What we expected when Riot said "Support Utility will scale with AP"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sadistic Lulu

Recruiter

01-29-2014

this pretty much explains preseason 4.

who cares if i'm going against a thresh or leona, i'm just going to keep calm and play lulu or sona.

even though i run 1/2 ap 1/2 support on lulu, in which i get ~350 AP lategame, i still can't sense any difference in my q and w, in terms of utility...

andoth

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priamos View Post
Look, I don't mean to be rude, but Annie is MUCH more popular as a Support than she is as an AP Carry. Hell, I can't remember the last time I saw an Annie Mid that I wasn't playing it.
Annie Bot plays her mid. but thats about it.

Pukla Kupli Kipp

01-29-2014

Well this has been VERY VISIBLE in competitive play.

I'm still very disappointed in the broken promise of "aggressive balancing". There is absolutely NOTHING going on in the PBE right now to help overnerfed traditional supports..

Honestly it's sad when tanks and mages are able to fulfill the role of "supporting" in a far more superior manner than champions that were meant to do it in the first place...

Tryndimir

01-29-2014

man super true, they really need to buff the other supports

Tortferngatr

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post

It makes you think they didn't really think this whole "supports should break even with the old values around 200 AP" thing through. Maybe they were hoping to do a pass over support itemization later and ran out of time in the budget.
PBE feedback read positive, internal testing read positive...except it turned out to all break down under Summoner's Rift power curves/scaling methods.

As for the other stuff, I was replying to your specific examples. While I understand that AP increasing stuff is good (like Nami's W getting stronger bounces with AP) I didn't know how Soraka W lasting longer would affect matters.

Farranor

01-29-2014

We expected utility to scale up FROM the old values. Instead, they scale up TO the old values, after several hundred AP. It's the same "scaling" Olaf got on his E.

Tortferngatr

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakira View Post
Well this has been VERY VISIBLE in competitive play.

I'm still very disappointed in the broken promise of "aggressive balancing". There is absolutely NOTHING going on in the PBE right now to help overnerfed traditional supports..

Honestly it's sad when tanks and mages are able to fulfill the role of "supporting" in a far more superior manner than champions that were meant to do it in the first place...
Lulu still works in competitive play.

When the top supports are banned, Alistar, Nami, and Sona tend to fill the role.

aggressive balancing already happened; in solo queue it just hasn't been enough.

SmokingPuffin

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
PBE feedback read positive, internal testing read positive...except it turned out to all break down under Summoner's Rift power curves/scaling methods.
The problem with that early testing feedback is that League of Targon's happened and it blinded everyone. At the time, I remember thinking that with all of this gold I was getting I would be playing full-on AP carries in the bot lane. It turns out that the first two weeks of preseason were totally useless for assessing what would really happen with the new gold flow mechanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
As for the other stuff, I was replying to your specific examples.
How do you feel about the general concept of expanding what sorts of utility are scaled in support kits? Would you prefer:
1) Increased utility scaling on weaker supports
2) Increased base values on weaker supports
3) Nerfs to stronger supports
4) System-level changes to weaken tanky stuff and strengthen squishy stuff (e.g. Doran's Shield nerf, Perseverance nerf)
5) No changes

MagicalMerlin

01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloDragoon View Post
Am I the only one here, who still enjoys playing every other support but thresh, and annie?

Thresh and Annie are pretty boring to play. :c

Ahri the Futa

01-29-2014

Yes, i'm pretty sure Roit should buff all supports in one patch, so they can make ADC's life even worse than it is atm.
inb4 ''hurr durr adcs r da center of dis game, hurr durr they should be nerfed coz range''