homework halp

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silktail

02-01-2014

I'm having a really hard time finding an answer to this question:

Quote:
The extracellular matrix (ECM) of bone is considered to be a composite material made up of organic and inorganic matter. What makes up the organic and inorganic portions of the matrix? Describe the cellular mechanism involved in breaking down this matrix; include the bone cell required for the process.
I got the first part of it just fine because that was in our notes, but nowhere in the lesson does it ever talk about breaking it down and stuff. x.x
The only things I'm finding on the internet is making the ECM, not breaking it down.

I'm going to keep looking, but if anyone here has taken an anatomy class and knows the answer, it would be really appreciated if you could help .

Jesus The Lord

02-01-2014

I'm not very good at these terms in english, as medical terminology is wildly different in spanish.

But it seems to me that you are talking about the process of osteoregeneration that involves osteoclasts and osteoblasts, both being organic (cells) that utilize inorganic material to break down and reconstruct the osteo-tissue(matrix?) on a regular basis, utilizing inorganic material like hydroxiapatithe, calcium, etc. (minerals). I'm not entirely sure that this is what you are looking for, but if it is, this should give you a starting point.

Silktail

02-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus The Lord View Post
I'm not very good at these terms in english, as medical terminology is wildly different in spanish.

But it seems to me that you are talking about the process of osteoregeneration that involves osteoclasts and osteoblasts, both being organic (cells) that utilize inorganic material to break down and reconstruct the osteo-tissue(matrix?) on a regular basis, utilizing inorganic material like hydroxiapatithe, calcium, etc. (minerals). I'm not entirely sure that this is what you are looking for, but if it is, this should give you a starting point.
Yeah that's basically what I found.
I put something similar to that as my answer, but I just feel like it wasn't in-depth enough.

Oh well.