What we expected when Riot said "Support Utility will scale with AP"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Priamos

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZEFEN View Post
Thresh isn't a tank... He's the definition of a utility support with Lulu.
I don't care, he's part of the Support Triumvirate, so he's just as evil as the Tank and the Mage.

ninjagear

01-29-2014

hard cc wins bot lane, just like hard cc murders any squishy (yasuo anyone?). this game is turning into WoW season 9. stunlock, explode, collect freelo. skill has zero to do with it. how hard is it to miss a skillshot when the person cant even flash away?

Poultrygeist

01-29-2014

Omg, the feels. THIS MAN UNDERSTANDS. :O

lVlega64

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagear View Post
hard cc wins bot lane, just like hard cc murders any squishy (yasuo anyone?). this game is turning into WoW season 9. stunlock, explode, collect freelo. skill has zero to do with it. how hard is it to miss a skillshot when the person cant even flash away?
I feel the same way.
But if someone puts themselves in the position to get CC'd or grabbed/hooked, then they should be punished for it.

My biggest frustration comes when skillshots land when they clearly don't touch the champion visually.
Nid spears, LB chain, snares. etc.

In the LCS the other day LB threw her E out and it clearly did not touch the annie in the jungle, yet it snapped like 100 pixels to the left and snared annie, securing the kill.

mi ramfan

01-29-2014

Great way of summing up the complaints of support players.

trackmaster

01-29-2014

What's wrong with making "supports" have just crazy OP scaling for utility with **** damage scaling? Give Sona 0.2 AP ratios on damage for Q and R, but give her E .5 AP:MS scaling. You could build AP and have a 6 sec cd reverie. If it was too OP, teams would have too many supports and not do any damage, so the problem is?

namielise

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZEFEN View Post
Thresh isn't a tank... He's the definition of a utility support with Lulu.
he's the definition of EVERYTHING!combining all that utility and that tankiness with a ranged AA to harass:he can do litteraly everything.

Eve The Ripper

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post
I don't really buy this thesis. Sona was quite competitive with Thresh in season 3, and Thrseh received no changes in season 4. In my eyes, the reason we no longer play Sona is the same as the reason we no longer play Zyra -- nerfs.

I think it is no accident that Thresh and Leona are the support champions that see all the action. Those two didn't receive any nerfs in the transition to season 4 while Sona, Nami, Lulu, Soraka, and Janna all did. Those nerfs were intended to be balanced out with this utility scaling stuff that honestly hasn't panned out, and it's left the support class undertuned for the most part.
Sona was too good, so was Thresh. It makes sense that Sona getting nerfed means that people turn to Thresh instead. It would be crazy to buff everyone up to Thresh level, though.

Suppose Thresh was brought in line with other supports. Leona isn't going to be a 100% pick because she has clear weaknesses that can be capitalized on. I really think we'd see more variety bot lane in that situation without having to go buff crazy on the utility scaling project.

Fort Donger

01-29-2014

Bump

first time Vayne

01-29-2014

Utility scaling is inherently weaker than damage scaling. I don't know why they made the numbers so weak... They had to have realized utility supports would be competing with damage supports, yet no compensation.

The funny thing is that if utility supports had low damage scaling but hilariously strong utility scaling, like OP described, it would not only be balanced, but fun as hell.

Much better than Annie support 100-0ing the enemy AD carry every 100 post-6 seconds like right now.