Splash Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MTaur

02-13-2014

...aaaaand now the heart-on-the-right-side convention is CANON.

TheKillerAngel

02-14-2014

I'd like to chime in that there are a lot of people (me included and a lot of the players) who enjoy the stylized depictions of characters in the LoL splash arts. We accept that artistic license is taken to give the characters a "larger than life" feel and like the energy or motion that comes through with these depictions.

Shlhu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2014

In case someone hasn't already asked, how can we get higher quality splash photos? I get that they are big and you don't want to make the client huge for those that don't want it, but can't you make them available for those of us with big screens? Or am I wrong and the artwork so hard to scale up?

(I'm sure this has come up time and again, but search option sucks and I can't find an answer) An official answer on when I can expect a splash visual upgrade would be awesome

Seshouki

02-18-2014

Oh sure, lets take pose inspiration from comics.
Heres a exemple of "comic anatomy"
Name:  maryjanepose.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  177.4 KB
Now a actual person doing the same, comfy huh? sure, I can totally relax like that on my couch for hours.
Name:  mary jane 2.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  53.9 KB
thats how i sit now, dont judge me.
Name:  mary jane 3.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  52.4 KB

"For most of their existence, comic books audiences have been assumed to be mostly male. The female characters and superheroes were targeted towards this male demographic, rather than towards women readers.[15] Although many female superheroes were created, very few starred in their own series or achieved stand-alone success outside straightforward erotic works. It has been debated whether the perceived lack of female readership was due to male writers being uncomfortable with writing about or for women, or whether the comic book industry is male dominated due to actual lack of women's interest in comics.
The use of women as plot devices, whose main function is to prompt the hero into action as a defender or in seeking revenge, has been criticized."
source.
Now even if the male demographic is the majority in LOL, they are not the same audience as comic book readers. The reason i think LOL female champions should not be portrayed the same way of a comic book heroine, is because they are not a sidekick/feminine version to a male hero( aka Supergirl, Shehulk, Batgirl), they are protagonists, so why would you draw protagonists in a comic book pose where the only purpose is to look sexy(and i mean comic book sexy: big boobs, no waist, no spine) instead of awesome/badass?
Im sorry for the long post and if i sounded aggressive it was not my intention, im just passionate about the art and the game <3

MTaur

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seshouki View Post
Attachment 899105
Now a actual person doing the same, comfy huh? sure, I can totally relax like that on my couch for hours.
Attachment 899106
Attachment 899108

"For most of their existence, comic books audiences have been assumed to be mostly male. The female characters and superheroes were targeted towards this male demographic, rather than towards women readers.[15] Although many female superheroes were created, very few starred in their own series or achieved stand-alone success outside straightforward erotic works. It has been debated whether the perceived lack of female readership was due to male writers being uncomfortable with writing about or for women, or whether the comic book industry is male dominated due to actual lack of women's interest in comics.
The use of women as plot devices, whose main function is to prompt the hero into action as a defender or in seeking revenge, has been criticized."
source.
Now even if the male demographic is the majority in LOL, they are not the same audience as comic book readers. The reason i think LOL female champions should not be portrayed the same way of a comic book heroine, is because they are not a sidekick/feminine version to a male hero( aka Supergirl, Shehulk, Batgirl), they are protagonists, so why would you draw protagonists in a comic book pose where the only purpose is to look sexy(and i mean comic book sexy: big boobs, no waist, no spine) instead of awesome/badass?
Im sorry for the long post and if i sounded aggressive it was not my intention, im just passionate about the art and the game <3
I keep trying to +1 this, and I keep getting the "invalid post ID" error. This has been happening to me everywhere on GD lately.

SkylarSans

02-19-2014

I think he forgot... or just got intimidated, for what I couldn't blame him considering the approach of some of these posts.

Quinzelette

02-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seshouki View Post
Attachment 899105
Attachment 899106
Attachment 899108
So I actually got to talk to J. Scott Campbell at a con last year and the reason he drew her in that pose was because his girlfriend at the time --who looked similar to Mary Jane-- always sat in a pose similar to that. I say similar because I'm sure she wasn't always holding a cup, but that's how she'd sit on their couch. After seeing that everyday that stuff just becomes normal. Honestly he didn't even draw that for Marvel, he drew that splash art for himself and when Marvel started allowing their artists to sell prints of the covers they drew at cons Campbell asked if he could also sell this picture he'd drawn a while ago for fun, they said sure, it was a big hit at cons, and Marvel decided later down the road that they wanted to use it for a cover.

Which is totally different. It was designed to be something focusing on Mary Jane, something that reminded him of his current day to day life, he just so happened to have a girlfriend who always sat like that. I really find it rude that you're criticizing a real woman and her quirks because it looks very pinupesque and 'comic book cover'like to you. You probably picked the worst example to show posing obstructions in comic book covers since that was not created as a cover, and it was modeled while observing real life people day to day.

MTaur

02-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinzelette View Post
So I actually got to talk to J. Scott Campbell at a con last year and the reason he drew her in that pose was because his girlfriend at the time --who looked similar to Mary Jane-- always sat in a pose similar to that. I say similar because I'm sure she wasn't always holding a cup, but that's how she'd sit on their couch. After seeing that everyday that stuff just becomes normal. Honestly he didn't even draw that for Marvel, he drew that splash art for himself and when Marvel started allowing their artists to sell prints of the covers they drew at cons Campbell asked if he could also sell this picture he'd drawn a while ago for fun, they said sure, it was a big hit at cons, and Marvel decided later down the road that they wanted to use it for a cover.

Which is totally different. It was designed to be something focusing on Mary Jane, something that reminded him of his current day to day life, he just so happened to have a girlfriend who always sat like that. I really find it rude that you're criticizing a real woman and her quirks because it looks very pinupesque and 'comic book cover'like to you. You probably picked the worst example to show posing obstructions in comic book covers since that was not created as a cover, and it was modeled while observing real life people day to day.
To me anyway, there are several things that work together to make this pin-up sexualization and not just art imitating life. I know that when I was ages 8-18, I was a pretty flexible boy and I would sometimes do things like that with my leg, but that's not really the beginning and end to what this picture is.

For one, I don't know if his girlfriend actually had double-D's and a 22'' waist and the biggest poutiest lips on the block, or if her hips were 38'' around, or if she liked to twist her ass out to the side on top of bending her leg in. I also have doubts as to whether she preferred to heave her elbows inward like she was trying to pop her boobs like bubble wrap.

The overall effect is sort of a plastic *** bot look. It's not all that hard to find more of him drawing her posing around like a pin-up all the time. http://tony058.deviantart.com/art/Ma...bell-429103077

If that pose was inspired by a girlfriend, it looks to me more like he incorporated a little of it into his general fetish for pin-up artistry than it looks like he drew Mary Jane with a real person in mind.

Backup4now

02-23-2014

I have questions as to why your art team is slow insanely slow. I have a thread that was on GD asking the question, that is now in this forum: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...1#post45379789

"How much time is spent making ONE splash art?

For one person, 3-4 weeks depending on the artist."

Do you realize what an absurdly huge amount of time this is? Also, you don't release fast enough for this to be true.
"has grown to about 8 artists"
you would be releasing 8 or more splashes per month. You know what, this sounds familiar, I think somebody talked about this in particular in the thread!

Kamarad

02-24-2014

Any news on Akali?