Radical gameplay changing idea about noise

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlobPower

01-04-2011

This is just a suggestion, let's see if it's worth anything.

I noticed that you can hear stuff in the fog of war while nobody is around, for example if somebody is killing baron right now. I assume some people like it, some hate it and others don't care.

My idea would be to introduce a new kind of sight range, but for noise and then only play the sounds in the hearing range. Something like 30% more than sight range?

This alone would make the game more realistic, but would take a lot of effort to implement -> never going to happen.

But how about displaying small "radar" dots on the mini map for everything that is going on in the fog of war which the team can hear? Like if you place a ward behind Baron, and when the enemy team is doing anything there, you'll see it on the map, but not who, or how many people are fighting Baron. Maybe only champs and towers should have a hearing range, or else it would buff wards too much.

I guess it's not going to happen, because it's a lot of work and/or would change the gameplay too much, but i would love to see new elements combined with this:
- A new champ, a spy, with increased hearing range, maybe for the whole team. Or a skill to hear what's going on, on a certain location on the map. Or an ult that allows to teleport to somewhere where he heard something ...
- Noise detectors as items with bigger range than sight wards, but no view range
- Some fake noise generator, either as skill or item, to lead the enemy into traps

DeliciousCrepes

01-04-2011

The thing is, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be able to hear stuff in fog of war

Moridin239

01-05-2011

I think hes talking about realism here. Fog of war is based on Line of Sight, while sound is realistically based on direct distance between two points.

I actually wouldn't mind this....but I'm not sure if this isn't already there? We all know that there is SOME sound range. Abilities like MF's ulti that go along with a sound clip can only be heard close to where the ulti is cast. I'm also pretty sure that I've heard people casting certain abilities (not normal attacking, im talking about the abilities with sounds) in the Fog.