Skarner Rework Follow Through

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Awesomax

04-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
We still have plans for Skarner, mostly in the realm of bringing excitement and a bit of the old identity that people liked about the old Skarner back.

We can keep a lot of the gameplay gains (versatility, windows of power/weakness) and add a bit more stickiness/cc control that people liked about the old kit. I've been in ongoing discussions about these changes with a lot of the team, and I should get down to implementing them sometime next week. When we have a more final changelist, I'll let you know what we intend to do.
^__^ thanks for giving us a heads up. I'm sure it feels really vulnerable putting yourself out on GD, but I sure appreciate these kinds of posts.

Valenten

04-05-2014

Quote:
We still have plans for Skarner, mostly in the realm of bringing excitement and a bit of the old identity that people liked about the old Skarner back.

We can keep a lot of the gameplay gains (versatility, windows of power/weakness) and add a bit more stickiness/cc control that people liked about the old kit. I've been in ongoing discussions about these changes with a lot of the team, and I should get down to implementing them sometime next week. When we have a more final changelist, I'll let you know what we intend to do.
Scruffy I have actually been brainstorming about his stickiness issues and came up with his E applying a debuff that lasts a certain amount of time maybe 5 seconds or so and each time he autos it refreshes the slow but with each refresh it has a diminishing return on the effectiveness of the slow down to 15%. What are your thoughts about this?

Valenten

04-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numot View Post
And this is why riot needs to back off on the Fiora rework, they all end like this. If Guinsoo is allowed to completely mutate Fiora like he plans too months from now you will be saying

"We still have plans for Fiora, mostly in the realm of bringing excitement and a bit of the old identity that people liked about the old Fiora back."
The difference between Guinsoo and quite a few of the designers at Riot is that Guinsoo has had VERY successful champions come out and has loads of experience in game design. He was one of the creators of the original Dota afterall. I personally trust Guinsoo with reworking her.

dankganks69

04-05-2014

IMO this nerf was completely unnecessary, just like the Rengar nerfs. Both had subpar win rates and pick rates, but were good and fun if you learned them. Now they are both just absolutely terrible. For all those sucking up to Riot/Scruffy and saying "he had to do it, they were cancer" just think about the champs. They both got nerfed hard, essentially taking an underplayed, UP, but at least fun champ and turning it into an even less played, more UP, and completely unfun champ. I would be in favor of even completely reverting these reworks. They serve no purpose in the improving of the game, or the balancing of the game, or even increasing counterplay.
Posted the same thing in the Rengar thread.

dankganks69

04-05-2014

Hopefully, some day, Scruffy will decide to give ONE fuck about what we think and get rid of these shitty reworks.

IcyOps

04-05-2014

Quote:

Thank you sir!
Skarner was very frustrating to play without the permaslow as he got kited all day..
Also, I dont understand how the permaslow was toxic as there is redbuff, frozen mallet, and Ashe.. All of these can also be applied by a ranged champion. Atleast Skarner had to be fairly close for this. Currently, E is wayy too unreliable and it just doesn't fit his gameplay, maybe a targetted E would work better but honestly bringing back the permaslow on his Q in a modified way would be greatly beneficial to his gameplay. In the current meta, Skarner didn't need a nerf, the last time Skarner saw some good gameplay was in S2 world championships. Noone even thought of him in S3. The current changes are nerfs and I am glad to see that you are addressing this. Please do a good job and redeem yourself.

IcyOps

TheBeardedFool

04-05-2014

I've been playing Skarner some through Season 3 and 4 and picked him up as a main recently. I do miss the permaslow of old Skarner but understand the imbalance it causes. As for his current form, I've been enjoying much more success using Feral Flare. This could be due the item being overpowered (which it seems to be) or just a good item for Skarner. I always build Iceborn Gauntlet so I get the old permaslow back.
Overall he does still feel weak and it is hard to make his ult worthwhile.
The thing that I like about Feral is how it counts the kills you get with Hunter Machete and such too, so you can just easily get feral at about 15 min.

Shahamut

04-05-2014

Quote:

Thanks Scruffy. Have you looked at any of the suggestions given in these threads? Can't wait to see whats going to happen.

Coldmanj

04-05-2014

Quote:

At last the silence is broken, thank you so much scruffy. I was hoping you would pick him back up once rengar hit live . Will you be cleaning crystal slash up so it is a bit more complete feeling as well?

Hawkefire

04-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenten View Post
Scruffy I have actually been brainstorming about his stickiness issues and came up with his E applying a debuff that lasts a certain amount of time maybe 5 seconds or so and each time he autos it refreshes the slow but with each refresh it has a diminishing return on the effectiveness of the slow down to 15%. What are your thoughts about this?
This has been suggested before....Scruffy even acknowledged the suggestion and placed a poll up of them either increasing the duration of the slow (flat) or by adding the new mechanic in your post. The result was overwhelmingly in favor of introducing the new mechanic, but he went ahead and ignored the idea of the new mechanic entirely as was shown in the following days.