Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MajinCui

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You can bug RiotPenguin about skins

Generally TU's are sort of what 3D artists work on for a "break" or personal project. They just happen to be so good that we ship them as content. It's sort of a tertiary initiative in Relaunch, but doesn't exactly have a dedicated resource assigned to the effort.

As for base Quinn touchups, probably no time soon. But who knows. Maybe I can try a texture update on her and treat is a TU for practice. We'll see.
Do you feel that things would be more productive if these assignments weren't viewed as "break" or "personal projects?
I feel that this is the reason why so many releases get delayed, since there really isn't much motivation to get a job done. I understand that things come up, but I feel that there should be some type of structure when it comes to TU and even buffs for champions (Zyra, Soraka, Sona, and the all the other "real" supports).

Augmented

02-04-2014

IronStylus, is anybody working on Shen? I literally have not seen anyone mention a word of Shen when they ask you about specific VUs or reworks.

Azurasha

02-04-2014

Is Xin gonna get a VU anytime soon? He looks as ridiculous as pre-VU Garen

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-04-2014
73 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattered Clock View Post
Ironstylus putting in work.

What I've gathered from this thread so far.
  • VU's are harder than we think
  • Riot is working on things
  • Relaunch team is very small
  • Community Beta site is not as terrible as we make it out to be, we should probably start using it
  • Ironstylus promises nothing

Also, could you maybe think about some of the following skins. I think you'd enjoy making them.

Tropical Swain-Swain in a Hawaiian Shirt and other gaudy Tourist clothes. Transforms in to a GIGANTIC PARROT with his ult.

Blue Macaw Anivia-Fairly self explanatory, also something the BR servers really want as Blue Macaws are a big part of their culture

Lead Designer Trundle-It's Trundle, cosplaying as Morello, wielding a Nerf bat. Don't act like you've never wanted to poke fun at your coworkers.
Good recap of the points of this thread.

I'll ask about the skins

Foztog

02-04-2014

IronStylus, what about my pet Plague Rat? His kit seems fine, just needs a VU.

Also, why not keep Sion's ulti?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-04-2014
74 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo48 View Post
While I am definitely with you on not overloading the team because I have seen first hand what kind of a nightmare that can create, you could probably create a second team to work in parallel because reworking one champion should not influence the rework of another champion. That would let you release reworks twice as often (two mothers make two babies in 9 months) once you got the second team up to speed, although finding talent for the second team might be a problem if you do not have people you could pull for that.
Ideally that's what we'd want I think. Champion right now has enough resources to stagger productions. They use "pods", or teams that see a character all the way through concept to production. Right now Relaunch is basically equivalent to one of those pods. Having multiple pods would allow Relaunch to up cadence. We'll see. Sometimes we swap resources in and out, or sometimes people jump onto a different character or skin that they're interested. Certain resources are fluid.

Some hiring might help, but to actually accelerate we'd need specific artists especially in the realm of technical animation/rigging and VFX where some bottlenecks lie. Sooo... let me know if anyone of you guys does any of those things!

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-04-2014
75 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLIT PUSHED View Post
IronStylus, what about my pet Plague Rat? His kit seems fine, just needs a VU.
He certainly does need a VU.

Foztog

02-04-2014

Quote:
He certainly does need a VU.
I have a feeling he's coming up pretty soon, but I know you won't spoil it.

FlynnOFlenniken

02-04-2014

Quote:
You're right. I'll take the fall. It's totally blown up in my face and the world is coming to an end. My apologies, I'll go fall on my sword now

Cool?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2Cj...youtu.be&t=15s

Mandaari

02-04-2014

Quote:
Some hiring might help, but to actually accelerate we'd need specific artists especially in the realm of technical animation/rigging and VFX where some bottlenecks lie. Sooo... let me know if anyone of you guys does any of those things!
Can you elaborate on what a tech animator would be doing in the context of Riot?