Laning against Karthus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Steelrambo

01-01-2010

I play a lot of characters, but playing as Teemo, Gangplank, and any other DPS carry, I find myself essentially dominated by Karthus and Lay Waste. Playing as Cho'Gath and Malphite aren't quite so bad, and I ended up getting Wit's End with Teemo to harass more effectively.

But my question is this: Teemo is an obscenely good harassing character. What are some tips for laning against Karthus (especially in the middle lane) with Teemo or other DPS that are constantly harassed by Karthus's Lay Waste?

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2010

I play Karthus a lot.

Step 1, get boots.
Step 2, against a good Karthus player, stay away from your creeps.
(ed) Step 3, if he has exhaust, don't overcommit... level 3-5 this is a kill for him.

Lay Waste has DUAL UTILITY (like Cho's rupture) ... I can "harass you" while simultaneously killing creeps.

From my POV, I do NOT expect to regularly hit you with LW. I will try to be sneaky and put it where it will hit at least 3 targets and might hit you as well, or that it will hit exactly one target if it misses you.

Karthus, if they're playing well, does NOT expect to kill you with Lay Waste unless you're being foolish. They do expect to wipe out your creep waves.

I recently did a 1v1 Karthus mid where the other guy thought he had the upper hand for quite a while. My first trip back I bought boots, and he wasted a ton of mana as the improved movement speed gave me enough to easily dodge all his attempts.

Edit2: Teemo is yes, an insanely good harassment character, except that his range is shorter than Karthus's LW. So to come hit me, you need to come into my range - and I know where you're going to be if you're on the way to hit me and can anticipate with LW.

Play headgames. Make Karthus waste his mana. If he's smart, he will not be after you to begin with, he'll be after creep kills - but in such a way that all of his creep attacks incidentally will hit you if you don't move

Ed3: Don't get too close or go too far to the side. Exhaust + Wall is -40 MR with mastery and a massive slow, I've gotten kills at level 3 and 4 with just level 1 wall and level 2 LW + exhaust on an overly aggressive player.

Steelrambo

01-01-2010

Thanks a ton, sir. I tend to play an aggressive Teemo, and apparently didn't learn my lesson properly...

Serafan

01-01-2010

Since karthus is unlocked this week I would advise playing a game with him if you haven't already. Even if its just a bot game, it allows you to really see the range of the spell, the radius of the blast and the general feel.

Extraxi

01-01-2010

I played a game recently and soloed mid as Anivia against Karthus who spammed LW like crazy. @_@ It's really annoying being slow and squishy as hell. Teemo doesn't have the slow problem, but Karthus can still whittle your HP down very quickly. My suggestion is to get boots fairly soon, and try to harrass him as much as (or more than) he's harrassing you. Karthus is also quite squishy and will probably have to BluePill pretty often if you fill him with a few darts from time to time.

Helsieve

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafan View Post
Since karthus is unlocked this week I would advise playing a game with him if you haven't already. Even if its just a bot game, it allows you to really see the range of the spell, the radius of the blast and the general feel.
^--This

Also, as a Karthus player myself (He's my main mage), I agree completely. Only a silly Karthus will try to land early solo LW kills, unless he's way beyond my ability and can do that. Usually I land LW creep kills and farm for my build. I've tried early aggressive builds and they become mana choked. I found Karthus usually makes it pretty neutral cause he -will- wipe out creep, so it's very hard to push him back. And he's fairly squishy so pushing to your turret won't help him much. Just about keepin on keepin on till later when you have a spit ton of mana and are using defile with impunity.