Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Need help? A guide to ELO and ways to improve your rating.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stormwake

02-01-2011

Okay, i've read this post and i can agree with a bit of what everone is saying, but here's what i think is the true problem with this elo system.

1: New players start at 1200, making anyone near 1200 have to play with people who are either new level 30s, people just trying ranked for the first time, trolls just trying to mess with people, or just bad players. This creates a HUGE problem with this elo system, as decent players that have been playing ranked for a very long time still have to play with people who just don't seem to care, are new and don't know what they are doing, or are just bad. I'm 1200 atm, i've been 1400 and i've been 1000, and the reason I can't seem to climb may be partly because I'm not good enough, but let's be logical here. This is a team game, and no matter how good you do in a game, 1 person can ruin it for you every time. Your team comp can be completely inferior, the other team can have a low level and a high level duo that are on vent together, making it imbalanced, etc. So many factors not under your control, you have VERY LITTLE control over the game, fact. What control you do have is limited and it's very frustrating.

2: Duo que. Players duo queing makes solo que ranked unfair. Low elo players paired with high elo players, low elo players paired and playing at higher rating then they should, etc. This is also a huge problem with this system. This is solo que and the majority of players ARE playing solo.

3: People just don't care, or they care so much that they will flame and harass or feed intentionally. Not only is this bad for team morale, and give the other team a HUGE advantage, but it's almost enough to make alot of players want to quit themselves afterwards.

These are the main 3 reasons why in solo que ranked, elo hell is so hard to get out of. I've been waiting all season for riot to change this system so its more fair, but its clear they wont so i am waiting for season 2 in hopes that this system will be changed.

RIOT, if you do nothing else then this, please do this. Change the fact that new players come in at 1200. WoW's arena system had its flaws, but it gave new players a chance to learn from the start. Starting them at 0 rating, making them gain rating for wins and lose nothing from losses, until they reached 1000. After that they would gain rating for wins and lose rating for losses, making 1000 the lowest they could ever be. Like i said this system isn't the best either, but its FAR more fair then the system you have implemented. The MOST frustrating thing i can think of is playing with players with sub 5 wins that feed 0-12, etc. when i have almost 1000 games played in ranked. You might say its sad and that i must suck not to be able to climb out of elo hell in this many games, and this might partly be true, but trust me in that in a large majority of these games there was factors completely out of my control that i could do nothing about. Anyone that has played in elo hell a while will understand this.

I rarely post on forums but the time has come for me to post my oppinion somewhere. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read all of this, and sorry its so long.

Stormwake

02-01-2011

That's cool i make a post and it goes on page 7, and page 7 isn't even accessible?

Edit, maintenance and server lag, it's showing up now ~_~

Yukuuo

04-02-2011

some players think your bashing on them if you tell them what to build so eh...Even by saying all these "tips" Believe me i have tried them b4 even looking @ this and its just players who just hit lv 30 or just play the champions they want and pretty much do not give a "hoot" about what your vision for ranked games really is.

Starting off nice telling teamates a build when they ask and then they dont do it and blame every1 for why they do bad when clearly its just simple reasons. I do not have many ranked games in so elo just jumps up and down quickly but its pretty hard gettin out of 1300s-1400s with me being captain all the time and helping teamates to a certain point.

Sniklfrites

04-03-2011

Quote:
Onisake:
There's a couple major problem with this.

it assumes you can carry. you must be able to carry to climb ranks. you can't be a good little team player and only support your carry(s).

Some champions just aren't meant to carry. and try as you might during champion select, you can't always get the role you're best suited too. IE: i am best with casters and support. but do poorly when it comes to DPS carries (unless they are pure pushers: Sivir) or tanking. I can jungle moderately well. but i do so much better as a mid it's better if i don't jungle, and take that spot on the team. anyone with a brain, can figure out what my problem is right here: casters are too easy to counter. even if i get fed, if my team doesn't pull through and push in some towers....well...GG. not to mention, if you are carrying, and your team is bad enough they are feeding, all the enemy has to do is build to counter you and...well..GG. you throw someone on guard duty, and i can't take towers with my sivir no mo'.

you buy treads and a banshee's i can't rape your face with my blanc in one combo no mo'

example: as blanc my role is to assasinate carry champs. i flank during a team fight and kill a carry. i almost always get fed at my current elo, so i can typically kill a carry with sigil => mimic and if it's a tank i'll have to => distortion => chain. => sigil. if they get a BV, i open with chain => sigil => mimic and distortion out. come back around to the front and help kill the remaining 4 champs or remain in flank position depending.

but that doesn't work when i kill a carry, and the rest of my team focuses the tank and gets murdered by the other 3 champs.

