My Faith in this Community has gotten a bit stronger.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dat Vayne

01-29-2014

He said it was a provisional though

Fock Raet Gumis

01-29-2014

One team [not even your own] stands up against bullying. Meanwhile, the other hundreds to thousands of your games will probably stay the same: toxic. Not to mention the enemy team probably still stomped your guts out in the 4v5. I blame all of us. I blame Riot, this community, and myself, for all of it. We bring it upon ourselves through our greed, hatred, and spite towards each other. This game's nothing without some love. Life's nothing without love. Everything becomes meaningless... without... love!

SaintCrazy

01-29-2014

Hey Lyte, thanks for coming on to answer some of these threads - I feel like its been forever since we've had any feedback on player behavior stuff.

Personally this is one of the most important issues to me when it comes to League - I want to play it more, but the biggest barrier for me is the sheer number of games I have where someone is toxic. It just makes League really draining and unfun to play when I get a lot of those games. And all it takes is 1 person calling someone bad that just takes all the fun out of what could otherwise be a lighthearted experience.

Sadistic Lulu

Recruiter

01-29-2014

Often, it's the enemy team that tends to be nicer.

if you don't mind me sharing another story with ya'll...

one time my friend and i, in normals blind, decided to try something new by going support and apc duo bot (i was lulu and she was veigar). at the start, we called "bot". someone in our team refused to try anything new, so decided to call "adc" and autolocked in ashe.

the game starts, and we demanded ashe to go somewhere else other than bot with me and my friend, really politely. she refused, and then proceeds to feed. she and our teemo then threatened to report us for "trolling" in /all chat, while the they are simply... feeding. by this time, the only one that remained calm and is doing well was our mid laner akali. they continued to flame at us.

then it hits the 20 minute mark. by this time, our team looked like we can't win at all, especially with two "toxic" players on the team, so i decided to start a surrender vote. because teemo and ashe are premades, they began to make the 3 of us suffer by continuously voting "no", despite that we are clearly losing, for like, at least 5 times in a row (yes, the game dragged on to a very, very long time.)

i gave up. normally, i would use my abilities on allies to save them, but i didn't because, well, they don't deserve my whimsical utility spells. i got bored, so i began to play hide-and-seek with the enemy team, while teemo and ashe continued feeding and for some reason, taking lots of kills. at the same time, the enemy team tried to speak up for us on how there's nothing wrong with breaking the meta and that teemo and ashe are simply toxic.

after a few rounds of catching me, i realized how a toxic game can be turned into a not-so-stressful one. in fact, the enemy team enjoyed playing with me.

eventually the horror ended. instead of getting 8x reports, i end up gettin 4x honorable opponent. they also spoke out for us.

i mean, there is nothing wrong for breaking the meta. i honestly couldn't understand why would people become so toxic because of that. but i can see that the community did get better.
sorry for the long-ass post. and the ugly grammar and organization.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPrinceBambi View Post
TL DR: This is a bit of a Dear Diary sort of thing, but it's more positive than negative, so I'm happy to share it. Most people sit by and do nothing when someone is being extremely toxic towards other players. However, it's nice to know that there are a few people who are willing to stand up towards these people ingame.

I just had an awful game in ranked where Akali told me to jungle Warwick.

I complied, only to be nice, since a teammate requested I do so.

When the game loaded, Akali told us that she had the wrong runes, which is a common mistake, so we mainly brushed it off. At 1:50, she then told the enemy team, which was a bit worrying, seeing how saying such a thing would make you an early easy target. She ended up pushing top without wards while I was still getting my wolf camp on purple side, still trying to hit level 3. Elise ganked her pretty easily for first blood.

Trying to help Akali not fall behind, I decide to head top to defend her turret. I don't take much, maybe 3 CS. It's okay, since Akali is still getting back to lane and the tower would've killed them anyways. I was apparently wrong, since Akali suddenly types in all chat: "Well, I guess that shows which team has a jungler and which team has the downie." I try to shake it off, not commenting on Akali. After all, Elise is barely farming her jungle, and I top her by about 15 CS already. Our bot lane ends up getting overwhelmed by a Morgana ult, where I, admittedly, was too slow to get there in time to help. Once again in /all, Akali speaks. "Man, I wish we had a Jungler." At this time, I haven't hit level 6 yet, and short of Leona and Swain's snare, there was no CC to hold the enemy down if I ganked. The enemy Morgana then chimes in with "Hey, stop complaining, Akali. Ward your lane properly."

