Splash Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Harbinger

01-16-2014

Yeah seriously, we need the Chinese Sorceress Lux and the Chinese Vindicator Vayne.

Flaest

01-16-2014

Lux could use some Chinese splashes. Pretty please?
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4052001

Also, Nidalee was crying in a corner for a year or so.

Talohmiir

01-16-2014

I've been looking around and I think alot of the splash problems for skins other than their base, and even some of the base skin splashes could be fixed, at least short term, very simply. Just use the chinese art. I mean, I just got Snowbunny Nidalee since it came back and love the skin, but the splash is horrible. The chinese art for this skin tho is gorgeous. Could you simply change some of the splashes to the chinese versions? Or is there some reason you guys haven't done this?

NA Darklarik

01-16-2014

Warring Kingdom Tryndamere feels like a lot of lost potential on your teams part. He could have so many more spell effects other than turning red while ulting, which is hardly notisable under all that clothing and in the middle of a fight.

You could have added china styled fire effects (Think Panda annie) when he ults, or spins or presses Q. But no, nada, that and the fact that you release ANOTHER tryndamere skin after the recent Sultan skin when there are other champions that dont even have 1 skin (and you keep CLAIMING that you have skins on the way), like Skarner, Rengar, K6, to name a few, makes me feel like you guys are either ignorant or just plainly dont care. /end of rant.

Tadidam

01-16-2014

I feel the most pressing splash art to rework is that of Tristana. It looks more an old 3D rendering rather than an illustration and it looks quite out of place.

Torrenium

01-16-2014

I'm personally always eager to see new splashes, whether they be of default champion splash arts or of new skins, and I tip my hat to the entire art team for all of them!

That said, I'm curious about a few things:

1) How much inspiration do you use from existing media to create splash arts for both new skins and for new default splashes? People point to Dragonblade Riven, the new Lux splash, the new Sivir splash, and others as being "humanly impossible to recreate". While I do see this and recognize the disjointed look that these art pieces give, I personally view these with a more open-mind because I give benefit of the doubt that there must have been some visual basis for these poses. If that is not the case, how did you decide on such postures?

2) There have been plenty of tips and hints in recent splashes: Zac in BB Riven, Jinx in PP Graves and PP Renekton (I think), the unconfirmed Vel'Koz in Creator Viktor, etc. Has this been a recent plan or are there a lot of splashes that hold small easter eggs (not necessarily champions, but still fun secrets)? If so, could you briefly hint at the earliest point that you started doing this?

Flaest

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrenium View Post
People point to Dragonblade Riven, the new Lux splash, the new Sivir splash, and others as being "humanly impossible to recreate".
Lux's new splash is not that bad. Yes, she's way too flexible, but it looks nice and dynamic overall. Sivir's splash is just bad - she's broken in half and suspended in the air. Dragonblade Riven is somewhat unpleasant to look at, and she looks nothing like Riven.

Torrenium

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaest View Post
Lux's new splash is not that bad. Yes, she's way too flexible, but it looks nice and dynamic overall. Sivir's splash is just bad - she's broken in half and suspended in the air. Dragonblade Riven is somewhat unpleasant to look at, and she looks nothing like Riven.
While I do agree with you about all those critiques, it wasn't my original intent to criticize those splashes but rather to provide examples of how their art direction with specific art has not been received with overwhelming popularity. In doing so, it leads into the question of how they generally decide how a splash will look in the first place because I find it fascinating. For example, WK Tryndamere's splash just screams the avalanche scene from Mulan and I personally love it as a result of that.

MTaur

01-17-2014

What's with the weird spine fetish? More and more female champions are getting the Gumby treatment these days, mostly with spines bent 15-60 degrees more than they need to be, but also you sometimes see shins fractured and misaligned by a couple inches. Most famously, the new Sivir (as seen in the perceptive "Sivir Twerking A-Z" thread) suffers from both of these. Soraka has probably the worst spine in the league, and perhaps the most classic broken shin belongs to Officer Caitlyn. Even Karma (you know, the other matron archetype of LoL who got de-matronized in her so-called "visual upgrade") traded in her reserved and cool style for the spine-bendy.

It really looks to me like just about any adult human female in LoL can expect spine abuse from the splash team, except for Iron Stylus champions.

I really don't want any female champions to get new splash arts ever. This includes champions who haven't been released yet. The splash team makes me sad several times a year. My wife can't even bring herself to play Sivir anymore, and she used to play Sivir half the time.

Can you all please stop making splash art for female champions? You're doing fine with the males. They look like people doing things. I will buy 3000 RP right now if I can get a legally binding promise from the department to have everyone get drunk when they would have produced splash art for female champions for the rest of the year.

TL;DR - Old Sivir splash = powerful and sexy
New Sivir splash = "powerful" and "sexy" = Miley Cyrus VMAs
plz no moar

Gonsea

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaest View Post
I got no complain about the pose, who dare say they can't do that when they can shoot a freaking lazer, or having limitless pointy bumerang in pocket?
I just don't like the "psychopath" asmosphere of Lux, just so dang wrong.