Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stay70573

02-01-2014

Any news or thoughts on Morde VA?

Pizza feet OP

CheapShotter

02-01-2014

To anyone it may concern, if you choose to do a VU on a champion like Poppy, Kennen or Cho'Gath, who have recolour skins, what happens to those skins? Do they remain recoloured skins or do you change them so they look a bit different?

CommandShockwave

02-01-2014

Yo, Iron, have you guys ever considered just making like... a big poll?

Y'know, "Which champions do you want a VU for", then leave it up for a month.

Maybe have multiple identical polls in different locations (reddit, etc) and add the feedback together. Hell, put it up on the front of the client to get bazillions of votes from those who don't participate in the community as much.

Once a month passes, make a few dedicated threads for the top 5-ish choices and gather the specific feedback. Again, advertise these threads everywhere and get the attention of those who originally voted.

Idk, it just seems like there's a lot of half-finished and 'stuck' VU's that aren't getting the attention they deserve because you guys don't necessarily realize the demand for them.

Which begs the question... how DO you know what we want when you've never done anything like this before? :S

Mitzu

02-01-2014

So how about that Pantheon VU?

You guys gotta know some cool ways to update a god damn SPARTAN now.

MrPrissyPants

02-02-2014

shaco needs a vu more than anyone in the game right now imo

MobiIe Ward

02-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
You're right. I'll take the fall. It's totally blown up in my face and the world is coming to an end. My apologies, I'll go fall on my sword now

Cool?
Being sarcastic doesn't get your job done. Why don't you guys just admit that you're understaffed?

Taria05

02-02-2014

Quote:
You're right. I'll take the fall. It's totally blown up in my face and the world is coming to an end. My apologies, I'll go fall on my sword now

Cool?
that almost sounds sardonic

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

02-02-2014
38 of 78 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarino View Post
Seems like you've got a lot on your plate Ironstylus. Which one are you most looking forward to, from a design perspective?(Which one makes you super excited to get it out there)?
Sion is what the team is mostly excited about at the moment. He's certainly going to take a while, I think they have a general paper kit in mind, and we've been doing some concept passes since last year. We've recently had a second "breaking meeting" where we solidify the direction and see if we agree with the pillars of theme, art, and design that we've come up with. Now that we've gone through that procedure, we'll bring back a bunch more concepts for review.

I think we all agree on the theme. Giant undead Noxian of legend. The trope of Gregor Clegane from Game of Thrones has popped up a lot.

If Design's preliminary ideas of his kit hold we will then have good traction. Right now they create no boundaries that would impede concepting clearly and moving onto the 3D model after that. He's the slowest burning of all of the current priorities.

Oh, and the reason I don't talk about all of our planned relaunches is a) I don't want to set expectations because some of them are in early concept phase and they might very well be thrown out for one reason or another and b) we do want to preserve some sense of surprise when we can. Some relaunches will be discussed in depth because they're well known to be persistent issues in the game, visually, thematically and mechanically. The Sions, the Poppys, etc. But some aren't in need of such a protracted R&D phase that we can effectively keep them under wraps and bring people a nice fresh piece of content out of the blue. Not every one of the champions on our 4-5 top priorities are in that area of extensive discussion. They're at various stages of pre-production, production, and post-production. We're crunching through them nicely and they'll be done when they're done. Giving the play-by-play isn't always productive or engaging. It's just work as usual.

That said, there's plenty to talk about and whenever I see a comment that I feel comfortable addressing, I do so.

Hellioning

02-02-2014

Quote:
Oh, and the reason I don't talk about all of our planned relaunches is a) I don't want to set expectations because some of them are in early concept phase and they might very well be thrown out for one reason or another and b) we do want to preserve some sense of surprise when we can. Some relaunches will be discussed in depth because they're well known to be persistent issues in the game, visually, thematically and mechanically. The Sions, the Poppys, etc. But some aren't in need of such a protracted R&D phase that we can effectively keep them under wraps and bring people a nice fresh piece of content out of the blue. Not every one of the champions on our 4-5 top priorities are in that area of extensive discussion. They're at various stages of pre-production, production, and post-production. We're crunching through them nicely and they'll be done when they're done. Giving the play-by-play isn't always productive or engaging. It's just work as usual.

That said, there's plenty to talk about and whenever I see a comment that I feel comfortable addressing, I do so.
That seems incredibly dangerous. I mean, Karma rework did happen, and completely ignoring the kit rework, a lot of Karma players did not like her new look. Same with Trundle; he played the same, but it was such a different change it was difficult to adjust. How can you be sure that your team's view of, say, Taric is most player's view?

Knight Auditor

02-02-2014

Quote:
Snip
Mr. Parrot, would you mind if I floated a Fiora skin concept? I can't art so it's just text and reliant on the imagination. I hope that's okaaaaay.

Quote:
Anyways, the concept is High Noon Fiora, with her particular western identity being more in line with 'Zorro'. I don't mean that she'd be dressed up like Zorro at all, just that it fits into that Spanish-American aesthetic, so imagine something along the lines of Red Dead Redemption's Luisa Fortuna crossed with The Mask of Zorro's Elena. In my imagination it'd be a bit more rough-and-tumble than Fiora's other skins, but the flowing dress would give them more to animate that would set it apart from her other skins that don't have much in the way of articulation. I'm sure Riot would want to add a bunch of needless complexity like pointless ammo belts or what have you, but I think keeping it simple, like a sash around her waist, a rosary necklace, and maybe a red kerchief tied around one arm, would be the way to go.

If we wanted to highlight her French character, just make the sash a classic red, white, and blue, typical of the French revolution.

It might be too simple for some people, but in this case I think less is more.

Skin Highlights:
-Old world style with rusty rapier, rosary, and worn attire.
-Simple elegance with flowing dress and sash.
-More passion and intensity, with a colour palette that uses more primary colours, messier hair, dirt and small indications of previous duels (light scars, a few specks of blood, that sort of thing).