Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Firefang Warwick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

Maybe this post will clear up some confusion on why champions like Poppy, Shaco and Warwick are getting reworked.

With that aside I'm more excited about these reworks than I am for new champions.

Priapös

01-16-2014

Will splash arts also be updated with reworks? Especially the skin splash arts (i.e. Nidalee)

Skyhawke

01-16-2014

Here's some questions, thanks for starting a thread, Scruffy.

Is it safe to say that one of the reasons the Trundle rework was perceived in a bad light is because it didn't fulfill any of the four things you listed?

Do you ever see a large-scale set of Garen or Katarina level reworks happening to fix an entire class (fighters/bruisers or supports, for example)?

Who's a good candidate for the fourth point you mention? This is a quality I value, and I'd love to see more of this in League.

And this question is less general, but I'd love to hear what your thoughts about Sion are. Where would you like to see him go and what do you see as his thematic and mechanical niche in the game?

PsychoB0b

01-16-2014

Ok...I'm a bit bothered by the current approach to Master Yi....seeing as he was relatively unchanged by his rework...save removing Ap from his kit, are there any plans in the future to make him more viable?

SlumlordThanatos

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
  • Make the character more fun to play with and against - When a character has particularly problematic abilities that are very frustrating to play against or don't offer their opponents any way to play against, we will always try to create better gameplay for their opponent while maintaining the fun and power of the character.
This has to work both ways, though.

Say you released a champion who is relatively new, about a year old. The champion maintains a decent or even a very good winrate, but has a very low pickrate (i.e. bottom fourth in popularity).

Even though the champion is a year old, the champion is rarely played and has seen exactly no professional play. The opinion on the forums is polarizing, with some people adoring this champion, but also a lot of people claiming that the champion isn't very fun to play and they don't care how powerful the champion is, citing how the champion's kit doesn't feel very fun and doesn't bring a lot to a team.

How seriously would you consider a complete kit rework?

50 Fists of Vi

01-16-2014

I do not know to nod or lose all my respect for you scruffs... It was all good until you went 'doge' on me.

Too soon man... too soon.

RIP Susan's voice of the angels.

ADCisMyReligion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

More public relations spin.

Fact of the matter is most champions never get changes for years and then receive a rework out of the blue. You have more fail reworks under your belts than successes, a lot of champions just need tweaks, not reworks. Very few champions actually NEED a rework. They just need changes. Yi/Kayle/Sivir/Katarina/Ryze/Skarner are all examples of reworks that happen just for the sake of reworking. You can't say a champion needs a rework when you have made zero attempt to make them viable.

Von Revanchist

01-16-2014

hey scruffy how bout that MF visual update thread

Not Commando Yi

01-16-2014

AP Yi was deleted for being op on arams

it's a fact

AnonTwo

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefang Warwick View Post
Maybe this post will clear up some confusion on why champions like Poppy, Shaco and Warwick are getting reworked.

With that aside I'm more excited about these reworks than I am for new champions.
I would honestly be more confused if there was confusion.