@Morello You used to work on Guild wars; why not make Soraka a Protection Monk?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

theoryyy

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trai Harder View Post
I just think this is so stupid You guys are not thinking this thru. Soraka base stats don't give her much Health in the first place but now u want to make her into a healing Vladimir -_- Soraka is a aggressive support that can help releave tons of dmg an or use her allies as bait to draw in an kill people but u want her heals to take her own health are u crazy. That would require an entre rework on her character which is not whats needed here.
And what you do not understand is that she needs drawbacks if we want her to heal in this game. At least that's what Riot wants. You didn't "think this thru". I just stated a clear case of high risk/high reward spell, the beloved philosophy of Riot. Healing Vladimir? What kind of drugs are you on? You never played Guild Wars 1 PVP am I right?

HuFOHr9aGj

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyCake View Post
this, soraka's e is useless now and her w is weak, her q is literally one of the strongest abilities in the game which keeps her at a 48-49% win rate

if anything, her w and e should be changed
You. I like you.
Mind giving me your honest feedback here : http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4194170 ?
i dont care if you say that you dont like it, just need real opinions.

Raptoreyes

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think this is the crux of the, specifically, "healer" type. I think their healing must be so impactful that ignoring it will end in failure. This isn't true of supports, but in this case healing specifically. This is also only when your only controlled piece/unit is a healer, strategy games that feature multiple units can sack the personal satisfaction for great effectiveness balance (Medics in SC/Priests in WC) and still feel good.

I do think each person in a fight needs to generate "threat," to use RPG terms. Support probably don't do enough of this, or cause play changes to happen due to impact (Janna shielding in a 45-minute game teamfight? Maybe we need to swap targets for a sec and let it fall). There should be a decision of if you need to deal with the support, but I think that decision might be too easy right now.
Lets not loose sight of the fact that Guild Wars suffered for characters that were too specialized. The fun characters were the ones with a bit of everything and GW2 went down that path. Nidalee or Kayle is a better model for supports then Soraka or Janna. Damage or utility characters with a support skill are just preferable to pure supports as these characters can leave bot lane and do other things. One dimensional characters designed to be a part of a whole are just not as engaging as characters with kits that can be thrust into multiple roles with success.

It would be much better for the game if Supports had the sort of lane flexibility the most engaging mages, tanks and assassins now enjoy. To do this most "Supports" should probably only have one skill that is support only with the rest of the character built to function in other ways. Again Nidalee and Kayle do well at this and even Karma shows promise in this way.

Raptoreyes

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Hmm. I think we agree generally on this - I think we might disagree with execution details on how.
DoTA is a bad model as it only feels good to players with VERY fast reflexes. This is a problem as most people have average reflexes and is a large reason why League beat both DoTA and HoN. When damage is very high and survivibility is very low as in LoL's successors only the people with extraordinary skill can enjoy the game at all. Season 3 of this game came very close to destroying the game simply because damage became to easy to do and protecing oneself became too hard for the games mid tier players. The first month or four of season 3 was particularly bad as assassins had not yet earned nerfs hard enough to make the game semi enjoyable for other roles by that time.

Jesus The Lord

01-31-2014

Except for the part where Prot Monks were grossly overpowered compared to healing monks until about Nightfall (second expansion).

I like Soraka, but the solution to a broken character is not to make them as broken as another broken character.

HuFOHr9aGj

01-31-2014

Bump.

Melokhy

02-01-2014

Considering GuildWars-like healers, why not replace Soraka's basic heal by a HP-cost spell, like the Infuse Monk used to always have?
The Heal might be worth the cost, as it refund a % of the ally HP, but il also cut Soraka's HP hard, so she may use it wisely. The innate counterplay is to let Soraka heal then shut her down quick as she become low-HP all alone.
I think about something like a cost of 20% her max HP (so it's even more than Vlad's costs), healing same amount (in %) on target. Heals hard a tank, but it's a hard cost to save a carry, and if you just put a heal limit (to prevent abuse-heal and invicible tanks) then you have a two-edge spell.

In the other hand, if we consider Soraka's lore, it fits well with her own sacrifice to help people, as she sacrified her divinity to help WW.

Is that viable?