@Riot Updates on Shaco rework

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hidden Dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by fevercry View Post
it sucks that riot is hyper attentive to competitive champ balance, but then....doesn't try to buff up champs that see no tournament play for YEARS. Or just do the typical "we'll nerf these guys down then come back to rebalance them! don't worry guys!" then do the Master Yi **** where they ruin a niche champ and then just nerf him down to garbage tier and are fairly content to leave him there
Riot is only attentive to champions that are overpowered. This isn't news. Their MO has always been to nerf overpowered champions ASAP and worry about underpowered/unused/outdated champions later.

Notice how there are never minor number tweaks to buff underpowered champions - only number tweaks to nerf. As soon as a champion becomes underpowered, he falls into the rework pile and gets no further balance.

Hidden Dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Sometimes true, depends on what the rework involves and why it's being done though. Reworks generally fall into one of a few different categories:
And the last category of rework is Viktor. Who we will not talk about and doesn't actually exist. Neither does his rework. In fact it was just a rumor spread by liberals. Thanks Obama.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

02-01-2014
4 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaggle of Koalas View Post
I know the phrase "undead battering ram" has been tossed around a bit. If this is the direction pursued, I have no issues. Honestly, probably would be happy with any direction, as long as it's a cohesive kit.
Cohesive kit and theme is one of our core goals for Sion.

Super Explosion

02-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
very much a work in progress
I'd like you to realize that the community is perhaps very aware of this "work in progress" thing.

And likely what most of these threads are asking for is to be involved with that work.

He's an existing champion. He has players. You're trying to preserve the core essence of Sion.

Why is the community unable to participate in that?

Are you concerned people will get too attached to a transient design element?

Perhaps simply state that it is just something you are asking the community opinion on.

People may only get 'overly' attached if you announce something as an active guaranteed development entity (Magma Chamber), not as a potential kit alteration (Xerath Changes).

Xelnath

Systems Designer

02-01-2014
5 of 12 Riot Posts

Understandable.

In this case, the guy who was working on the Shaco rework switched his time and energy to help us deliver preseason. I've learned in the past year, that people get very "fast" expectations when we talk about things - this is just a side-effect of not framing "hey, I'm looking at this" properly.

To be fair - I expected to ship Xerath in August when I started working on him in May... but as we all see now, it ended up being another 6 months before other important things got done and we were able to schedule team time to finish Xerath.

nightheat

02-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Understandable.

In this case, the guy who was working on the Shaco rework switched his time and energy to help us deliver preseason. I've learned in the past year, that people get very "fast" expectations when we talk about things - this is just a side-effect of not framing "hey, I'm looking at this" properly.

To be fair - I expected to ship Xerath in August when I started working on him in May... but as we all see now, it ended up being another 6 months before other important things got done and we were able to schedule team time to finish Xerath.
So i wont expect shaco for 5 months, that's a realistic timeline IMO.

Alacor

02-01-2014

I don't really understand why champions that really weren't released all that long ago are being given priority for a rework over a champion that has had so many issues for so long. Bugs and general gameplay issues have plagued Shaco for a very long time. Skarner, Xerath, and Rengar are all very much playable and arguably viable.

I don't like to admit it, but Shaco is just a liability. If he doesn't get going early he's highly unlikely to ever get going.

He's by far one of the most unique champions in League in terms of playstyle but always gets nerfed and never gets any attention otherwise. It sucks to see. He has a difficult situation to assess and fix, but the work has to begin at some point. Putting it off time and time again will not see Shaco to a solid state. =[

Player Alt F4

02-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Reworks can take like a year and sometimes get canned. I wouldn't expect too much in the way of updates for a while.
This sounds like a piss poor way of saying there will not be a re-work for Shaco. Thanks for not getting our hopes up with hype about reworking him. One would think that the Shaco re-work has been "canned" in order to re-work their servers, but that doesn't look like it is happening either.

Hidden Dragon

02-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacor View Post
I don't really understand why champions that really weren't released all that long ago are being given priority for a rework over a champion that has had so many issues for so long.
Popularity = attention. Shaco has never exactly been a popular champion. He hasn't seen competitive play for nearly 2 seasons now. He's got a low pick rate.

Champions like Riven, Rengar, Khazix are wildly popular. Not really a surprise they will get looked at faster.

Alacor

02-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Dragon View Post
Popularity = attention. Shaco has never exactly been a popular champion. He hasn't seen competitive play for nearly 2 seasons now. He's got a low pick rate.

Champions like Riven, Rengar, Khazix are wildly popular. Not really a surprise they will get looked at faster.
He hasn't seen play because he's always been nerfed into oblivion the moment he might.

Not to mention he still has bugs/issues that need to be addressed.