Akali then says "afk" and doesn't disconnect, but stands still in front of Aatrox, letting him kill her. She repeats this three times before selling all her items and afking, flaming both me and our 2-0 Sivir, who tried to calm Akali down. She asks for nine reports on me and Sivir for being a trash duo, even though Sivir told us that she was duoing with Leona. However, the enemy Elise responded back.

"Holy ****, just leave them alone. They haven't done anything wrong all game. Just go afk like you promised while us adults play."

Not only Elise, but the rest of the enemy team began speaking out for us. The eight of us (Excluding Swain, who was duoing with Akali), managed to band together in telling that her toxic attitude was ruining the game for everyone involved. Unfortunately, Akali and Swain decided to sit in base and do nothing as they overtook our Nexus, but we managed to have both of them reported eight times in the end game chat.

In the end, I was quite disappointed that I had gotten trolled in a Provisional game, but honestly, I'm more happy that there are people in this community, however spread thin, that are willing to stand up to bullying, which online or not, is a pretty darn good character trait.

So akali was duo with swain and leona was duo with sivir? And this was a provisional game you say?

Maximum Jarvan

01-30-2014

Good form lad

lightdragoon88

01-30-2014

It so refreshing to play against nice people.

Worlds Smu Giest

01-30-2014

The cultural environment online is pretty simple, you are essentially anonymous, you can act in any way you wish without fear of physical reprisal.

Given this, the only way to effect others is mentally and emotionally to get a point across, have a debate, or otherwise interact. In League, we can fight people in this environment and do more than call people bad. It's a matter of how your strategize and play with others that can bring certain cultural associations from a game environment and culture.

Like Yordle Teams, anyone who plays teemo, Stealth comps, Blitzcrank cheese, AoE CC comps, Riven Zealots, that guy who only plays Garen/Pantheon/Xin etc, The musical and youtube trolling plays adc maokai ap xin ap gp bruiser lux, Meta Elitists, 4 man jungle(double jungle doesn't work 4 man or die), no jungle, Guardian Angel Double Teleport Toplane, Roa Le Blanc, AP Shen, and an innumerable amount of other stuff we do in this community.

Trolling is a fixed and unconquerable practice on the internet. 1 in 4 players will, can, or do troll when ever they want. That's a low ball estimate. I would love to get my hands on the raw data riot has in their game logs, cross reference the W/L rates on different players when using X skin, X rune/mastery configuration, key items, when teamed with certain champions, against certain champions, further what are the major outliers and high points of who carried and how hard. Further, see what champions get reported the most, what ban rates and associated troll data is happening.

Problem with a lot of data like this is how it all get's formated, and no one has a good system for that type of thing yet.

5ackLunch

01-30-2014

I really hope for a team builder esque...ranked queue

Getting really tired of last picks demanding mid or feed.

and feed they do... hard.

gfseb

01-31-2014

@Lyte
I don't know if this would be the best place to post this idea, but reading your post about the feedback triggered an idea, so I decided I might as well post it here.

I like the fact that LoL has an honor system and a Tribunal, it encourages good behavior in game, but I think that neither provides very immediate feedback. The honor counter ticks up between games, but ribbons take a long time to earn and warnings to negative players only pop up after a string of negative behavior. What if we had a very small but very immediate response to our good/bad behavior?

This idea comes from another LoL/DotA style game I play where they have something like the honor system, but instead of tracking it long term, it just gives a slight bonus to the end of game bonus (IP equivalent). What if, in addition to the current system, we add a slight IP modifier to the end of game rewards? If a player gets honored that game, they get a +5 IP modifier for each person that honored them , and likewise a -5 IP modifier for each person that sent a negative report. In a standard SR game where a person averages around 100 IP, a potential +/- 20 IP difference may trigger a behavior change (or else reinforce that behavior) for the next game. The numbers may have to be tweaked to avoid any abuse, but I think a small, immediate type of feedback can make a good addition to the behavior system to trigger more immediate changes.

The biggest issue I see with this is that no everyone sticks around for the end of match screen, so they may have to get the IP modifier after they have already left (especially if it involved disconnects), however, since the game does have a small prompt that notifies you of honor changes after the fact, I think it could be modified to allow IP modifiers as well. The other issue is that a 2-5 person premade team can gang up on a player (or players) and negatively impact their IP rewards for no good reason. Something would have to be in place to prevent that sort of abuse. Any thoughts?