Riot isn't it time to change Pick/Ban phase?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kyurian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2014

Like before the 3 ban was understandable because there wasn't enough champions to realistically do a 5 champ ban. Even SMITE is going to change up their 2 god bans when they get more gods into the game.

Right now in banning phase there's nothing really going to change things up until the way picks and bans are changed.

Folded Socks

02-09-2014

We need 10 to stomp out all the cheese at this point

Atrayen

02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folded Socks View Post
Kayle
Kassadin
Kha'zix
Gragas
Ziggs
Yasuo
Renekton
Shyvana
Elise
Vi

Hell, I'm sure a case could be made for banning LB over one of these. Too many champs to ban, not enough slots to ban them with.

RavenHusky

02-09-2014

We just need Yasuo and Kassadin to be permanently banned in Ranked, not counting against our regular bans, until they get seriously fixed, and by fixed, I mean nerfed into the ground.

The Null Revolt

02-09-2014

You forgot Leona and Thresh.

BrightNooblar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folded Socks View Post
This is not the point of bans. I've yet to see one of these threads make a solid arguement for needing more bans in the first page. All I ever see is 'I need to ban these twelve champs!' or 'lol its only like 5 bans cause kass!' or 'more champs = more bans!'

The point of bans is to poke holes in enemy team comps, or ban out your counters. Not to ban everyone who is strong.

Kyurian

02-09-2014

Well even in Dota. The Ban pick state is B2-P2-B2-P2-B1-P1 which makes you really think about team composition and what you and your enemy wants to give up to fight.

Faceplosion

02-09-2014

Only if the time for each ban is reduced so that we don't have extremely long ban phases.

Atrayen

02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightNooblar View Post
This is not the point of bans. I've yet to see one of these threads make a solid arguement for needing more bans in the first page. All I ever see is 'I need to ban these twelve champs!' or 'lol its only like 5 bans cause kass!' or 'more champs = more bans!'

The point of bans is to poke holes in enemy team comps, or ban out your counters. Not to ban everyone who is strong.
No but there are certain champions in the game that make the game as anti-fun as possible. It's not impossible to beat them, but suddenly the level of skill required to win between the two teams becomes way too uneven. Lets say one team has Vi and the other team has Jarvan. Vi has much better ganks for much less, stronger mid-game presence and much better objective control than Jarvan. The Jarvan player has to then be MUCH more skilled than the Vi player to equal what the Vi player is going to be able to do. And if the Vi is extremely good, the Jarvan needs to be godlike.

It's not that the champs are impossible to beat, it just means that the skill-level required jumps extremely high and difficulty scaling is stupid.

BrightNooblar

02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAtreyuX View Post
No but there are certain champions in the game that make the game as anti-fun as possible. It's not impossible to beat them, but suddenly the level of skill required to win between the two teams becomes way too uneven. Lets say one team has Vi and the other team has Jarvan. Vi has much better ganks for much less, stronger mid-game presence and much better objective control than Jarvan. The Jarvan player has to then be MUCH more skilled than the Vi player to equal what the Vi player is going to be able to do. And if the Vi is extremely good, the Jarvan needs to be godlike.

It's not that the champs are impossible to beat, it just means that the skill-level required jumps extremely high and difficulty scaling is stupid.
They pick vi, you pick thresh. Put yourself so when she ultra dives you carry, you can throw down a the box and isolate her from her team. I mean, thresh is an auto win right now too, right?

I mean, there are certainly champs that are stronger than others. But there is a list of 8-12 champs like that right now, depending on who you ask. As long as we've got at least 3 fewer bans, than there are "omg so OP" champs, we're fine. They get 1, you get two, etc. The issue would actually be WORSE, if we had say, ten OP champs, and eight bans. Then you only leave two 'autowin' champs, and now if you don't know how to play, or don't own, kass you can't first pick him, so they get kass and vi as their first two. Or leona and mundo, or whatever the two left open are.

Also, really this sounds like a general balance issue, rather than a ban phase issue. Yes vi is stronger than J4, normally. Thats an issue with j4 being slightly below par and vi being slightly above par though. If vi got toned down, and j4 got a minor buff, you'd not have that issue anymore. Really I think the whole 'we need more bans' has exploded because in the last four months, we've only had like 3-4 balance patches, so the outliers havn't been brought back in line, and things are getting stale.