Splash Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhoenixMichi

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixia View Post
RiotSilver, while your post as a whole was interesting and a bit enlightening, I do feel I need to take umbrage with one section of it.

You bring up imitating comics in regards to how they play with anatomy, but I have to question if that's really the ideal art-form to imitate. Comics and comic book artists that play fast and loose with anatomy tend not to be regarded very well these days, especially when it comes to female characters. Then you take into account that the comic industry itself right now is currently struggling with female representation, where almost every week there seems to be some new outrage over this or that female character's portrayal, or the lack of women working in the industry and/or the sexism that runs rampant as a result. At the same time, the comics industry is finding itself virtually unable to grow their audience and expand, and comic book shops regularly struggle to make ends meet, even while comic-book originating properties perform amazing on television and in theatres. Lots of people smarter than I have been theorizing that the lack of inclusivity in the art and industry (and often attitudes that are downright EXCLUSIVE) and their inability to grow their audience to include anything other than adult white men have quite a fair bit of correlation to them, and so... I don't know, maybe comics aren't really the ideal art form to be taking cues from right now? Or at the very least, if you are gonna take inspiration from them, I really don't feel that anatomy-defying splash poses are one of the ideas worth taking. I remain pretty confident that it's entirely possible to make exciting and action packed pieces of splash art without breaking some poor woman's spine to do so.
I don't want to add too much to this because it pretty much sums up my thoughts about it as well. As someone who is becoming an Illustrator and wishes to do character designs, concept art and splash arts/ illustrations like this for my dream career, it bothers me a lot that they are just throwing anatomy out the window.

TL : DR / In LoL terms: RIOT PLZ

Daemon

01-31-2014

There's a reason that comic book poses are ridiculed all across the internet. They suck. They are lazy, stock poses that 12-year-olds copy from and learn bad habits from. And every comic book fan knows it. Imitating comic books is probably the worst thing you can do. It just seems like a lazy excuse to say "oh, we imitate comic books! That's why we can't draw anatomically plausible bodies!" And I say this as an artist who refuses to fall into those terrible tropes.

Someone fixed Snowstorm Sivir. Is it really so horrible for her to look...normal? Is normal proportions going to cut into sales so badly that it just can't be done? She has a waist now, which I suppose would cut into profits. I don't know.

Name:  tumblr_mz9fg9EcMc1qh8t5wo3_1280.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  181.0 KB

Sorry if I seem so irate, but I love good art and I hate laziness when it comes to art. LoL has amazing splash art that is so damn close to being perfect (seriously, the technical execution of the art such as color, scenery, light, composition is amazing), but it just falls back on old, tired tropes that need to die. You're probably the biggest, most well-known game in the world. Why not be different? People will still play the game. They won't quit because you didn't break Ahri's spine in a splash art.

BADBOY FLYGIRL

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSilver View Post
People point to Dragonblade Riven, the new Lux splash, the new Sivir splash, and others as being "humanly impossible to recreate". While I do see this and recognize the disjointed look that these art pieces give, I personally view these with a more open-mind because I give benefit of the doubt that there must have been some visual basis for these poses. If that is not the case, how did you decide on such postures?

You're right. I'm not sure if the team has previously highlighted our goals for the current target on splash art and if not, then that is probably my fault. We have a bunch of things that we want to aim for when creating new splashes and illustrations. For this question in particular, I'll talk a bit about character poses. The world of league of legends is a fantasy world where things and characters outside the realm of possibilities in the normal world exist. Furthermore, the game and stories are focused primarily on the champions, the super human characters of that world. Our champions have very exaggerated proportions, some can shoot fire from their hands, and some can jump 30 feet in the air. To be able to fully convey the force and impact of these moments, we employ a lot of the same principles used in comic books. We purposefully break anatomy to enhance the gesture of the pose and push characters into extreme perspective. The idea here is to communicate something that is not possible by a normal human. I will take some time in the near future to make a post where I deep dive into what we feel is our splash style. Right now the high level goals are: exaggerated comic book style character proportions and poses, high polish, but still hand painted rendering, limited color palettes with powerful accents, and dramatic lighting.
It's been pointed out before but "exaggerated comic book style character proportions and poses" should be the absolute LAST thing that you set as an ideal. Comic book covers especially are wrought with oversexualization of female characters in impossible poses while male characters are set in powerful stances with a sense of motion or action. Female characters are about being sexy and trying to show off both their breasts and their butt at the same time (which, again, anatomically impossible to reproduce). What you're essentially creating with splash art is a comic book cover. It's what we as players will see the majority of the time we aren't playing: deciding to buy a champion, picking a skin we might want to purchase, picking a champion for a game, waiting for the game to load and load and load. I'm personally sick of counting how many female poses and bodies in League are showing their breasts forward or trying to show off their assets to literally the titillated player to the exclusion of everything sane.

