Yasuo - truth to countering?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Kayin

01-30-2014

I played a couple games where Yasuo ate mid lane and carried the game hard. My team was helpless after 9 kills. Our mid laner wasn't the greatest obviously, but I couldn't offer suggestions.

I wonder if that's the big issue with Yasuo right now is that people know how to play him but nobody really knows how to play against him?

So how do you deal with a Yasuo?

- Poke him out of lane? This is harder for ranged due to his wind wall if he's good with it.

- Get in his face. I wonder how he'd fair against a Fiora. I suppose he could constantly dash away, but at least he'd lose the trade unless he was capable with his CC. Maybe a Riven could hurt him?

- Vi, in his face, tanky and high damage, ult goes through his wind wall, offers CC?

- Zyra mid. Plants...plants everywhere.. Eh? eh? Plant + root + run away combo could be effective?

- Kennen, Teemo, Mundo, or Vlad? What do you guys think of them doing well against a Yasuo?

- Also, general play, if I was only good at Ahri mid, how would I handle a Yasuo?

The Kayin

01-30-2014

Also - just thought of this. Master Yi vs Yasuo mid lane. I wonder how that would play out..

blakthought

01-30-2014

I am wondering the same thing. Relatively new...but the best i could do vs yasuo mid with ahri was to just hold my tower and cs from there. I had no push at all alone.

LuckyElevenGuy

01-30-2014

Honestly since he's so new there are few counters I can think of. You must remember that you should activate his shield with a basic attack before using an ability so he doesn't negate the damage with his shield. Also he is weakest after he uses his third Q(whirlwind) so try and engage him after that point.

Champs that I think personally counter him are Riven, Akali and Soraka(Yes Soraka). Riven has enough mobility and her own shield to rip him apart. You can also bully him and dodge his Q's to deny him cs.

Soraka is a menace to society in mid vs yasuo, he can't block your starcall, he can't touch the minions without getting hit by starcall, he wants to dash to you? Oh well you have silence, you can heal, the longer he stays close to you the more damage he's taking. The main thing you have to watch for here are jungle ganks, but soraka robs him of life in mid lane.

I also forgot about Kayle, Windwall doesn't block her E and she's a total lane bully. He can't get close to you unless he dashes but then he's dead.

Omicron Austin

01-30-2014

Out of personal experience, I feel like Kennen, Rumble, Vladimir, and Riven have the tools to deal with Yasuo very well.

That's primarily top lane, however. Mid lane, I feel that Gragas, Annie (I'm really unsure about this one), and maybe Zed (he's the only one where I haven't had the opportunity to test the matchup).

If I had to guess, I think that Yasuo would absolutely destroy Yi.

Nasreth

01-30-2014

Yasuo has lots of shields and can stop abilities with his wind wall. He's tough to harass as a result. If you really want to force him out of lane you're going to have to auto attack him a LOT.

Yasuo has a shield that activates at maximum flow (his resource mechanic). He generates flow by moving and casting wind walls. A good Yasuo will not move forward to harass you unless his shield is up, as it is a very powerful shield and will likely absorb all the damage you dish out at lower levels.

The key to beating yasuo is through consistent pokes, rather than big bursts over long periods of time. You want to poke him when his shield is down. If you think his shield is up, try an auto attack to proc it. If you think the shield is down, try to hit him with a bigger attack.

Sara Leah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2014

got stuck solo top as Soraka vs Yasu and won the lane with her.

I held that tower for 18 minutes 24 seconds and had their tower 3/4 dead before the rest of the players realized we were not leaving lane till one of us won a tower, since he never left lane I stayed as well, and we had a fun game.

so ya ill bet on Soraka vs Yasu

Anduriels Shadow

01-30-2014

I played mundo top vs yasuo and won the lane handily. I don't play mid enough to have a suggestion on how to counter him there however.

Nasreth

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduriels Shadow View Post
I played mundo top vs yasuo and won the lane handily. I don't play mid enough to have a suggestion on how to counter him there however.
I play a ton of Katarina mid and I found out that you can Q him twice with your dagger before his wind wall cooldown is finished, so every other dagger you throw will hit him. It doesn't make a big difference at first but you can actually start chipping him down by the time you've got 3 points in Q. I usually just take CS with my Q until I've got 3 points in the skill, then I keep poking him and try to finish him off when I hit 6 with my ult.

Not sure how the other typical mid champions work out, but if you've got a cooldown thats shorter than ~12 seconds on your Q you should be able to do something similar, provided you aren't restricted by mana.

The shield is a different problem entirely :/ I try to poke him with Ws (Katarina's spin) whenever he misses his tornado because that procs his shield or the mark from my Q. Not sure how that works out for other classes. If you have a ranged auto attack you can proc his shield that way tho.

N9K

01-30-2014

Kayle
Destroys
Yasuo.

That is all.

Also, Riven can kick is booty pretty well too if you're mechanically skilled enough to play her in the mid lane.