[Mini-Guide] Gangplank: I invoke the right of Parley!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyrfang

12-31-2009

Goal: Maximize Parrrley and Cannon Barrage damage early game, turning a decent melee DPS late-game.

SUGGESTION: Use this build if your team is heavy on physical damage and relatively light on magical damage.

Item Build:
Faerie Charm, 3 HP Pots, 1 Mana Pot (only 1 HP pot if you are laning with Alistar/Soroka)*
Avarice Blade + Regen Bead + 1 Mana Pot (if needed) (~1000g, Avarice first)
Boots 1 + Haunting Guise (~1250g)
Sheen + Boots 2 (Sorc Boots, usually. Merc Treads if the enemy is CC+Magic heavy)
Infinity Edge
Warmogs (Giant's Belt First)
Atma's Impaler
Trinity Force

*You will have enough gold left over for either 1 sight ward or 1 vision ward, if you want.
Depending on your preferences, you can swap Haunting Guise with Sheen or Atma's with Warmogs.
Feel free to sell Avarice Blade if needed after you have enough money for Infinity Edge.

Skill Build Priority:
Cannon Barrage (6/11/16)
Parley (1/3/5/7/8)
Raise Morale (4/9/10/12/13)
Remove Scurvy (2/14/15/17/18)

Masteries:
21/0/9 or 9/0/21

Runes:
Reds/Blues: Crit Damage Runes
Crit Chance (red) and cooldown reduction/lvl (blue) are okay, if you're cheap.
Yellows: Pretty much anything, but I recommend Dodge, HP/lvl, MRes/Lvl or Armor/Lvl.
Quints: HP, Crit Damage or Crit Chance

Exhaust, Ignite, or Rally (if you have imp. rally) are good choices for summoner skills.
Clarity, Clairvoyance, and Fortify are decent choices as well.
Personally, I run Exhaust/Ignite.

Commentary:
I play Gang as a support/"caster"/jack-of-all-trades rather than a melee carry. In my opinion, Gangplank lacks the potential to be a devastating melee DPS Carry. Although he can be pretty scary later on if he's fed, he should not be able to outdamage many of the other carries like Yi, Trydamere, Shaco, etc. in the same situation. Most of your damage should be coming from Parrrley and Cannon Barrage until very late game, anyway.

Gang can handle solo mid, but there are better options 99% of the time. However, if there are two solo lanes and you need to take one, grab mid and give the side to someone else. Gangplank doesn't have that much pushing power, and will usually be unable to hold off others in a 2v1 situation. Again, this build is NOT a carry build. If you want to be a DPS carry, go straight physical damage and follow another guide.

P.S. Parley deals magical damage, so it is affected by magic penetration, not armor penetration. (Reason for Haunting Guise, Sorc Boots.)
Sheen bonus and Trinity Force bonus applies directly to Parrrley damage
Atma's Impaler increases base damage, which affects Sheen/Trinity Force's bonus damage (only item that increases base damage).

Morzas

12-31-2009

I do a similar build, but I build Triforce right after Infinity Edge because my games tend to end after I get it. With all three Elixirs chugged and a baron buff, my gun shoots for about 1k.

Tyrfang

12-31-2009

Personally, I would rather have Atma's over Trinity Force (probably the only character I would prefer Atma's over Trinity), but occasionally I go that route as well.

Morzas

12-31-2009

Atma's is pretty nice. 18% crit chance, 48 damage off of gangrape's base HP with an Elixir of Fort chugged at level 18... It's like a BF Sword that gives you armor and crit chance. I might try that out later.