Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reep

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
FeralPony is working on a really significant update to Sion and he wants to really deliver on Sion as the "monstrous undead warrior with a giant axe thing" that Sion could be. You should ask him for the details I wont spoil it.
Oh, okay.

I mean, I guess that sounds alright.

Edit: Am I to expect a visual update as well?

XxxLumberJackxxX

01-16-2014

I'm a little shocked to hear that Taric is STILL benig worked on (getting a new ult).
Why have you picked HIM to get a 3rd rework in about a year? Is the playerbase still that unsatisfied with him that he needs it?

As a sion player I'd love to have a discussion about what his future is. I'm also not convinced that you need to scrap his whole kit (just his Q, point and click stuns aren't super interesting).

Maximum Chogath

01-16-2014

So with the global ults, is Shen going to be looked at? Cause pls no nerferino

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

Quote:
We're working on some more Taric changes that I think you will like. A new ultimate to be more specific.
I hope it's a skillshot gem laser that deals damage and buffs allies hit

Critkeeper

01-16-2014

We don't see many strategy-level abilities in league of legends because the game's primary design principle a priori is "highest levels of player interaction even at the cost of player stratagem". This is one of the separating design goals that makes league of legends different than say, Dota.

As an example of a strategy-level ability, consider stasis:

While a stasis zone is made, everything in it and anything that walks into it is paused, freezing the game timer.
That means dots don't contiune ticking until the stasis ends, animations are frozen in time until the stasis ends, etc.
Firing a projectile into the stasis will put both you and the projectile into stasis. Interacting with anything in stasis will put you into stasis.

If you ever played the original starcraft (the first one), the arbiter had a stasis ability and that is sort of what I'm getting at, from a functional sense. The implementation details and specifics would be different for a MOBA, but the gist of the gameplay is the same. Its a strategic ability.

Most people at this point would be reading and think "that is the most broken level of hard crowd control i've ever heard of". However, if you think about it carefully, it actually isn't hard crowd control at all. You can't use the fact that the enemy is in stasis to your advantage, other than moving people to the area as reinforcements for when the enemy finally comes out of stasis, which may or may not be easy considering how large the stasis zone could potentially be. If you try to damage the enemy in stasis, or interact with an ally in stasis, you will be put in stasis.

In order for it to be used as a strategic ability in league of legends it would have to have a duration of about 6-8 seconds. That isn't necessarily imbalanced because of the fact that it does pause the game timer and removes interaction of any kind for 6-8 seconds. Is it fun though?

What does it add to league of legends and what does it take away?

It can interrupt the "thrill" of combat for 6-8 seconds and really be an annoying pain in the ass.
It can add a level of strategic depth that doesn't exist in league of legends currently.

I suppose a league of legends designer would weigh these two things and decide that it isn't worth it, given the design direction of league of legends.

My question to you is, has that design direction changed at all since the inception of the game? Has it vectored off into another direction, or even been slightly nudged at all? Will there be any possibility of league of legends design direction changing by so much that strategic level gameplay methods become less shunned? Another higher level question:

Why choose the design direction that you have chosen for league of legends?

Millea

01-16-2014

Are there any plans to add an invisibility ability on Lux?

deathmage390

01-16-2014

Quote:
We are still in the early stages of talking about Soraka, but she is a champion that we want to address very soon. Don't expect anything in the next few patches, but we are definitely starting to work on her.
thank you after the massive damage and median survivability nerf during 3.14 she just cant keep going like she used to.

Maduyn

01-16-2014

Simple question:

Is there a play rate thresh-hold for making changes to a champion?
Or in another phrasing: If a champion at is perfectly balanced but has its play rate drop to say below 1% or .5% would you consider making changes? (might happen if there is a glut in the number of champions competing for a certain niche.)

MajorLuck

01-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyrgos View Post
People have been begging for polish on Gangplank for ages, may we please have a word? I humbly ask you.

And IMHO--I beg to differ--Gangplank's ultimate has very little counter play if he is skilled enough to a) time it properly & b) places it appropriately.

A GP can consistently win duo bot lane trades for his team with ease, it's ridiculously frustrating & effectively match-breaking.

A smart GP will watch a fight break out in bot lane, see mobility CD's get blown, & respond with practically a free win for his partners.

I think the range should be cut by a quarter of the map or radius reduced in favor of more consistent interior damage procs.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gangplank.

While we're here, I'd like to also mention I think Fiddlesticks shouldn't have 'as great' of a "Flash effect" on his ultimate... this too gets absurd. When a Fiddle casts his Ultimate then uses his Flash, he can jump an entire screen's length & it's extremely frustrating. There's nigh little-no counter play to this. Sure he blows his flash but this can practically result on a free kill as well. Perhaps if he had reduced movement during his Ult or the Flash effects range dramatically decreased.
I love GP, too.

You said it yourself:
"Gangplank's ultimate has very little counter play if he is skilled enough to a) time it properly & b) places it appropriately."

So, for it to be effective, you have to be skilled.

"A smart GP will watch a fight break out in bot lane, see mobility CD's get blown, & respond with practically a free win for his partners."

So to summarize, you have to not only be skilled at using the ult, but also a "smart" GP have to risk being dunked, missing a ton of creeps, and god knows what else while he is watching a fight to decide whether or not, and when to signal the ship to fire. It is the opponent's responsibility to whack a GP up when he is distracted.

Additionally, a GP who ulted to help his team is at risk versus an opponent like Darius or Riven, who can use their ults to chop him, if they are "smart" enough to see that GP used his ult.

Therefore, because there are these risks, it is not a "free win".

Regarding Fiddle:

"Sure he blows his flash but this can practically result on a free kill as well."

It costed him the Flash, excuse me, how was that free?

P.S.
Here's the definition for all of you 12 million people who love to use the word in a wrong way:

Free
adverb
1.without cost or payment.

deathmage390

01-16-2014

Quote:
We want assassins as a role to exist. Specifically these are high mobility champions with low defenses that try to opportunely get on to high priority enemy targets and take them out quickly. The main things that we generally think can define a healthy assassin are that

1. The enemy has some gameplay or opportunity to avoid the incoming assassin damage.
2. There is a long enough combat window for the enemy to react and try to escape before they die.
speaking of assasins any thoughts on evelynn? i had a few http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...3#post44471423 if you would like to see. to be honest she is not in a good place right now.

TL;DR
passive is dark frenzy (currently W)

Q hate sppike

W Shadow walk (as a toggleable that drains mana early but eventualy become self sufficient)

E Agonys Embrace (currntly R) by shrinking the aoe and moving the shield to the ultimate

R Ravage ultimate scale damage, median shield, keeps the AS booster (unless do sort of teemo style uncloaking thing?)