Maps Skin Ideas

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slovakattack

01-27-2014

There's been a lot of talk about a Noxus/Demacia battleground in this thread, and I'd like to put a few points forward in respect to the feasibility and thematic rules that would surround such a design.

RiotForScience has noted Riot's stance on veering away from a specific good/evil battleground, such as the one they use in Dota 2. This, imo is an excellent stance to take, as while good/evil dichotomy is an easy way to slap a map together, it often comes off as looking jarring (and a bit cheesy), especially since the map would have two distinct parts.
Additionally, Noxus and Demacia are not clearly defined as good/evil. One is expansionist and imperialistic (Noxus), and the other is not. Imperialism and expansionism is not evil by nature, (<--- I know this is arguable philosophically, but that's no the point of this post, okay? I'm referring specifically to thematics, here. Keep it in yo pants.) and therefore would be out of place for Noxus to be depicted as such.

A better way to look at a possible Noxus/Demacia battleground would be one of Occupied/Neutral/Occupied territory, as this allows the more subtle differences between Demacia and Noxus' war philosophy to really shine.

Ideally, the neutral territory should be battle-scarred. That way, every fight or 'match' taking place on the map can be said to be at an indeterminate period of time on a famous, much contested battlefield. Perhaps a 'forest' of swords, axes, spears and other, more exotic weapons could make up the neutral area; their blades shoved into the earth- each a testament to a fallen solider.

I have more, but again, class. Sadness :c

FireStorm21

01-27-2014

I know this has nothing to do map skins, but I think Riot should make a Christmas themed darius skin. It would be cool seeing Darius pull people with a candy cane.

Cya later Nerds

01-27-2014

well how about a battlefield where noxus and demacia has fought like in darius' background where we see a battlefield, or in battlecast backgrounds

Fisk

01-27-2014

Hey I think we cannot have this thread without a battle cast vs mecha themed map! Viktors mechanical revolution vs Piltovers finest robots! (Steampunk vs future kinda style)

Steelflame

01-27-2014

A big idea I think would work would be based on Bilgewater. Have the blue side be the ocean, with heavy emphasis on shipwrecks as the location of the buff camps, and the lanes be very aquatic in nature, with coral patches poking out of the water, perhaps with everything being fully underwater even?

Meanwhile the other side, the purple side, is more of the actual town itself, with loading docks, ships that you run between, and the upper-right walls around the base actually full out being the town itself. The middle of each lane could very easily be a dock that is plunging into the water, perhaps broken down, or roads from Bilgewater leading to the coast stopping right at the beaches.

The minions and jungle monster could be, for the blue side, ocean creatures, like sharks, eels, stingrays, ect. The purple side could have lizards, bird, panthers, and such for the jungle creatures, with the minions being small pirates using their weapon of choice (Sword, pistol, and one rolling around a big cannon).

Finally, a potential solution to the whole "what map skin should be used" issue. Why not have it so that every player selects a skin they want to use, and it goes up to a random draw? Store purchased skins would have a special bias to be selected over the default SR skin (note. You can have an option to double the odds if you directly want to select the default skin to be the same as a store skin odds), say a store skin would have double chances to be selected over the default. This means that by buying the map skin, you increase the odds of your games happening on it. If you don't, you can still get a taste of the skins (and perhaps decide you REALLY want to play on that map more often without spending cash and deciding it wasn't worth it) by just playing and hoping that a player who owns the skin selects it, similar to how you can get a taste of champion skins by seeing other people play them.

Using this system, you can even swap the default SR skin out, and have thematic skins pop in, and still have default SR pickable by choice (by voting for it over whatever thematic skin is open for the season). Effectively, any thematic skin releases (like christmas) can be selected, or normal SR, selected, if the skins are in a "free" rotation. If you own a skin, you can select that in addition to whatever map skins are free at the time.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

01-28-2014
12 of 18 Riot Posts

I am pretty sure that map content is "Client side" which means that each player could pick their own map and see their own map as long as the gameplay information remains identical.

Alyxstraysa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I agree, though we run into an issue with this idea in that we prefer not to divide the map into a fight between good and evil... Dem vs Nox will feel that way. Do you have any suggestions on how we could neutralize that issue?
Demacia vs Noxus is not good vs evil but rather power vs order. Demacia at its best is a paragon of justice but it can also be an authoritarian dictatorship. Noxus may be amoral at its worst, but one of its greatest strengths is its egalitarianism - anyone can rise to the top in Noxus.

Viro Melchior

01-28-2014

Quote:
I agree, though we run into an issue with this idea in that we prefer not to divide the map into a fight between good and evil... Dem vs Nox will feel that way. Do you have any suggestions on how we could neutralize that issue?
I don't think it could really be done on Summoner's Rift due to the terrain layout...

But a map where the Demacia/Noxus "fight" is occuring perpendicular to the summoner fight.

TBH though, I prefer the heavily location-themed ideas, or the ones that are just outright fanciful (like candyland) much more than a Dem/Nox map.

Viro Melchior

01-28-2014

Quote:
Brilliant! When I read this my head just started spinning with potential ideas that could create that conflict. I would love to implement this idea on a map with some really goofy mechanics. Hmmm....
Awesome mechanic ideas - all in the context of a new map, rather than a new skin.

Based on the closed/open terrain on Crystal Scar (preventing you from moving initially), there could be parts of the map that are open/closed (cycling) as time progresses. Obvious use of visual and audio clues for 10 seconds or so before it opens or closes, but anyone caught in the terrain when it closes would die or be displaced (as thematically appropriate).
This could be a mechanical bridge, a rotating platform, etc.

Vent openings that periodically (random) erupt steam for 4 seconds, doing % health damage (1-2% per second), and blocking vision (blinding your vision if you are inside the smoke, and hiding you from the outside). Probably 200-400 units diameter (similar to Grave's smoke).

A conveyor belt across the middle of the map (ie, the river location) that either drags champions in a set direction (can change, too), or increases/decreases movement speed if you're moving with/against it (whichever works back from a development standpoint).

Cya later Nerds

01-28-2014

we really do need more maps, this game is too popular to have so few.