Why isn't Janna allowed to have any meaningful rewards for charging Q?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trai Harder

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiyeruda View Post
Howling Gale
EDIT: @Riot, @Morello, @Whoever is on the balance team.
I agree with you they did state that there would be a reward for those who fully charge her Tornados but none was actually put in the game I would think a slow or something along those lines would work an not just increased dmg since the power of then was nerf :/

Irelia Bot

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr1sys View Post
Nah true 'supports' aren't allowed to have damage

Well in that case make her Q do a .75 to 1.5 second knockup instead of .8 to 1.0

Tulare

01-30-2014

This is related to Janna's Q but could also affect her passive and her W. Taric's kit rewards him for building armour and health. Galio (not a "core support" but a good champion for the role) is rewarded for building magic resist. Janna's thing has always been movement speed. Would it be possible to scale some of her abilities off of MS?

Possible examples: Her tornado charges faster, travels faster, or cools down faster based on bonus MS. The amount of movement speed she grants with her passive or the radius of the aura scales with bonus MS. The magnitude or duration of the slow from her W scales with bonus MS.

Trollverlord

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello
I eat a giant bag of dicks every morning as part of a balanced breakfast
This explains so much.

Soiyeruda

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulare View Post
This is related to Janna's Q but could also affect her passive and her W. Taric's kit rewards him for building armour and health. Galio (not a "core support" but a good champion for the role) is rewarded for building magic resist. Janna's thing has always been movement speed. Would it be possible to scale some of her abilities off of MS?

Possible examples: Her tornado charges faster, travels faster, or cools down faster based on bonus MS. The amount of movement speed she grants with her passive or the radius of the aura scales with bonus MS. The magnitude or duration of the slow from her W scales with bonus MS.
You can build easily for health, armor, MR, etc.

You can't actively choose to build MS as it's not a stat that's meant to be stacked on 6 different items in your build. Doesn't help that you'd be hard countered by slows, which a lot of champions have.

Tulare

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg a bunny View Post
I'll eat my bunny if Riot actually reads this.

*waddles back to reddit*
I feel sorry for your bunny but... tell us how he tasted, 'kay?

Tulare

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiyeruda View Post
You can build easily for health, armor, MR, etc.

You can't actively choose to build MS as it's not a stat that's meant to be stacked on 6 different items in your build. Doesn't help that you'd be hard countered by slows, which a lot of champions have.
Alas. It was a fun idea but you're right that it's impractical. I hadn't thought about the interaction with slows and the item selection for bonus MS isn't very broad. Janna shouldn't be locked into always building Mob.Boots, Lich Bane, and Twin Shadows to get the most out of her kit. Not that that's a terrible build for her anyway, but she should have more diversity than that.

MasterofSFL

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Power-wise, I think it's fine, but I'm very hesistant to variable-length CC (the durations being standard per-skill makes timing games surrounding it intuitive). That being said, if there was ever a skill to consider it on, this is one of the better ones.
Would not a good idea be to allow Cooldown reduction to reduce the amount of time the Charge for the Tornado takes?

Personally I feel that 3 seconds is too long mid-late game and Janna should be rewarded for choosing between more AP (Better Shield and Heals) or Cooldown (Faster Tornadoes).

Viro Melchior

01-31-2014

Quote:
Howling Gale
RANGE: 1100-1700
COOLDOWN: 14/13/12/11/10
COST: 90/105/120/135/150 MANA

MAGIC DAMAGE: 60 / 85 / 110 / 135 / 160 (+ 35% AP)
ADDITIONAL DAMAGE PER SECOND CHARGING: 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 (+ 10% AP)
MAX MAGIC DAMAGE: 95 / 145 / 195 / 225 / 265 (+ 65% AP)
Knock-up duration: .75 seconds when fired off immediately, 1 second when charged for the full 3 seconds.
Why not look to change this to something more along the lines of:
MAGIC DAMAGE: 60 / 85 / 110 / 135 / 160 (+ 35% AP)
1 second (flat) knock up, 1 second 20% slow (overlaps the knockup)
1100 range
Janna can charge the gale for up to 3 seconds before releasing it.
For each second charged, the gale receives increased range (+200/second), increased slow duration and increased damage versus champions:
ADDITIONAL DAMAGE PER SECOND CHARGING: 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 (+ 15% AP) - versus champions only
Additional .5 seconds slow duration per second charged
Additional .02% slow effectiveness per second charged (max 50%)

A quick burst gale is slightly stronger (.25s knockup buff)
A long gale gets up to 15% stronger AP scaling, and a significant 1.5 second (max) slow following the knockup.

With 400 AP, a max tornado (level 18) would do:
280 base damage + 320 damage from AP (versus champions)
160 base damage + 140 damage from AP (versus minions and monsters)
1 second slow+knockup
1.5 seconds additional slow
Slow value is 44% (maxes at 500 AP - higher AP reaches max slow with a slightly shorter charge)

A 1.5 second slow is strong, but not debilitating, but provides extra utility reward for landing a charged gale.
The wave clear is capped at 160 damage plus .35 AP, so Janna will not be 1-shotting entire waves without ridiculously high AP.
Increased AP scaling, as well as an additional 5 damage per second of charge at all ranks means that there is noticably higher damage payoff from charging.

CheapShotter

01-31-2014

I know its a long time in the making but can Janna and all her allies please get an indicator that shows the direction that the Q is going to travel in??? Because as an ADC its kinda hard to lure an enemy into a Janna Q because you cant see where its going.