Ironstylus: "We're on track to release a VU every month or so."

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tortferngatr

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
With one relaunch, we're currently diving into yordles. It's going to set a precedent, and off of that we'll base the Great Yordle Unification Pass (YUP) of 2014 will be started. Currently our goal, even if we lack a style guide on yordles, is to bring them more in line with Ziggs and Lulu, our current standard for male and female yordles.
Hmm.

What if blue skin for female Yordles is a sign of youth/fertility, meaning Tristana is the Yordle equivalent of MF, Poppy is a sexy fighter, and it pales with age, meaning Lulu looks like Baba Yaga by Yordle standards (despite being adorable by human standards)?

Just a crack fan theory and an alternative to the Megling Genocide Hypothesis. Might be something to consider in the YUP--I thought it might be an interesting way to help make Yordles feel like their own species.

The Aviatrix

01-31-2014

I was wondering if Twitch is gonna get some attention this year.

I've always felt his model was hideous - to the point where I honestly don't think I've played him until this past week when he was free. And his skins don't seem to help his appearance. But I played him, and he was actually kinda fun - so now I'm impatient for a VU.

And even though he has a gross, angular model I feel like I never see him mentioned in these VU discussions. It's like people forget he exists.

Yezarul

01-31-2014

When's Rammus going to get a voice update? I mean.. even if it's the same person I just want more of a voice. Even the TMNT had voices other than "MMhmm" and "Ok".

Dusksaur

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot DudeBro View Post
Whoops! I was still signed on as my redname(just to put pressure on Mr. Stylus)
dear lord they walk among us! XD

lightdragoon88

01-31-2014

This tread was a good read.

Smited Your Mom

01-31-2014

Iron, do you handle balance with the reworks/relaunches or just the visual aspects of it?

I Am Tolan

01-31-2014

let the parrot be...

Monathin

01-31-2014

Are there any plans in the pipeline that you can share with us about giving The Great Steam Golem some love? I love Blitzcrank, but I feel like he's one of the more sidelined champs, both lore and art-wise, for being so "iconic" to League. I love playing as him and I never go into the game with out the Riot Blitzcrank skin, but I was wondering if there were any plans to bring his look and animations up to par with the newer champs.

Dunal

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindAeris View Post
Iron, do you handle balance with the reworks/relaunches or just the visual aspects of it?
Of course he does. He has several nerf bats. He removed innervating locket. He Olaf'ed Olaf and he's the reason behind Leona's dominance. The mere existence of lollipoppy came about upon his joining ritual to become the head of Riot. He's also single-handedly designing the next seventeen champions, one of which has three gapclosers.

He is not a mere artist. And you'd better not risk losing your account to claim otherwise. He is always watching us all.

Evelynn Butt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Eve currently sits in the "what is she?" land of concept development. She needs something more of a hook than just "blue lady in tights". Maybe she's a shadow isles hybrid. Maybe she's a demon. She needs not just an update in fidelity, she needs a thematic overhaul. That said, she'll probably get a traditional skin to go with whatever we do with her. We're only just in the early, early phases of her development. Very slow burn.
While you've probably walked away from the thread by now (especially since you posted this all last night), might as well throw my hat in here.

Primary problem with Eve's identity is she started as this sort of half-way point between a vampire and a succubus, borrowing tropes from both (stealth and healing from vampires, emotions and breasts from succubus) to try and stand as its own thing - and for a while, in old League, it worked pretty well! However since then both the vampire and succubus fantasies have been done to a greater extreme in Vladimir and Ahri (who is not necessarily an explicit succubus due to coming from a different culture, but is trading on many of the same ideas such as charm and essence theft) leaving Eve at this halfway point. Her primary fantasy now is not to be the vamp or the succ but to be stealthy person, so you have that paralyzing freedom where realistically you could take her just about anywhere.

What I would personally recommend though is to not drop the Shadow Isles association. While the mystery is partly because Riot hasn't explicitly decided what Eve's deal is, there's a lot you could do with someone who hails from that region, yet has also managed to make no one involved in the drama of the Isles care about her. She's so stealthy not even the altars know about her. Whether that results in say an explorer who descends into the depths of the Isles for excitement or someone who was once important but masked her escape away, who knows man.

Whatever it is though, stealth and mystery is fairly core to the Eve aesthetic. While I understand that you guys totally have to explicitly know what's up with her, I would hope that you recognize that narratively it's best to keep a lot of that secretive for as long as possible. She's a cagey person, and we don't have to have a League Judgment looking into her mind and going OH I SEE YOU'RE THE SIXTEENTH DAUGHTER OF A SIXTEENTH SON AND THE SECRET QUEEN OF DEMACIA