Can we talk about balancing priority?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FatedTitan

01-30-2014

Morello, while I do admire passion projects and believe that people do work harder on projects they are passionate about, that tends to lead to certain champions always being prioritized over others. Rumble has never had a skin released since his launch. Countless other champions still only have one skin. And I know that Teemo is a fan favorite at Riot, but he doesn't need another skin. Then there's balancing where it seems that the devs "passion projects" as you put it, always have priority over trying to help make competitive a champion that is regarded as weak because no one at Riot is passionate about them. Gangplank has been a poor state since I started playing LoL last January. Zilean hasn't been talked about at all. Countless other champions are pushed to the wayside and not been touched in a super long time, but consistently sit at the bottom of the pile. It's a relief that you guys hired someone who was passionate about Heimerdinger or he'd still be in a **** state.

So how do you, as the boss man, make sure that people do not neglect some champions in favor of always scheduling their time around their "passion projects"?

Maulkrieg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatedTitan View Post
Morello, while I do admire passion projects and believe that people do work harder on projects they are passionate about, that tends to lead to certain champions always being prioritized over others. Rumble has never had a skin released since his launch. Countless other champions still only have one skin. And I know that Teemo is a fan favorite at Riot, but he doesn't need another skin. Then there's balancing where it seems that the devs "passion projects" as you put it, always have priority over trying to help make competitive a champion that is regarded as weak because no one at Riot is passionate about them. Gangplank has been a poor state since I started playing LoL last January. Zilean hasn't been talked about at all. Countless other champions are pushed to the wayside and not been touched in a super long time, but consistently sit at the bottom of the pile. It's a relief that you guys hired someone who was passionate about Heimerdinger or he'd still be in a **** state.

So how do you, as the boss man, make sure that people do not neglect some champions in favor of always scheduling their time around their "passion projects"?
Rumble's getting skin attention after his VU. Gangplank and Zilean are slated for a relaunch.

There's more going on than you think. Its the champs that aren't the worst, but are below viable that I'm worried about.

Samwel93

01-30-2014

Wait Riven can't be balanced? She pretty much only ever becomes "OP" during preseasons when balance is in a state of chaos. Currently she's sitting at very even stats across the board in both competitive and casual play. The only time Riven becomes a problem is when she is in the hands of a capably skilled player who can make use of her animation cancelling, the fact that Riot wants to punish people who spend such a large amount of time mastering a champion is beyond me. Not to mention those HP5 nerfs she is getting kinda go against Riot's entire design philosophy. Melees are inherently riskier and that's why they have higher HP5 and often have healing abilities. Riven's shield pretty much block 1 spell or auto attack now thanks to its nerfed duration. The fact that Riot can consider nerfing her HP5 and not having it ruin her while champions like Renekton can have higher base HP5 and Hp5/lvl as well as healing abilities is ludicrous, not to mention Renekton's heal even has a shorter CD than Riven's shield for most of early game when HP5 is more important. Oh yeah and just to put it in perspective, Nidalee a ranged champion with a heal now has higher HP5 than Riven.

Maulkrieg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwel93 View Post
Wait Riven can't be balanced? She pretty much only ever becomes "OP" during preseasons when balance is in a state of chaos. Currently she's sitting at very even stats across the board in both competitive and casual play. The only time Riven becomes a problem is when she is in the hands of a capably skilled player who can make use of her animation cancelling, the fact that Riot wants to punish people who spend such a large amount of time mastering a champion is beyond me. Not to mention those HP5 nerfs she is getting kinda go against Riot's entire design philosophy. Melees are inherently riskier and that's why they have higher HP5 and often have healing abilities. Riven's shield pretty much block 1 spell or auto attack now thanks to its nerfed duration. The fact that Riot can consider nerfing her HP5 and not having it ruin her while champions like Renekton can have higher base HP5 and Hp5/lvl as well as healing abilities is ludicrous, not to mention Renekton's heal even has a shorter CD than Riven's shield for most of early game when HP5 is more important. Oh yeah and just to put it in perspective, Nidalee a ranged champion with a heal now has higher HP5 than Riven.

You're comparing a nerfed champion to a champion that's about to get nerfed heavily. I don't understand your logic.

There are far, far more melee champs that are a million times more risky than Riven, even in her current state.

Stop complaining about Riven when there are bigger issues.