Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lalawooo

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Any new skin for Rumble will make it much easier to do subsequent skins for. This is a result that any new skin will have a rebuilt rig.

Currently we'd be unable to do any of the cool fan ideas out there because all of that wackiness in his current mech would carry over. We can only do geometry changes over that. Anything that would involve a more slick set of movements, a more advanced mech, whatever, is dependent on a new rig being in place.
I don't understand what you mean by rumble's wackiness in his current mech

N49

02-04-2014

Speaking of VU's and reworks.

Karma.

Where would you put her on a success/fail scale?
Is there anything planned for her?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-04-2014
72 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalawooo View Post
Seeing how you're understaffed, why not hire more people? I think I only recall 3 people that were hired but sounded like they don't work in the art development being champions/VU/reworks(correct me if im wrong)
We're pretty adequately staffed. Relaunch is basically the size of a champion pod which will handle a single champion at the time. We've got dedicate resources for every discipline. I think we could probably use another 3D artist and texture artist, I myself am trying to train up in that regard, but we're pretty lean and mean. Sometimes that's how teams work effectively. Throwing people at the challenge doesn't always make the most sense. Still takes 9 months to make a baby no matter how many mothers you have trying to do so :P

Urgot my Waifu

02-04-2014

Quote:
Still takes 9 months to make a baby no matter how many mothers you have trying to do so :P
It's funny how many people don't think this way.

Manager - Job takes 10 days for 2 workers to complete, so 4 workers can do it in 5 right!?

Me - ...no.. not at all.

Shattered Clock

02-04-2014

Ironstylus putting in work.

What I've gathered from this thread so far.

• VU's are harder than we think
  • Riot is working on things
  • Relaunch team is very small
  • Community Beta site is not as terrible as we make it out to be, we should probably start using it
  • Ironstylus promises nothing

Also, could you maybe think about some of the following skins. I think you'd enjoy making them.

Tropical Swain-Swain in a Hawaiian Shirt and other gaudy Tourist clothes. Transforms in to a GIGANTIC PARROT with his ult.

Blue Macaw Anivia-Fairly self explanatory, also something the BR servers really want as Blue Macaws are a big part of their culture

Lead Designer Trundle-It's Trundle, cosplaying as Morello, wielding a Nerf bat. Don't act like you've never wanted to poke fun at your coworkers.

K2theone

02-04-2014

How about an Urgot relaunch?

Fat noxus guy who got cut in half by garens spin 2 win and now got rebuild with nasty stuff by a guy that has nothing to do with anything.

Just need an update. Oh and please don't tell us hes going to be a mainstream adc with an escape.

Or Yorick. I know Xelnath is working hard on him. Someone told me hes getting turned into a support.
Please no.

Really exited for all of this

I know twitch and sion are coming up first.

K2theone

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattered Clock View Post
Ironstylus putting in work.

Lead Designer Trundle-It's Trundle, cosplaying as Morello, wielding a Nerf bat. Don't act like you've never wanted to poke fun at your coworkers.
Yes. Doesn't have to be Morello. Just any business worker, from riot, holding a nerf bat.

Maybe Riot Trundle.

Rito pls

Diablo48

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2014

Quote:
We're pretty adequately staffed. Relaunch is basically the size of a champion pod which will handle a single champion at the time. We've got dedicate resources for every discipline. I think we could probably use another 3D artist and texture artist, I myself am trying to train up in that regard, but we're pretty lean and mean. Sometimes that's how teams work effectively. Throwing people at the challenge doesn't always make the most sense. Still takes 9 months to make a baby no matter how many mothers you have trying to do so :P
While I am definitely with you on not overloading the team because I have seen first hand what kind of a nightmare that can create, you could probably create a second team to work in parallel because reworking one champion should not influence the rework of another champion. That would let you release reworks twice as often (two mothers make two babies in 9 months) once you got the second team up to speed, although finding talent for the second team might be a problem if you do not have people you could pull for that.

SaraIsLiz

02-04-2014

Quote:
Still takes 9 months to make a baby no matter how many mothers you have trying to do so :P
It takes a village to raise a child.

Child > Baby

Dota > League of Legends

exec3

02-04-2014

Quote:
We sort of have a separate initiative to add recalls and other such things to the champions, but that;s more of a "side project" for some guys on animation.
So similar to TU's? It's good to hear that somethign is being done on this front as theer are tons of champs that have no need for a VU but still lack recall animations. Are you able to comment on whether any skins will get custom recalls like how many new skins do? I know it'd add a lot of extra work but a couple such as Pool Party Ziggs should really get their own unique recall I think.

Also with Quinn if you ever look to do a TU for her could you also get an animation guy to look at some QoL tweaks? Particularly I find her AA animation to be painfully slow, a lot of the time i'll E onto someone and then miss the bonus damage proc because she takes too long to attack.