplayed you lose. I get blamed a lot for game loses... and yeah, sometimes I do something stupid and realize it, but more often than not, its my teams fault for doing something stupid as well. Learn from it and try to perfect as much of your game as possible, and try to compensate for mistakes you make, and make less of them as the game goes on. You will win more.

Hikaratu

01-04-2010

Ah, I interpreted the analogy a bit wrong Morzas, the way you put it is pretty correct yes.