Need a Mage DPS Recommendation.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sideways X

01-02-2011

I'm new (fairly obvious) and was hoping I could get some suggestions on some "Glass Cannon" champions as well as a general idea on play style for them. Don't care about difficulty as I can't imagine its anything other than practicing with them and learning their style. That's pretty much it, thanks in advance.

Side note: can I get a "leaver penalty" explanation? I DCed from my last match and I'm level 1now.

Belbin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2011

There are many "glass cannons" as far as AP champions go. A general playstyle for most casters is to run into a teamfight after the tank, blow all your spells, and then back off until your spells are off of cooldown. You may want to save any disables however (such as Ryze's Rune Prison) for when it matters and to avoid stacking disables on a target (3 stuns on an enemy is not as useful all at once as they are spaced out). Each champion of course has their own spell cycle.

Anivia is one of the best caster champions in the game, with some pretty good utility and farming capability to go along with her high burst damage. She is very difficult to play correctly, though is very worth it.

Fiddlesticks is one of my personal favorites. He has one of the longest duration disables in the game, can drain health from enemies to keep his own nice and high, and has an ulti that can help win many teamfights. On top of that, he is one of the best junglers in the game!

Karthus is another reliable champion with very high damage, though his is more sustained than most casters. One of his abilities is very spammable in terms of cooldown and cost, and he has a nice area slow. His ulti being able to hit every enemy along with his ability to cast spells after dying make him a big target because he can always be ready to kill an enemy.

About the leaver penalty, I am fairly sure that you lose experience and IP for leaving a normal game, which might have dropped you down to level 1 if you were not a very high summoner level before. This is to prevent people from leaving every game. What level were you before you played that game?

Sideways X

01-02-2011

Ah thanks for the info, I'll look into those. As for the level, I believe I was 3.

OmniOmega

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2011

I'd say Karthus or Vlad is the closest things we have to Mage DPS champions (DPS=Damage Per Second, which implies sustained damage. Mages by definition rely on burst damage).

That said, Annie (1350 IP) is the traditional "Get to know the caster role!" champion. Very bursty, 2 AoE spells, decent cooldowns, stuns every 6th spellcast, kind of squishy though.

Gamerlx

01-02-2011

A very mobile glass cannon is kassidin. He is a very hard champ to learn but his ult, riftwalk, makes him a very unique champ. His main two damaging spell have disables as well. However, he is very squishy and if he gets caught, he's a good as dead.

Riot lists him as melee dps but I think that the better way to play him is ap.

jokull

01-02-2011

cassopiea is about to become a very good dps type mage, since she does very good continous damage, but requires a lot of skill to use to maximum effect. i would suggest starting with ryze or annie, as they are good champs to start out on, and can unload lots of damage while still having alright sustained damage.

as for the leaver problem, we can only advise trying hard to not leave, and if you do have conenction problems and have to drop from a game, try to understand that no matter what makes you leave, it still ruins the experience for the other 9 players who dont know whether you left on purpose or because of dc/ing issues. penalties become less potent as you level up though, so you shouldnt have to worry about them too much

ShadyGrave

01-02-2011

most mages are burst, except a few (anivia and annie are burst/sustained with their ults).

ide give annie a try for sure, solid mage and not expensive. kassadin and leblanc are glass cannon assasin type mages.

Audhulma

01-03-2011

Leblanc is a cool glass cannon, Annie is pretty fun but has somewhat low Ap bonuses. If not for the fact that fiddlesticks has infinite health drain now I would call him a glass cannon, alas this is not true. Anymore. Cassiopeia seems to fit the bill as well, but I have no experience using her personally.

MoneyJr

01-04-2011

Ryze would be another glass cannon

Lord of Diablo

Recruiter

01-05-2011

I can't beleive that nobody has suggested Veigar he's cheap and one of the best 'glass cannons' in the game