Countering Udyr at Solomid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Piranha Petunia

01-01-2010

I have a thread dedicated to this already. One sec while I look at my history

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=41410

It's for Sivir v Udyr. No Sivir does not blow Udyr up cause she has no burst til about level 7 with her boomerang. It's worth a read, interesting ideas get thrown around, but not the be all end all. I especially like the idea of gettting Executioner's Calling and Wit's End.

IHaveCrayons

Recruiter

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk9466 View Post
I don't have much respect for Ashe in general - she's a substandard ranged carry that's only useful for the CC. She lacks the damage and harassment abilities that a solo mid really needs, and so I don't really see much you can do to seriously counter Udyr, except play defensive and try to farm up as much as possible.

Nidalee I'm not convinced about as a solo mid. The only good thing is that she's got survivability and gets a much-needed level advantage, but her harassment skills are poor compared to Teemo or Tristana. Both of those (although I don't play Teemo, and haven't gone against Udyr with Trist) would in theory be able to kick him around; Blinding Dart and poison gives him a bad time, and offensively placed mushrooms turn mid into a bad place to be. Tristana could be even better; explosive shot nerfs Turtle (or should), she's got rocket for putting some distance between them, and turtle does squat if you've been shoved into a tower by buster shot.
Some characters are better than Ashe for solomid. But to say that only 3 characters (Udyr, Trist, Teemo) can only solomid is a bit outlandish. 3 out of 40 some odd characters? That's a little ridiculous, teams don't always have those characters. Also, I've consistently beaten Tristana and Teemo at solomid all the way from the beta.

Purutzil

01-01-2010

LOL someone using the words skill and ashe together.

All out in seriousness though, Udyr solo can probably only be counted good by good timing. Waiting for his turtle stance shield to pull off and smacking him is the best way. Sure he can heal up, but smacking him a few times is still going to leave some sort of a dent still. Chances are if your harassing him he will try to get you with bear stance leaving a chance to damage him without having the life leach up. Simply use your arrow to slow him and kite him around. Timing it right you should be able to keep him pinned down enough that bear stance speed buff will keep him away.

Really just focus on creeps and smack him when his shield is down. Play it smart and keep his stun in mind and the fact movement speed increases to use your slow arrows to keep him backed away. You won't be able to push that much but neither will he if you manage it right.

@Crayon: He is just recommending some. There are a lot of good potential solo mid heroes. Some aren't as spectacular as others but they all work out in some regard.

Ashe, Annie, Teemo, Katarina, Cho'gath, Tryndamere, Kasadin, Jax, Tristana, Nasus, Twitch, Master Yi, Corki, Ryze, Anivia, Sivir, Nidalee

All those heroes can solo mid alright though not all should. Mid is mainly a good spot for carry's and gankers who plan on swapping lanes to kill someone. Usually I prefere a carry going mid such as Try and Yi since the faster they get gear the quicker they get OP. Really though it depends on the other teams make up and their own lane setup. It can vary greatly. Just remember that a hero that CAN solo mid shouldn't ALWAYS. Ashe is rather a blah carry as is mainly used for her ult and slow more then anything. She is honestly one of my last desires for a mid hero even more so then most others.

Belanova

01-01-2010

I've played against Udyr in the mid lane with both Gangplank and Teemo. The very first time I did it, Udyr had just gotten reworked, and as Gangplank, I figured I could kill him without having my ulti up. Well my Parrrleys didn't crit, and he out dueled me...once. After that, I've never had trouble with him. When I was Teemo, the Udyr didn't kill a single creep minus the ones that were melee'ing his turret.

Most ranged should have an advantage over Udyr, just don't be overly aggressive and get yourself in a bad situation. If you push to his turret, don't hang around with your minions, stay closer your side, and just level up and farm. He'll eventually be forced to switch lanes, or lose his turret because most ranged champions get strong enough to keep him in check past level 6. When he maxes his turtle and bear stances, that's when it gets tougher to 1v1 against him, your other lanes should be either won or lost by then, and you can call for a gank, or an ally that counters him even better to join that lane.

Chingmeister

01-01-2010

Just don't use boomerang or level it up. As a spell it isn't efficient enough to kill a lifestealing opponent. Go 100% ricochet + bloodthirster + boots + bloodthirster + Phage.

Piranha Petunia

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingmeister View Post
Just don't use boomerang or level it up. As a spell it isn't efficient enough to kill a lifestealing opponent. Go 100% ricochet + bloodthirster + boots + bloodthirster + Phage.

now i know that

Krald

01-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Sterling View Post
An Udyr should never beat an Ashe in an early-game solo situation. I've seen/been in the situation, unless the Ashe has little idea how to actually harass/last hit correctly, the Ashe will always win. It's just how it goes, Udyr is not a solo hero. He synergizes with too many other heroes early. Putting him on a solo, or even a jungle is just a waste of his talents; he should be played as a teamed lane/jungle beatstick, not a straight jungler.

Udyr is an amazing soloer, and on the contrary, ashe is probably the easiest hero for me to solo against as far as carries go. Her damage is miniscule early game, and she cant really do anything to stop my stun harass. Her best bet is going for early game points into frost arrow and simply using it for the sole purpose of preventing my harass, and just farming. No point in actually trying to kill the udyr, just try to out farm him and maybe get lucky with a gank later on.

Krald

01-02-2010

Oh, and to people saying ashe doesn't take skill, are you freaking delusional? Ashe probably takes more skill to play right than many other champions for this one single reason:

You are punished for bad positioning more so than with any single other champion. Positioning is probably the most important element in this game that many people forsake learning or attempting to get right, simply because so many heroes have so many ways to escape.

Every hero takes skill to play, even with master yi you have to sometimes wait for people to blow stuns and position yourself correctly in teamfights to play well, as well as not getting owned early game.

As a side note: I don't play ashe, or yi, basically ever. I'm just stating facts, and these are certainly not based on any kind of fanboyism.