Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bendak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

Riot does seem to like butchering unique lore in an attempt to "rework" and making it incredibly generic and valueless...

The MechE

01-16-2014

How long until the next rework is done?

A month? Next patch?

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

01-16-2014
4 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonTwo View Post
Has Riot ever thought when making a rework, that a kit would be better off being it's own champion?

Sometimes, the kits that you guys make for reworks are amazing!...But to say they fit the champion is questionable at best.

have there ever been kits that were originally made for a rework, that were/are being used for other champions?

I would argue that while the Karma kit was very different, and disliked on release, that it has grown on the playerbase since.

Not the karma fanbase, for sure, but overall the kit has been well received since release.

It is one of those cases i think of "Good kit, but why them?" though

edit: looks like someone downvoted both pages.
Our goal is to make the kit fit the champion more, not less. One of the first things that we do when starting a rework is say "what is this champion about?" "what is their role?" "what are their strengths and weaknesses?" Then from that we try to improve the kit in a direction that further supports the identity of the champion.

Enter the Cage

01-16-2014

Everyone keeps saying make Soraka viable. I do not know what you are talking about.

Hellioning

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Our goal is to make the kit fit the champion more, not less. One of the first things that we do when starting a rework is say "what is this champion about?" "what is their role?" "what are their strengths and weaknesses?" Then from that we try to improve the kit in a direction that further supports the identity of the champion.
That's the goal, but I think we can all agree Karma's rework was a terrible failure.

12fingerJIM

01-16-2014

Have you ever considered Teemo as a rework candidate?

edit: why downvote? One of the rework goals is to make a champion more fun to play against, no? Wouldn't people like a Teemo that is less annoying?

Dryad Soraka

01-16-2014

Also can you give any details on the Soraka rework?

QuestForDankWeed

01-16-2014

What is the general game plan for handling fighter reworks?

I imagine you'll be having to work closely with live balance, but I imagine the problems span much wider than just a toxic mechanic or two.

The way fighters are designed (in general) is with overloaded kits to compensate for being melee, and they end up being feast or famine champions who either suck and are nearly trash tier, or snowball to god mode and are overall a pain in the ass to deal with. Some may not even really contribute to their team at all past mid game, besides screwing with an ADC or squishy mage. *Cough* Yorick *Cough*

Items, game mechanics, and design philosophy all make fighters a tough challenge. What are some ways you look to attempt to curb this issue?

Bendak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

@RiotScruffy, why does that just feel incorrect to me? You surely didn't look at Trundle (who was a Chaotic Good troll prior to remake who sacrificed himself for his tribe) and say "Hmm, this champion is clearly a mindless barbarian troll warlord!"

I'd say the same thing about Karma, who probably has even greater lore coherency issues (and just comes across now as kind of a muddled mess to me as a player).

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

01-16-2014
5 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvI5syndrome View Post
I'm dying to see Shaco's and Poppy's rework.

Deceive most likely removed
Diplomatic immunity removed

Yet they will still keep the same names! A rework should never destroy a champion's identity, no matter how "antifun" their design might be.
I can confirm that deceive is not removed in Shaco's rework. It's actually going very well so far, and we might be able to share and discuss those changes pretty soon.