Can we talk about balancing priority?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pro Anïvïa

01-30-2014

yeah guys gangplank has been in a really bad spot for 2 years now

so here's ziggs buff #1241235235 because hes not fotm as hell yet

Maulkrieg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Anïvïa View Post
wow guys gangplank has been in a really bad spot for 2 years now

Gangplank isn't getting touched because of how problematic he was when he was strong and the fact that he has an upcoming rework.

Same deal as Irelia.

Secretbeef

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Awesome question. I'll answer in two parts;

1) We basically have not have centralized prioritization as the game and team has scaled. We've failed to do this consistently with non-emergency issues (nerfs due to pro play that needs to happen now, etc).

Much of this is due to allowing people to work on "passion projects" a lot - something I think is cool and like to support. Passionate people put out better work, and finding something you're inspired to improve the experience for is noble.

The issue with this is it means we don't focus on the most important work available on this front. This is probably in my top 3 of things to personally solve, and we have a good team structure that should allow this to occur. I'd like to include room for passion projects, but we need to be better about making getting to our priorities.

2) Consistent play is sometimes a trend, and that's fine. Some champions should go months without play if they specific strengths and weaknesses (Kog, for example). This means they fall in and out of favor based on other factors, which is a good indicator of a healthy system. I don't think your examples are prone to this, but I don't think it should be the indicator we use to judge what needs help when we have time to opportunistically fix something.

It's something we're actively working on fixing. We've also added some more manpower to the team so we can get more done, too!

You're so cute when you talk all business like

Maulkrieg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretbeef View Post
You're so cute when you talk all business like
#MorelloBestWaifu

Secretbeef

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Anïvïa View Post
yeah guys gangplank has been in a really bad spot for 2 years now

I don't think hell was or is ever going to be the FOTM... Just saying, not too many people itchin to go to hell

Maulkrieg

01-30-2014

bump

Ralik098

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maulkrieg View Post
Gangplank isn't getting touched because of how problematic he was when he was strong and the fact that he has an upcoming rework.

Same deal as Irelia.
Nope

A Rioter admitted about a week ago that they were not doing anything for Irelia currently.

Maulkrieg

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralik098 View Post
Nope

A Rioter admitted about a week ago that they were not doing anything for Irelia currently.
They have to clear out the current reworks. Keep in mind that they have a TON going on right now; more than they've ever had at once.

Also, they're unlikely to touch any bruiser in a major way outside of nerfs until after their overall bruiser-class champion rework.

That's why there's currently nothing in the works.

Maulkrieg

01-30-2014

bump

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

01-30-2014

Quote:
Shouldn't the team be partitioned, with a select few working on a passion project, while the rest work on the current state of A- to A+ champions, relative to B champions, or is that basically impossible due to them working with upcoming champion reworks?
The way I look at it is that they should alternate between the types of projects. Set up a board or box or something on which the champions/item sets/whatever that need short term work. After someone finishes a Passion project, they go to the board, look at what's there, and pick something to work on and sign it out. You then set up a ratio between "needs work" and "passion" projects, for example each individual has to work on 2 "needs work" projects before they can start another "passion" project. What ever ratio between the 2, but the point is people still get to do things they want to do, but the things that don't specifically tickle anyone's fancy still get done.

Quote:
Also, while you're here, would you mind talking about spellvamp with me? I have a couple of inquiries about your thoughts on its current state and what you want it to be.
I've always thought Lifesteal and Spell Vamp should be bound to damage types, rather than auto-attack versus button press. If it deals physical damage, it should benefit Lifesteal. If it does magic damage, it should benefit Spell Vamp. This lets mages have Spell Vamp items that are actually good for them, without AD Casters abusing them to the Void and back to trample anything else. Under those conditions it might be possible for Spell Vamp to mean something for people not Morde and Vlad.