Maps Skin Ideas

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

stW x Gargorok

01-23-2014

I would like to see a battlefield themed SR, like a Demacia vs Noxus battlefield.
The bases could be military camps, jungle is made of barricades and fallen buildings instead of trees and minions as the smalls soldiers we see in the splash arts and icons.

jungle camps could be the camp os mercenary soldiers, rebels and refugees
Dragon pit could be full of Jarvan's standards, since he hunted dragons.
Baron could be a giant undead soldier from noxus

Something like this:
Image 01
Image 02

Misogoop6

01-23-2014

Bilgewater and Shurima desert!

Levik

01-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slovakattack View Post
So. I came here all ready to spout out different archtypes, only to find that they'd already been done for me. However, i've noticed that there are very little details being suggested here. The best map skins imo would be lore-oriented and thematically tied to Runeterra- this is world-building, here- nothing less.

New maps should include limited interactivity, a la' howling abyss and TT.

For the Piltover map, i'd love to see robotic versions of the monsters in SR. Like robo-wolves, mecha-wyrm and Robo-Baron-Nashor. This might not sound as interesting as entirely new robotic enemies, but I think it's a funny idea that some piltovarian scientist out there was so interested in the ecology of SR that he decided to create his own robotic version of it! His name is... Reginald Bisby. He wears a monocle, and has a cane that is also a hunting rifle. He is the very definition of the Gentleman Scientist. And he is also the announcer! Yeessss, I want this...

For a Void map.... I think that's a case by case basis.. Here's what I imagine happening to a terraforming desert, tho:

The desert boiled and shattered, becoming a broken plateau of dark purple glass. The flora and fauna changed. The trees turning into strange, fleshy things that no longer had a place on Runeterra and appeared to watch travelers as they passed. Shrubs and bushes now made sickening sucking noises as they drained whatever life they could from the lifeless plains, parasites feeding on a creature the size of the world. The sky was injected with an inky darkness. The darkness went away after a time. The purple color, did not.

This is just off the top o my head. I gotta go to class :x
I believe that this would be too extreme of a "lore" reason for these map skins. This would be like making real skins try and fit into the lore as is. No, that would not work out well. I believe that skins of any kind can easily fit into the lore if they are there for "entertainment only."

By this, I mean that League disputes are probably wildly popular for the people of Valoran to watch, so why wouldn't some entity within the Institute of War try and keep League matches from falling out of favor with the people of Valoran (it is essentially gladiator deathmatches so I assume there are some groups out there that want them stopped, but if most people like watching them, the small group has no power). This is where skins come in, Summoners use magic to create an illusion that Champions/maps look different than what they really are. It wouldn't be hard for them since they are the most powerful mages in Valoran after all. So if you just think of skins as tools Summoners use to increase entertainment, then it is easy to follow and does not result in convoluted explanations as to why there is a robotic Summoner's Rift as well as robotic Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caralon View Post
Obviously you guys care about lore in unique ways
Another person that sees a need for lore based content which fits with my above explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuxman View Post
I know even one skin is far in the future and most mentioned will never happen but it would be cool if the map chooses the skin based on the champions and skins that are in the game.
For example:

Snow skins and champions like: Volibear, Ashe and Sejuani ad one point for a snow map

Nami, Nautilus and deep-sea skins ad a point for rain on the map

Singed, Twich and bioforge Darius for toxic points, and so on

The map with the most points after the champion select will load.
This would be a very unique way of determining the map skin to use. However, this would get stale since certain Champions are common in a lot of games, tipping the chances that Shyv, or Mundo's correlated map is more likely to appear. Look at the Champion pool for the LCS, viewers would see only a small skin selection if it is directly tied to the Champions. There would still have to be random elements to deciding the map, but it would take into account the Champions in the game, as well as what maps the players have seen recently.

Kinaro

01-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
What else could we do with our maps that would make really interesting skins?
Is this only about the art? If not, any chance we get a gameplay update for the map?
(Maybe it's already being worked on and you wait for it to finish before making any map skins?)

More about gameplay and map balance:
Isn't every asymmetric map imbalanced?

EUNEBronas

01-23-2014

Howling Abyss:

Plitover/Steampunk theme. Two airships with a singular, giant plan in between the two enormous airships (outer turrets). But i have no idea how to replace the brushes up there.
But still, imagine the land below (can be even a texture that was rolling beneath) that scrolls as they fly across Valoran.

Summoners Rift:
Just bring back the Winter/Harrowing Map. This would be cool enough to have it back.

Kaiser King XIII

01-23-2014

Have some decorations on the map to react like in Howling Abyss. They interact to events like when the outer towers are destroyed, when the jungle camps are cleared for the first time, or when the epic monsters are killed. I would like to see something like that in the maps.
Also have a way to add lore to the map, like with the shopkeepers of Abyss or the shrines in Treeline.

CptSuperbacon

01-23-2014

Noxus vs. Demacia and Piltover vs. Zaun could be fascinating. Especially if there were new voiced shopkeepers for each side like Howling Abyss for the Freljord and Piltover crew. I like the voiced shopkeepers a lot, but I feel that the other champions/areas are a bit left out. It could make matches feel a lot more dynamic.

I'm sure some people don't like the voiced shopkeepers or prefer the yordle. Perhaps an on/off button in the options? (If it's possible)

IronMarauder

01-23-2014

Please do a Noxus/ Demacian city themed skins, so the lanes and jungle would be like districts, I feel like SR could use some visual flavour so that it doesnt get so repetative, maybe do a verison of the map skin for each region of Valoran?

MelloRed

01-23-2014

Rainbow Road

Starkinight

01-23-2014

Demacia vs Noxus theme would be so awesome.