I remember one time, i initiated, killed two dps (one with q=>r (teemo). the other with e=>w=>q=>ignite (WW)) and promptly died to the other 3 champs. the rest of my team lost the resulting 4v3 against a malphite, (who used his ult on me to try to save WW, but missed me) morgana (also used her ult on me while i tried to run away. her stun is what killed me), and Olaf

the game favors 'complete' carries. champs who can take towers, kill champs, and initiate. that's why Ashe is one of the top carries. she can initiate witha stun, she's easy to play, she can murder champs, and push towers. she's an excellent all around champ. this is why MF is a top carry. her ult can initiate well, she can murder champs, and take towers.

in reality, your guide can be summerized into this:
1) learn to carry with a complete carry. needs to be able to both take towers and kill champs. (malphite, ashe, MF, xin, yi, rammus, etc)
2) don't be stingy: buy wards.
3) be map aware and concious of map objectives.
4) dont' be a ******.
5) talk to your team.
6) be construvtive with your criticism and not 'lol noob buy moar BV for AP'
7) know your champs (not just the ones you play)

If you think i'm full of **** then i challenge you to prove me wrong: go back down to 1k ELO and climb back up to 1500 using only these champs: DPS: Sivir; Support: Soraka/Sona; Tank: Taric/alistar; mage: Karthus/blanc; jungler: irelia.

So your point is you can't carry your team without carrying your team. I get that. But I think a support champion such as morgana can change the out come of ganks and most team fights with just black shield if you are good enough with it. Soraka can make bottom a solo a lane giving you 2-3 solo lanes and she can baby sit not to mention she can zone most champions without the help of her lane mate. If you see where i'm going with this you are saying you can't improve your elo without playing a carry but over a long enough sample period if you improved your elo will follow.

Now I also think he is missing the importance of champion selection but you are too. If you are last pick on team face it you could be jungle if you **** up it is your fault for not improving your jungling you deserve the loss for it not your teams fault for not letting you get ashe for mid because it was the only champion you know how to play.

I am pretty all of his information is relevant to raising your elo. You can win a game considering you are all equally skilled players just by knowing the spawns of jungle creeps if you know dragon spawns 6 minutes after you kills it and get back there for another quick kill you gained the advantage off of one small piece of information. Anyone can bring that information to their team if you bring them enough you can educate any team willing to listen to you to victory. As for the games where you have feeders and 3 people insta lock carries it is your job to try and balance the game into your favor via your knowledge and skill. He is telling you that understanding the basics of the game spawn timers, last hitting, counter building, team co-ordination, communication and awareness will make a bigger difference then me telling you that you have to play ashe no matter what if you don"t you lose also you need to get a infinity edge on her with 5 phantom dancers and boots of speed.

He is right you are irrelevant I suppose thats why i found this thread.

You don't need to carry to win your lane and that is what is most important for you to do. Win your lane kill your tower move on. No where do i see carry necessary. If you know when to presser the other teams mid to bot and top to mid you can kill top tower with ease. Yes thats right any character can right click thats all you need to push a lane. Your carry wins games has some support behind it but you lose a lane as a support it is just as bad as if you lost it as a carry.

If you always help win the game and never help lose the game your elo will rise. Even if you play ad soraka or tank teemo you will win and gain rating.

USC Zeratul

Recruiter

04-03-2011

I know this works if the rest of your team will cooperate
I've had games where I try to help my team, but they just don't listen
For example, there's a Tryn that is 1,8,4
I told him not to overextend as much.
He blamed all his deaths on having no tank, but he was basically suicidng
Our tank told him he didn't want to suicide with him.
He just kept dying...

Sniklfrites

04-03-2011

Quote:
PStyle:
I know this works if the rest of your team will cooperate
I've had games where I try to help my team, but they just don't listen
For example, there's a Tryn that is 1,8,4
I told him not to overextend as much.
He blamed all his deaths on having no tank, but he was basically suicidng
Our tank told him he didn't want to suicide with him.
He just kept dying...

Those are the 40% of games you should expect to lose but try to win.

Saawa

04-03-2011

Quote:
Sniklfrites:
ad soraka or tank teemo.
Scary **** right there

DarkPsx

07-26-2011

bump

MelofMovement

07-26-2011

This is fantastic. My boyfriend and I both read it and think it is very well stated

I don't currently played ranked but I am looking to start, after reading this i feel better about doing so.
We started a website called spiritgamers (http://spiritgamers.org/) that looks for other people in LOL that look to have fun in game and feel great afterwards. We encourage all of the things you talk about and even a few extras.
(http://spiritgamers.org/account/forums/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=49)
This article is fantastic and we'd love to put it up on the site as well if thats cool.

Thanks! You rock!
in game name (melofmovement)
or you can join the "spiritgamers" chatroom in game.

Deathfairy

07-26-2011

@onisnake
I didn't want to quote his huge post again.
Bro you play leblank the most worthless caster in the game and you wonder why you cant carry?
Unless you are 30:0 and they rage quit, you have failed. Even when fed leblank is worthless in team fights. The fact that you just don't get it shows that u are where you belong.