High Elo Viable Crit Gangplank Guide ( by Feel no Fear )

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warburton

01-03-2011

I'd like to say 3 things about Feel no Fears Gangplank:

1) He runs 100% crit because that means his damage output is reliable. You will NEVER not crit. Red numbers. All the time. Once you run 100% crit you will never go back.
I am saving up for the crit% quints (aka I don't have them yet) which puts me at 96% crit with my first Phantom Dancer, and honestly, even 4% off of 100% makes a BIG difference when your parrley on a fleeing enemy doesnt proc a crit and loses you the "easy" kill =/

2) Not only is Feel no Fear's build the best GP build (in my opinion), he is also the best GP player I have seen thus far. I mean, his build HAS to be part of the reason he does so well, especially on a character like GP where items, runes, and masteries mean A LOT.

3)His stream is not some lame ass High ELO bull**** you see in every other stream. He doesnt rage OP, he doesnt rage UP, he doesnt diss other players and he will constantly pander to "noobs" on his stream and on his friends list when they have quesitons about Gangplank. Thats probably the reason this guide is here.

Anyways, enough kissassing, but if I say anything at all listen to this!

tl;dr try the build before you flame. red numbers. everywhere.

tsukou

01-03-2011

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about possibly one philosopher's stone to replace an avarice blades purely for prolonging your ability to lane, sometimes I feel like the hp/regen is helpful, and mana regen helps before the mp5 runes kick in.

Motyapa

01-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukou View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you feel about possibly one philosopher's stone to replace an avarice blades purely for prolonging your ability to lane, sometimes I feel like the hp/regen is helpful, and mana regen helps before the mp5 runes kick in.
he uses mana regen runes, and Remove scurvy heals.

Onslaught87

01-04-2011

Alright fear. Explain this to me. When we talked, you said something about 7 minutes, your investment gets reimbursed.

Once you have all 3 avarice blades, it takes 8 minutes for them to reimburse one. 90 gold per minute x 8 is 720...and actually that falls short. You need 8 min and 20 seconds I believe.

For all 3, you need 25 min.

If you went straight to 1 avarice, and 2 cloaks, you have a setup to complete a ghostblade later, infinity from the first cloak, and phantom for the second. Seems a LOT faster and more cost efficient while yielding way more crit chance from the cloaks earlier in the game.

Your build does work though...just trying to understand why it's better than what I just listed.

PineapplePine

01-04-2011

I don't know, I'm not high elo or pro Gangplank player. But I do hate two things, 1 all I do is Parrrley once every whatever the cooldown is, or 2 I die because I try to "contibute" something more than a Parrrley. Yes yes I know Parrrley deals insane damage but someone told me that if you crunch the numbers out, the DPS ends up being nothing "special" compared to other hard physical DPS carries.

In other words, what I am saying is that you have like no survibility. If a Ryze catches you even with your Scurvy, you're toast unless you kill him first. This is definitely possible, so it can go both ways. Perhaps he is an amazing player such that a build with not so much survibility (other than movement speed) is totally fine.

sTrikerT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2011

the build works, i run with same mastery and flash ghost for escape, the point of 100% crit is that they will be scared of your parley, with good reasons. plus you hit like a truck and move like race car.

Cenerae

01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught87 View Post
Alright fear. Explain this to me. When we talked, you said something about 7 minutes, your investment gets reimbursed.

Once you have all 3 avarice blades, it takes 8 minutes for them to reimburse one. 90 gold per minute x 8 is 720...and actually that falls short. You need 8 min and 20 seconds I believe.

For all 3, you need 25 min.

If you went straight to 1 avarice, and 2 cloaks, you have a setup to complete a ghostblade later, infinity from the first cloak, and phantom for the second. Seems a LOT faster and more cost efficient while yielding way more crit chance from the cloaks earlier in the game.

Your build does work though...just trying to understand why it's better than what I just listed.
I've watched him stream a couple of games. Basically he takes a solo lane, farms up the 3 avarice blades within the first 10-15 minutes at worst, then sits in the lane denying it so he doesn't leave tower safety and farming until he can buy an IE, contributing to ganks with his ult while doing so. He doesn't really start actively contributing until he has that IE, so having those blades is going to pay off for him given how long he usually has hold of them.

Onslaught87

01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
you'll notice that he doesn't sell them/use the slots until about 12-13k gold into the game (which is when he first considers getting armor penetration), at which point they will have made him a small profit. so, if you plan on not contributing much for a very long game, they're actually a better deal since the passive will end up paying you to be an avarice stacking ******.

Ok let's do a mock scenario. Forgive me, as I'm not that nerdy into elo yet and I honestly don't pay attention to what times I buy what on average. So I'll make an educated guess for sake of argument. I'll throw in the extra 2% from masteries.

Around the 10 min mark, you blue pill back and buy an avarice and maybe some boots.

Around 20, you pill back and get 2 avarices.

Total avarice deduction: -2250g
10 min x 5g/10s: 300g
Crit chance: 36% +2%

Around the 30 min mark, you're starting to get your IE, and maybe a cloak depending on gameplay and ganks...but with only 38% (not counting runes) so it really is random without a great team or a stupid opponent.

10 min x 15g/10s: 900g

At 30 min, your 3 avarices have wielded 1200g and produce only 38% chance of crit. Assuming you get an IE at this point, you have 58% chance which is starting to get ideal. With a cloak, you got 76%.

