Splash Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2014

I have a question pertaining to splashes from a while ago. A while ago, some splashes were changed to splashes from different regions, like the Chinese versions, or the KR versions, etc. At the same time, some splashes were switched out for new splashes done by the NA branch. Like mundo's splash, it's hard to tell if that was an NA splash or taken from an alt version of the client. Same goes for Ryze and Jax splash.

I want to know primarily because if there's a time limit to how long the splashes will be in the game (you guys said you want to eventually sub out all chinese splash for NA splash), then I don't want to form an attachment to the splash.

Seshouki

01-17-2014

Hi there Silver, so glad you opened this space where we can have a dialogue with the splash team, like we do with the champion designers, it felt needed.
I do have a few questions/requests/thanks for the team:
Questions
1-) How long does it take for a splash to be made after the skin concept is done?
2-) Are all old splashes subjected to be updated at some point or there are some that are off that list?
3-) Any plans for old Legendary splashes? (gentleman Chogath, firefighter Tristana etc.)
4-) Are you guys responsible for splash-based animated login screens as well? if so how do you do it?
Requests
1-) Well, i own all of Nidalee's skins and absolutely love them (same goes for Annie) and i wont lie, it is frustrating to wait so long for her splashes to be updated. Any specific reasons why its taking so long?
2-) How do you guys feel about posting videos of the splash art creation process? Not all of the skins of course, but maybe a fast frame movie showing us the creation of special splashes like Spirit Guard Udyr/ legendaries...Please?
3-) About Riven's Dragonblade splash- are you guys satisfied with the final work there? I love the skin concept and in game model but the splash is probably the weirdest i've seen so far, I mean the art quality is good and all but the pose is just... it looks more like Lee Sin kicked her in the back and sent her flying than she jumped. At first i thought it was just me but judging from the forums and even from this thread it seems that the reception was not very good... Any chances of a rework on that one?
Thanks
1-) I think you guys heard something about people complaining that Lunar Goddes Diana didn't look good and all, I myself was not very impressed about the skin, but when you guys released the splash i fell in love, so thank you for that <3
2-) Nocturne's new splash is just wow, thank you!

I think thats about it, thanks again dudes and keep up the good work!

SuperShadonic

01-17-2014

For old characters that will be visually reworked I can understand.

But why can't we and the Chinese have the same splashes? They are 10x cooler.
Also why do you people waste money on seperate pair of splash arts. Just let the chinese artist make for all servers and all skins. GG WP

Look at New Sivir and Dragonblade Riven... Riven looks like an old lady with fatter legs than her torso.

RemusNeo

01-17-2014

Akali really needs the new splash, can you estimate how long until it's released? You announced you started to work on the splash about 8 months ago or so.

Starlighte

01-17-2014

Lux's skins. Please for the love of this game replace them with either updated skins or the chinese splashes. The entire lux community cringes when we see the Sorceress Lux skin. She looks 40 in it...

Bonsant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2014

So just a couple things I've seen often, ignoring splashes for nidalee that you hear about often:

-sorcess lux chinese art. This has been requested a lot. I think when it comes to classic splashes riot should make their own, but there shouldn't be a problem with getting a few chinese ones for some of the skins
-Since most champs that need a VU will get a splash to go with it, I'll focus on some of the ones that don't need that big of an in game update at the moment but could use better splash. I'm thinking shyvana, maokai, Jarvan, Orianna, Skarner, Renekton*, Talon*, Viktor**, Yorick**
I mention these in particular because they likely aren't to get a VU any time soon and I'm assuming that their in game appearance is more or less how you want them to stay looking like. So basically, they just need higher quality splashes to go with them. Renekton and Talon were given a * because theirs are not that bad. Double stars for Yorick, Victor, and Caitlyn because I'm unsure at this point if there will be additions to their appearance or not (very brief mentions from Rioters for Yorick and Viktor, but Ironstylus actually discussed quite a lot about a Caitlyn VU that would work up a more coherent theme for her).
-No need to mention some of the obviously **** ones like singed, sion, shaco, shen, etc. . . I'm sure you're aware of it but also know a VU might have to come through along with them to make sure the splash matches the new looks.

Non splash stuff:
-I don't like some of the square images. Particularly TF's, Trundle's, and Jinx's. The colours in the background look poor and make it seem a lot duller or weirder than it should be for some pretty good splashes that they are.
-Spell icons. I feel like icons should be prioritised across a lot of older champions that aren't looking towards an ability rework that might change the spells/themes. Particularly Kayle, Janna, Ashe, Gangplank, Tryndamere, Soraka, TF, Nidalee, Rammus*, and Anivia* since they all got VU's (* = TU).
It isn't a massive effort to make spell icons (ya'll can pretend it takes a whole year, but it doesn't and we all know it). I think it's important that the spell icons don't look like crayon drawings.

HaveFunTrying

01-17-2014

Nidalee Skins Splash Arts when? We were told they were coming a long time ago... And a Splash Art can't simply take 1 month as Tryndamere said on Reddit.

Gentleman Twitch

01-17-2014

Many of these requests/questions pertain to champions that are slated for a VU/rework, and won't have new splash arts until then.

We should probably refrain from asking about them. (Sion as a large example)

HilinkTheDigger

01-17-2014

Cho'gath plz

LivingShadow 21

01-17-2014

why not just bring in some of the splash arts from like the chinese or korenn client? cause they have some extremely good looking ones and there already done so there shouldnt be nearly as much work as making brand new ones