Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Skarner Rework Follow Through

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MajorPain9

04-14-2014

Alright Skarner fans, I have found some updates for everyone to read:

Quote:
"That is the danger of talking about things too early. Xelnath had some very early ideas that sounded at least interesting on paper, but we never had anything in a playtest, which is where you learn very quickly if your ideas work or not (I threw out my first kit for Warwick after a week or two of testing) When Xelnath discovered he wouldn't have the time to do this rework himself he handed it off, but scruffy is super busy as well. Scruffy is the design lead on reworks, so he coordinates with all current reworks (sion and Warwick being the big ones; fiora has just started up and there's at least two others we have not talked about yet) so it was unlikely that he would get to Yorick soon - he did skarner, took over Rengar, did some work on taric, etc. Additionally, Yorick is a big scale rework. My opinion is that we will have to throw out all skills on the rework. Even Warwick got to keep the core of two skills. This is a huge project that'll take months of design work and a full group of art rioters to support the relaunch. We can only ever do one of those at a time, and sion and Warwick are definitely getting done first.
Tldr: that thread was about very early ideas, no one is currently working on this, don't expect it any time soon.
What I will say is that when we get to it, we'll do Yorick justice. We'll figure out the exact archetype we want to bring out and support it with a healthy kit that we can allow to be powerful. It'll just be a while. Wanna change that? Apply for a job and come help us! The number one reason we can't move faster is because we need more people!

So Scruffy is in charge of watching over all of the current reworks, and this includes him being the lead of a few of them.

Quote:
There is always pain when we remake something you guys were used to. As players who are "heads down" most of the time, that is thinking mostly about this current game and the one before, it's hard to pick up patterns that show that certain champions are just plain bad for the game. We generally undertune those champions so they don't get picked. Let's take pre-change Skarner: this was a champion who, once he got ahead, would always get to you and always perma-slow you until you or he died. His numbers HAD to be low because if they'd been competitive, he would have ruined games left and right.
We learned a thing with the Skarner remake: it's not enough to just fix the problems with a champion if those problems were what made his fans pick him in the first place. We'll find an answer to the question of "why would you want to pick Skarner?", don't worry.

My current issue with this is Riot feels as if previous Skarner was impossible to prevent from getting in range. I feel like they assumed he would always have this capability and that might be the reasoning for his nerf to W.

Quote:
"It's a common mistake I see here on the forums to judge a rework by its power level. Those two are very different things. I think all three champions you mentioned got a LOT healthier for the game due to their reworks. Is their tuning where it needs to be? I'm not sure. I assume no? But there's always a learning curve with new play patterns."

Full article here: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/22xuv4/its_been_9_months_since_we_were_informed_that/cgrllly

Surrender @ 20 easy to read version: http://www.surrenderat20.net/2014/04/red-post-collection-urf-is-over.html

Venus Project

04-15-2014

'sup?

Venus Project

04-15-2014

Quote:
RiotScruffy:
We still have plans for Skarner, mostly in the realm of bringing excitement and a bit of the old identity that people liked about the old Skarner back.

We can keep a lot of the gameplay gains (versatility, windows of power/weakness) and add a bit more stickiness/cc control that people liked about the old kit. I've been in ongoing discussions about these changes with a lot of the team, and I should get down to implementing them sometime next week. When we have a more final changelist, I'll let you know what we intend to do.

Scruffy-doo!

MajorPain9

04-15-2014

Bump

Limbo Pete

04-15-2014

Quote:
MajorPain9:
Alright Skarner fans, I have found some updates for everyone to read:

So Scruffy is in charge of watching over all of the current reworks, and this includes him being the lead of a few of them.

My current issue with this is Riot feels as if previous Skarner was impossible to prevent from getting in range. I feel like they assumed he would always have this capability and that might be the reasoning for his nerf to W.

Full article here: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/22xuv4/its_been_9_months_since_we_were_informed_that/cgrllly

Surrender @ 20 easy to read version: http://www.surrenderat20.net/2014/04/red-post-collection-urf-is-over.html

Nice job. Good find!

MajorPain9

04-15-2014

It sucks just waiting though. Right now 4.7 is months away and it feels like a kick in the balls that Rengar is being focused before the scorpion just because he has a new skin that riot can make money off of.

Shahamut

04-15-2014

Still think this: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4360194&highlight=what+the+skarner+rework+should+have+been

would be awesome.

MajorPain9

04-16-2014

Bump

Shahamut

04-16-2014

Keep on bumping!

PhoenixSlayer13

04-16-2014

Scruff, I hope we can see those changes soon. You did say next week, after all.

Thanks in advance.