Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brale Bane Power

01-17-2014

Karma just got her VU.... Someone mentions Rumble and the devs disappear.

Darklightning

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Many champions could actually a great candidate for the fourth goal (more unique role). We could focus on pushing elements (like with Ziggs) or make a "tank buster" character. When looking at a champ like Warwick, we would like to emphasize his unique role as a "drain tank."
I'm not sure I like the idea of Warwick being the "lifesteal" drain tank. We have Attrox. Attrox is instantly shut down with a stun. Your "drain tank" will be worthless unless you make him immune to stuns. Yes... you can leave slows in place, so people can try to get away from him, but if he isn't immune to stuns I'll rarely if ever play him.

I wanted a champion more like Rengar... who hunts down his prey, but the difference would be I see Warwick being the hunter who takes out low health champions. He gains movement speed from an ability when you are low health... he can leap a certain range because you are low health... all of these based on your level of health. The lower your health the more powerful he becomes.

Kr1sys

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
I can confirm that deceive is not removed in Shaco's rework. It's actually going very well so far, and we might be able to share and discuss those changes pretty soon.
have my babies scruffy

Adac

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2014

I know you don't want to list every champ, but what about Rammus? He hasn't seen any competitive play in forever and yet he got nerfed a few patches ago hard - and no reducing mana costs do not make up for hitting his taunt so insanely hard. I want to play him but he does nothing that other champs do not do much better. I really hope he is near the top of your rework list because unlike a lot of champions on there, he is just unplayable right now.

The5lacker

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brale Bane Power View Post
Karma just got her VU.... Someone mentions Rumble and the devs disappear.
To be fair, a VU on Rumble is gonna be an astronomical task.

Von Nicklesnout

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereAssassin View Post
Someone mentions Karma and the redposts disappear.
"Karma 'who?'"

phatcat09

01-17-2014

NuNu and his Yeti needs a VU. He looks like blocks...

Gnãrly

01-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotscruffy View Post
hey all,

we are really excited about all of the reworks and visual updates that we have released recently and all of the ones that are coming this year. As great as they are, the question of "why change things?" often arises, and it is absolutely valid. At a high level we have certain goals when we choose to rework the gameplay, visuals, or lore of a champion:
  • maximize the potential of a character - this could be anything from better art to entirely new skills that deliver the character's theme in a much more cool or interesting way.
  • make the character more fun to play with and against - when a character has particularly problematic abilities that are very frustrating to play against or don't offer their opponents any way to play against, we will always try to create better gameplay for their opponent while maintaining the fun and power of the character.
  • upgrade old characters to our current quality standards - there is a lot of years old art that we can just improve by updating it (nasus, so doge).
  • focus a character into a more unique role - if the opportunity is available, we would like for all characters to bring unique value and gameplay to their team.

things like nerfs and buffs are not reasons for a champion rework, because those can be usually accomplished through number tuning on damage, cooldowns, mana. It's true that reworks will always have an effect on the power of a champion, but their primary purpose is to improve the gameplay and mechanics. After a rework we will always continue to balance champions and hopefully the game is improved in the long term with the gameplay improvements that a rework brings.

If you all have any questions about our rework philosophy in general, we're here (maybe i can rope meddler or certainlyt into this conversation as well) to answer questions and discuss.

Edit: For some clarification, i am working on a bunch of reworks myself. Also i am involved in helping the other designers, writers, and artists in the other reworks that i am not personally working on.

-scruffy
maybe u shoudl rework your ranked system cause its fucin sht bro

Dohvakiin Lord

01-17-2014

When will the LoL theme music be back in the login screen... That would be a pretty awesome rework

ForMyNextTrick

01-17-2014

Can't wait for your news on Rengar's rework