Realistically, if you have an artist that wants to give X Female Champion new splash art, you should have them taking video or pictures of themselves while attempting to do the pose they want to draw in a mirror. Maybe then they'll realize how absolutely absurd and ridiculous it is having Karma break her spine trying to... cast magic? Summon a sneeze? Having Sivir try and pick up some coins she dropped? Whatever the hell Frostblade Irelia is trying to do? Girls please.

MTaur

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
There's a reason that comic book poses are ridiculed all across the internet. They suck. They are lazy, stock poses that 12-year-olds copy from and learn bad habits from. And every comic book fan knows it. Imitating comic books is probably the worst thing you can do. It just seems like a lazy excuse to say "oh, we imitate comic books! That's why we can't draw anatomically plausible bodies!" And I say this as an artist who refuses to fall into those terrible tropes.

Someone fixed Snowstorm Sivir. Is it really so horrible for her to look...normal? Is normal proportions going to cut into sales so badly that it just can't be done? She has a waist now, which I suppose would cut into profits. I don't know.

Attachment 887718

Sorry if I seem so irate, but I love good art and I hate laziness when it comes to art. LoL has amazing splash art that is so damn close to being perfect (seriously, the technical execution of the art such as color, scenery, light, composition is amazing), but it just falls back on old, tired tropes that need to die. You're probably the biggest, most well-known game in the world. Why not be different? People will still play the game. They won't quit because you didn't break Ahri's spine in a splash art.
Wow, that's amazing. Where did you find that?

I tried my hand at fixing poses in MS Paint once, and this is about the best I could ever do...

Name:  morgana-ftfy.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  118.1 KB

MTaur

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Starling View Post
I'm personally sick of counting how many female poses and bodies in League are showing their breasts forward or trying to show off their assets to literally the titillated player to the exclusion of everything sane.

Realistically, if you have an artist that wants to give X Female Champion new splash art, you should have them taking video or pictures of themselves while attempting to do the pose they want to draw in a mirror. Maybe then they'll realize how absolutely absurd and ridiculous it is having Karma break her spine trying to... cast magic? Summon a sneeze? Having Sivir try and pick up some coins she dropped? Whatever the hell Frostblade Irelia is trying to do? Girls please.
Here, have some Alistar and some Bristle with that:

Name:  alistar-splash-update.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  334.6 KB
Name:  sejuani-splash-update.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  351.8 KB

Daemon

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaur View Post
Wow, that's amazing. Where did you find that?

I tried my hand at fixing poses in MS Paint once, and this is about the best I could ever do...
http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/post/7...-pet-peeves-is

I think every single new splash art for a female champion or skin has been posted there once or twice. That entire blog is full of reasons for why it is TERRIBLE to copy comic book poses. There's a lot of artists that visit the blog and some like to submit fixes that are amazing, like the Snowstorm Sivir one.

Also, for anyone who thinks these poses are achievable, a contortionist attempts to do the classic BnB pose...and fails: http://justsayins.tumblr.com/post/14...e-tell-you-why

MTaur

01-31-2014

Oh man. I just realized that Heartseeker Ashe is on the PBE, but no splash art yet. THEY MIGHT BE WORKING ON IT RIGHT NOW. I'm kind of scared. :-/

Mister Chippy

01-31-2014

Riot, please listen to what we're telling you. We actively dislike the twisted anatomy. Please don't make any more, and after you finish cleaning up the rest of the splashes please go back and fix the twisted anatomy that's still there.

Daemon

01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaur View Post
Oh man. I just realized that Heartseeker Ashe is on the PBE, but no splash art yet. THEY MIGHT BE WORKING ON IT RIGHT NOW. I'm kind of scared. :-/

Normally, I spend hours trying to find the right pose! But with LAZINESS, I don't have to worry about it!

Included:
  • Boobs and butt both perfectly on display.
  • Hair hiding terrible neck anatomy
  • "Action pose that's not actiony
  • The half-scowl face
  • How does this costume work?
  • ASHE NEEDS A CHIROPRACTOR
  • Stick arms with no muscle or fat
  • Lumpaceous lumps
    [*} Oh god that face is gonna give me nightmares, I should've spent more than 5 minutes on this.

Name:  New Canvas2.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  39.2 KB

Or, since it is Ashe, there's a wide variety of poses from the Hawkeye Initiative to steal...I mean, be inspired by!

What a great action pose for Ashe!

Name:  hawkeye2a.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  221.9 KB

Kamarad

02-01-2014

Heartseeker Ashe; how soon until we can see the splash?

And more importantly, will the splash have the dove on it from Hawkshote's E? Kinda like Quinn's splash.