Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FalkorsRaiders

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindAeris View Post
What about the Fiora rework?
Fiora, if reworked, would probably happen with the Fighter Rework. I think Fiora is great to use in solo queue right now, and has been seeing a lot more play in higher elos then ever before.

Fiora has problems, but it doesn't necessarily mean she is in a bad place

Desmond Law

01-16-2014

could you rework Aatrox so he actually has spells that inspire allies and give some sort of change the tides of battle feel?

Kyrrion

01-16-2014

Garen.

Yes? No? Demacia?

2hot2trotsky

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralPony View Post
Want to pop in and explain our stance on global ultimates a bit more since we haven't been very clear about it in the past. The historical problems we've had with those ultimates have always been global moves that transport the character physically to the location.

The reason for this is that once your character has the ability to move globally you are to apply 100% of your characters power anywhere on the map which means they inherently cannot be as powerful as normal champions. To be balanced they need to be so weak that they can't even compete with other champions toe to toe, which generally leads to a very unsatisfying play experience.

Having an ability with a global range however allows a character to transfer a percentage, even a fairly large percentage, of their power to impact other parts of the map or fights. This can create really exciting moments, encourages teamplay, and is overall is a very satisfying and healthy mechanic. This is why we haven't removed the global range or had any real issues with ultimates like Gangplank's Cannon Barrage or Ashe's ECA but have had a lot of balancing issues with Twisted Fates Gate and Pantheon's Targoneian ManDrop.
don't forget about shen!

also in regards to fighters, what is the ideal mission of a fighter champion? are their any good examples of what you guys want fighters to be in the current game? are all fighters gonna have an eventual rework to fit these goals?

Mandalcio

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
For some clarification, I am working on a bunch of reworks myself. Also I am involved in helping the other designers, writers, and artists in the other reworks that I am not personally working on.

-Scruffy
@RiotScruffy/FeralPony & other Rioters on the Design Team

I think it is awesome Riot has a team dedicated to re-calibrating League's older champions. I've never requested anything of a Rioter before, but I recently published a rework thread myself related to Swain in General Discussion. If a Red Poster would be willing to share their thoughts, I would really appreciate it.

Maximum Jarvan

01-16-2014

Quote:
We want assassins as a role to exist. Specifically these are high mobility champions with low defenses that try to opportunely get on to high priority enemy targets and take them out quickly. The main things that we generally think can define a healthy assassin are that

1. The enemy has some gameplay or opportunity to avoid the incoming assassin damage.
2. There is a long enough combat window for the enemy to react and try to escape before they die.
That doesn't seem possible. I mean if you make the champion about burst damage like the standard of an assassin then the enemy has to teamfight and win lane against said assassin. If you create a large window of time for assassins to do their job the enemy just leaves.

For example talon has a silence that lasts one second so getting a full combo on Ezreal or Kassadin is almost impossible because they just use their built in flash to get away. If the enemy can see you coming that in of itself is a warning. Yasuo is a MADC and probably the only viable for pro play moment at the moment. If you walk into a Yasuo late game and his knockup is ready you're probably dead same as an assassin. I just feel like in the quest to make the person getting assassinated feel better you guys ignore the feelings of the assassin player.

I feel like assassins are just carries that don't build crit and only one of them lacks some form of escape and that would be Talon a d that's not totally true. From a thematic standpoint shouldn't they have to rely on split second killing. Zed relies on ult. Kass needs his E charged up. Akali needs to use her q and dash multiple times and survive lane phase. Fizz relies on his Lich Bane and somewhat higes on his ult and E to secure kills. Kha needs you to be alone or already weak to do his job. Le blanc can only kill like one person every thirty seconds. Katrina is the epitome of just CC her and it is all over for her and needs her team to set up for her. Diana relies on landing her Q which is an awkward skillshot and has to all in with no escape.

I guess my point is by level thirty a decent amount of these champions should be understood in the way your should handle them. Just like people know not to go duel Jax. Maybe it is because the class interests me that I have also not had a problem with the class as far as my enemy playing one goes. That sounds like a player knowledge issue though. The only way that can really be rectified is to teach the players. Nerfing them won't stop them from destroying the ignorant unless you literally gut the damage to the extent where the championight as well not exist.

After looking at that paragraph I realize for sure the problem is a lack of player knowledge for sure due to how many champs there are.

jgamma100

01-16-2014

All i really want to hear is an update on the rengar rework, cause this recent patch has made things fairly grim for us rengar players

IAintDarius

01-16-2014

So when do I get skarner?!

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

01-16-2014
12 of 25 Riot Posts

Generally I can't answer things about dates (many are just not finalized yet). I will make sure to get out an updated Rengar changelist within a week, yell at me if I don't.

archangelfighter

01-16-2014

Quote:
Generally I can't answer things about dates (many are just not finalized yet). I will make sure to get out an updated Rengar changelist within a week, yell at me if I don't.
Screen capped and marked for quoting. Jk Scruffy; take your time. Thank for answering our questions in the first place.