Why isn't Janna allowed to have any meaningful rewards for charging Q?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RePeace

01-30-2014

CC duration should be static at all lengths of channeled time so that the player has a clear understanding of the purpose of a non-channeled cast: "if I want reliable CC then I just need to instant cast". This then leaves a clear design space for charging the spell to have an alternative purpose.

The simplest option would be increased tornado damage as the spell then has a choice of reliable utility vs damage. The thing to keep in mind is that this damage is very unlikely to be used vs champions and will essentially be for wave clear or pushing thanks to the easily telegraphed nature of the spell. If Riot doesn't want an easy long range wave clear than this option should be ignored as that will be the primary result of this bonus (see AP mid Janna).

On that basis I would propose an entirely different benefit for the spell (some bonus damage could still be included as a secondary benefit):
1) Increased width per second cast (to a max of half of Nami's R)
2) A path of frost effect left behind the tornado with the slow % based on channel time (think Kog's Void Ooze)
3) Point blank effect on release (like a 200 unit range knock away for x units, nearby allied speed boost, nearby enemy slow etc)
4) Something crazy like mini tornadoes that split apart while the main tornado is en-route.

No.1 would somewhat counter-act the downsides of channeling while providing more team fight utility, rather than typical use. No.2 would provide options as either a more deadly offensive option if it lands (as you could then time Zephyr for a longer slow length) or a means of further defensive use. No.3 would provide a miniature protective zone for your ally/self. No.4 would add a more disruption in bigger fights

Axxlon

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Agreed - this should be a strong reward and isn't. I don't like variable CC due to how tightly CC duration prediction is connected to intuitive feel, and damage can get us into mage territory, but those are only two of several (and many possible) ideas. Good call generally.
What, is it bad for Janna to be a viable mage or something? <:\ (cuz that would be like saying its bad for annie to be a viable support ;3)

Hayaishi

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlon View Post
What, is it bad for Janna to be a viable mage or something? <:\ (cuz that would be like saying its bad for annie to be a viable support ;3)
Because if she had mage damage with all the utility she brings she'll be more broken than annie.

Kuwanger

01-30-2014

she should be able to summon tornados that go wherever they please around the map for like 5 minutes. roaming nado jungle janna would be best i say.

BrandNameZombie

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg a bunny View Post
I'll eat my bunny if Riot actually reads this.

*waddles back to reddit*
You set the table while i prepare the main course.

Ormy

01-30-2014

There are a few major problems that have really gotten on my nerves with they way they are taking the game.

First off they design for the NA meta in mind instead of designing to make good design that could further enhance strategies and champ selection. Like they make tops and if you put that top lane in any other lane it instantly becomes broken. Its just poor design.

Secondly it is the support tag/role. When I first started this game anyone with an ability that helped someone else was considered a support. Teemo, Nidalee, Shen all had the tag of support at one time. Supports shouldn't be filed into this hole of you are a babysitter with no damage, but poorly scaling utility. It is great in theory but no one feels impactful in a game if their speed aura on Sona does an extra 2% move speed. It wont help and you do not notice it. So people will always lean towards the damage non traditional supports or the super bloated ones like Thresh.

In the support role I think Dota does it way better. Crystal Maiden and Dazzle, both champs I loved playing on Dota are considered Supports. But you can still devastate people with their damage and cc when built properly.

Supports should be allowed to have the damage if they build for damage. And utility if they build for utility. The game is getting to streamlined into you pick this champ it is how you must play. Ap tris and the soon to be gutted AP MF are fun builds. But coming soon MF will be auto attacker right clicker just like every other ADC.

Point is that the game is stale with how they are trying to push these champs. they need to focus on letting people have fun with the way they love to play the champ. AP Sona was amazing when played right now she is just meh.

End Rant

Janna Mechanics

01-30-2014

@Morello I think Janna's power right now is honestly fine. I have no problem taking a dump on Thresh/Leona/Annie, especially later in the game, and it feels awesome to build AP on her.

The only type of change I'd like to see is a mana cost reduction on Q, and slightly more reward for charging it up. Three seconds charge up time is fine, her ultimate is in a great position after recent buffs, her W is well balanced because I make a conscious decision whenever I use it (is it beneficial to slow 1 target or keep my movement speed bonus?), and her shield blocks a good amount of damage and provides a nice AD bonus, scaling pretty well with AP.

Maybe .1*AP -> .15*AP for her shield AD buff, but I don't want to see you over buff her and then nerf her back to uselessness.

Her auto attack range is already the lowest for all ranged supports, and that makes her laning (coupled with those expensive shields and tornadoes) pretty frustrating, which is a fine trade off for her powerful teamfighting.

Her passive could use a slight range boost, but it's honestly fine as well. Just be careful with her, I don't want to see seven nerfs in a row a la S2.

-Someone who has played an insane number of Janna games and currently has a 60% win rate with her in diamond S4.

ASURA SMD

01-30-2014

You neglect to mention that it gains 200 range per second charging. Furthermore the damn thing is so wide that it doesn't matter that it has a sound effect.

Irelia Bot

01-30-2014

IF janna's Q clearing minion waves is toxic then why does gragas get to destroy minions with his Q?

Kr1sys

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonCannonKarthus View Post
Maybe having a fully charged Tornado's damage rivaling the power of an AP Mage is a good thing?
Nah true 'supports' aren't allowed to have damage