1200g-2250g: -1050g

Now assume at the 30 min mark, you sell those 3 avarice blades for....what's the profit, half? So 375x3

325g x 3: 1125g
1125g-1050g: 75g

At 30 min, you made a profit of 75g by selling all 3 avarice blades.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my way:

You start with buying the gloves for the 10% and get an avarice on the first pill back at say 10 min.

Around 20 min, you pill back and get 2 cloaks INSTEAD of 2 avarices.

Avarice and cloak deduction: -2510g
10 min x 5g/10s: 300g
Crit chance: 48% +2%

For less the 300g, I got 12% more crit chance at the same point in time. More importantly, I won't be wasting any future gold as I will build the first avarice late game into ghostblade. I am already on my way to IE and Phantom way faster than the 3 avarice build. With my higher crit chance and getting that IE faster, I will get more ganks and assists and hence more gold from ganks and farming than the avarices will wield.

At 30 min, my one avarice has wielded 600g and I produce 50% chance of crit. Now because I didn't waste on the first 2 avarices, I should have enough for IE right now and a Phantom Dancer which gives me 50% + 2% (remaining gain for getting IE) + 12% (remaining gain for PD) which gives me 64% crit.

While his build at this point gives an advantage of having 12% more crit, my build already has the IE crit damage boost, massive move speed from PD, attack speed (not really needed, but 1v1 it will be unless you can kite like mad.) AND I'm already into my ghostblade build with the first avarice...I don't sell it and lose profit. So soon,I have arm pen, 15% CD reduction, and 3% more crit giving me 67% crit.

In the end, at about the same point it's his 76% to my 64% BUT given my being smart with money and building crit into later items instead of selling the avarices which won't build into anything he does, and given that I have better move speed, crit dmg, AS, AD...I will get more kills from farming and ganks thus getting my crit past his 76% faster while being more godly early game.

That was a lot of typing and math....if there are mistakes please point them out lol.

Now discuss. I'm only playing devil's advocate so we are clear. I'm still trying to figure out if his build is better...but on paper it's not looking that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineapplePine View Post
I don't know, I'm not high elo or pro Gangplank player. But I do hate two things, 1 all I do is Parrrley once every whatever the cooldown is, or 2 I die because I try to "contibute" something more than a Parrrley. Yes yes I know Parrrley deals insane damage but someone told me that if you crunch the numbers out, the DPS ends up being nothing "special" compared to other hard physical DPS carries.

In other words, what I am saying is that you have like no survibility. If a Ryze catches you even with your Scurvy, you're toast unless you kill him first. This is definitely possible, so it can go both ways. Perhaps he is an amazing player such that a build with not so much survibility (other than movement speed) is totally fine.
So don't get caught...bad planks rush in. I've seen many good planks who go for kills the whole game and get them because they are smart. They have map awareness. They utilize the ulti and 1v1 or 1v2 and get the kills. Plank can melee late game with all his crit dmg and AS from PD. Just gotta be smart about it. In team battles, stay out of it. People will rail you for being fail and just parrrleying from afar but that is your job.

Team battle, you:

A- Raise morale
B- Ulti
C- Stay back and parrrley unless someone goes astray giving you a chance to 1v1 them to death.

Onslaught87

01-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
see, his build if you read through it goes more like this:

-spend 2600g (plus upgrade cost for boots) to get 3 avarice blades and boots.
-contribute nothing to your team except denying one lane at a time and the occasional ult for about 10,000g worth of farming.
-if you team hasn't won/lost for you by now, go sell one avarice blade for a phantom dancer or *gasp* some armor penetration so you can start to do some damage.

farming up 10,000 worth of gold takes longer than the 10 minutes you proposed, so he's making more off of those blades than what you quoted. you don't have to play devil's advocate, you can just straight up hate his build. it's perfectly acceptable to do so.
Wait I didn't say or imply 10 min gets you 10k gold?!

I'm starting to understand that...his build is more for denying a lane and soloing where as mine isn't. I'm playing a lot like him in that I let them push to our turret for my advantage...but I always get stuck in a 2v2 lane. Idk how he always gets 1v1 on a side lane.

His build seems appropriate for what he does as it takes time and his goal is keeping that lane and farming, where as mine is keeping the lane, farming, and getting kills ASAP. I like to be on the offense a lot...so it's surprising I don't lose my sanity playing defensively with plank for 10-20 min. Then again...I do get good ganks based off of stupid moves as I'm in low elo. I know things will change once I go back up...assuming I do. Still trying to figure the best way of getting out of elo hell. My bank is on using tower rapists like yi and shaco...my plank while good isn't carrying bad teams to victory because he sucks at taking turrets alone.

Onslaught87

01-04-2011

Alright. After reviewing some ****, I think there's a way we can both win here. I now see the advantage of incorporating both his build and mine into the best build imo.

3 crit quints for 6% crit
Red armor pen
Blue and Yellow mp5
2% crit from masteries

Start with brawlers for 16%

Pill back when you can get 2 avarice and boots 1 for 32%

Pill back when you can get 2 cloaks for 68%

Pill back when you can get boots 2 and a zeal for 78% (I debated on whether another cloak was the better choice, but I'd rather have that extra run and AS. Farming at this point gets easier and you can tear through minions while parrrley is on cd)

At this point, you have full inventory. First build a cloak into an IE for 80% and 2.5x crit dmg.

Now finish the zeal into a PD for 100%.

Upgrade 1 avarice into ghostblade for 103%.

Sell the 2nd avarice and get a Last Whisper for 91%

Turn the cloak into another IE if there's time for 93%

Not quite 100% but with green pot it is.

Edit: Wrote a guide. http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/12549

Credit given to Feel a Fear for the help.