Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

riouxp27

Recruiter

04-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenonTheStoic View Post
Gangplank - Hot hot hot. RiotGMang is working on a rework that has us all very excited. He very much keeps his global cannon barrage ult and gets one very cool new ability that I don't want to spoil. GMang will talk about it when he's ready. However I still think the rework needs more treasure.
You don't know how happy I am to hear about this. Gangplank was one of my first champions when I started playing LoL (him and Wukong) and I'm glad he'll hopefully be able to finally be able to hold up on Top Lane again. I understand that Sion's rework will probably be released first, but if you could give rough guess as to when this would be released I would be very grateful.

thewasatchcrown

08-18-2014

All i want. And i Feel like its reasonable is for his ult to scale off of ad. And his base to be tankier he is way to squishy. I don't play gp top for that reason.... i reck mid with critplank instead.

Venowolf

09-19-2014

Quote:
Irelia - Coldish. I think we need to spend some more time thinking about what we want bruisers to be.

Akali - Cold. I feel she's in a decent place. Her dueling potential may be too high, but in team fights enemies have tools to control her. She benefited a little from the removal of oracle's, but it's not the end of the world (note that in the Voyboy game today we saw an Akali snowball crazy out of control. Any champion is going to be a problem at 11/0)

Gangplank - Hot hot hot. RiotGMang is working on a rework that has us all very excited. He very much keeps his global cannon barrage ult and gets one very cool new ability that I don't want to spoil. GMang will talk about it when he's ready. However I still think the rework needs more treasure.

Darius - Reasonably hot. We have a rework that sort of got 90% of the way there. We want to position Darius as a teamfight time bomb (get to max stacks bleed and dunk fools). One of our brilliant interns worked on this last year and RiotScruffy finished it up. It's currently mothballed as we wait for art resources (there are other reworks that are much higher on the list in terms of art). Scruffy himself can probably talk more about this. Personally I enjoyed jungling the new Darius a LOT in our internal playtests.

Very nice! New Gangplank ability and is a very cool "move". Also a Darius rework. I can't wait for see all the changes!

PD: @RiotGMang can show me a little preview of the new ability of GP plz!

lxl RockBall lxl

09-19-2014

OMG I really want a Gangplank new damage ability!

MaingoSeven

09-19-2014

Quote:
Darius - Reasonably hot. We have a rework that sort of got 90% of the way there. We want to position Darius as a teamfight time bomb (get to max stacks bleed and dunk fools). One of our brilliant interns worked on this last year and RiotScruffy finished it up. It's currently mothballed as we wait for art resources (there are other reworks that are much higher on the list in terms of art). Scruffy himself can probably talk more about this. Personally I enjoyed jungling the new Darius a LOT in our internal playtests.
8 months and the art resources never materialized(Heimer, Twitch, Karthus, Skarner, Sona, Cass and Renekton all got art updates.) entire rework was then scrapped but Xerath, Kassadin, Gragas, Rengar, Nidalee, Skarner, Cassiopeia have all gotten reworks (With Soraka and Viktor reworks on PBE.) and yet we can't get small buffs or changes.
Even Garen has gotten a buff on the PBE recently while Darius remains totally ignored.

Venowolf

09-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaingoSeven View Post
8 months and the art resources never materialized(Heimer, Twitch, Karthus, Skarner, Sona, Cass and Renekton all got art updates.) entire rework was then scrapped but Xerath, Kassadin, Gragas, Rengar, Nidalee, Skarner, Cassiopeia have all gotten reworks (With Soraka and Viktor reworks on PBE.) and yet we can't get small buffs or changes.
Even Garen has gotten a buff on the PBE recently while Darius remains totally ignored.
for that reason they don't give timelines...

ItsTime2GutPoppy

09-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Hey all,

We are really excited about all of the reworks and visual updates that we have released recently and all of the ones that are coming this year. As great as they are, the question of "why change things?" often arises, and it is absolutely valid. At a high level we have certain goals when we choose to rework the gameplay, visuals, or lore of a champion:
  • Maximize the potential of a character - This could be anything from better art to entirely new skills that deliver the character's theme in a much more cool or interesting way.
  • Make the character more fun to play with and against - When a character has particularly problematic abilities that are very frustrating to play against or don't offer their opponents any way to play against, we will always try to create better gameplay for their opponent while maintaining the fun and power of the character.
  • Upgrade old characters to our current quality standards - There is a lot of years old art that we can just improve by updating it (Nasus, so doge).
  • Focus a character into a more unique role - If the opportunity is available, we would like for all characters to bring unique value and gameplay to their team.

Things like nerfs and buffs are not reasons for a champion rework, because those can be usually accomplished through number tuning on damage, cooldowns, mana. It's true that reworks will always have an effect on the power of a champion, but their primary purpose is to improve the gameplay and mechanics. After a rework we will always continue to balance champions and hopefully the game is improved in the long term with the gameplay improvements that a rework brings.

If you all have any questions about our rework philosophy in general, we're here (maybe I can rope Meddler or CertainlyT into this conversation as well) to answer questions and discuss.

Edit: For some clarification, I am working on a bunch of reworks myself. Also I am involved in helping the other designers, writers, and artists in the other reworks that I am not personally working on.

-Scruffy
scruffy, king of trash reworks

Venowolf

09-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTime2GutPoppy View Post
scruffy, king of trash reworks
Wich rework's are make by Scruffy?

A Deadly Amoeba

09-22-2014

Quote:
Irelia - Coldish. I think we need to spend some more time thinking about what we want bruisers to be.

Akali - Cold. I feel she's in a decent place. Her dueling potential may be too high, but in team fights enemies have tools to control her. She benefited a little from the removal of oracle's, but it's not the end of the world (note that in the Voyboy game today we saw an Akali snowball crazy out of control. Any champion is going to be a problem at 11/0)

Playing new darius on internal playtests as of january 2014

I see you have got your priorities straight

SnowFall

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-25-2014

they r going to remove oranges from GP and change his Q to skillshot or some similar **** which pretty much ruins him as a champion for me and I won't touch him ever again, calling it now