Why do we do reworks?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Witchbell

01-16-2014

@RiotScruffy

I don't really agree on the priority of these champion reworks. There are some champions that look really horrible in terms of visuals and there are some that are rarely played due to their kits being extremely outdated and outclassed by newer champions. Yet it's these same champs that are pushed to the back of the list to make room for champions that people already play. You say that you are trying to give every champion a unique role to fulfill on a team but a long time ago rioters stated that they weren't trying to enforce the meta. So what's really going on here? Some of these champion reworks have turned champions we've known and loved into these stale meta-specific machines. For example Master Yi. Originally you could play him as an AD beatstick or an insane AP nuker. Once he got his rework his AP side was completely eliminated and his AD side was buffed considerably to the point of being overpowered. Of course he got nerfed and now he sits on the same bench as GP and Fiora in terms of use. Melee ADC were rarely played to begin with since they function the same way as modern ADCs but risk being in the front lines to deal damage. Now with Yasou's release showing how a melee ADC should be made pushes them further out of everyone's view.

What's the point of reworking old champions if you aren't going to give them to same love they had when they were released? Old champions are sacrificing their uniqueness to fit a meta that your staff openly stated that they weren't going to enforce. These champions need to be caught up with the times before any of the new champions. Like there is no reason why Rengar should way further in the line than someone like Irelia who was around way before Rengar and got nerfed so much that most people forgot about her. Nidalee got a visual but her kit ignored for years which lead to people crying about the massive power of her spears. Rather than taking a look at her kit as a whole we just nerfed it putting a little bandaid on the problem while we focus all of our attention on champions that already have a dedicated fanbase.

Can you at least tell me why old champions don't have priority over newer ones? Stating that they must fulfill a need in order to get looked at seems like a really horrible way of approaching these things.

Back2Normals

01-16-2014

@Riot - If you make Shaco a common ban option, you will have failed the rework horribly. That is all.

exec3

01-16-2014

Let's be honest, not every rework has been good (Karma and Kayle come to mind), what is being done to prevent future remakes from falling flat and being in need of redoing as soon as they're released?

Can I ask what has happened to Viktor? It's been so long!

Also just personal opinion here but I think Trundle's VU doesn't work because he no longer has consistent thematics, he's an Ice Troll yet he has the abilities of a Plague troll, what kind of Ice Troll steals stats? It really doesn't deliver on the fantasy of an 'Ice Troll' imo.\

Finally I'm really glad you guys are focusing so much on reworks, we have 118 or so champions yet it really doesn't feel like it because so many are outdated and useless. It's also great to see VU's because it brings the overall quality of the game up, old content really is an eyesore next to new content.

Corvic Maractis

01-16-2014

Just as a question Morello wanted to remove Global ults in the future, so what are some plans for Gangplank as right now he is in a very weird spot. Morello had specifically said a comment of removing GP's ult so i wanted to know what would you like as a replacement and how would this and a rework affect him? Would he be put into a more tank role or into a bruiser by upping his damage on his abilities. because is current role is a bruiser/tank while when he was released he was intended to be a Melee Carry (i was around in S1) What role do you want to see him be in? These questions are also relevant to Eliv.

Koechophe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

Do you know if there's anything in the pipeline for zilean? He seems like a champion who doesn't have good counterplay (specifically on his ult) and who needs to be fixed in order to be non-toxic and viable.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

01-16-2014
10 of 25 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvic Maractis View Post
Just as a question Morello wanted to remove Global ults in the future, so what are some plans for Gangplank as right now he is in a very weird spot. Morello had specifically said a comment of removing GP's ult so i wanted to know what would you like as a replacement and how would this and a rework affect him? Would he be put into a more tank role or into a bruiser by upping his damage on his abilities. because is current role is a bruiser/tank while when he was released he was intended to be a Melee Carry (i was around in S1) What role do you want to see him be in? These questions are also relevant to Eliv.
Gangplank's ult is not the type of global ult that Morello was referring to. Morello was talking about the global passive ults that are very powerful but hard to appreciate, thus making them hard to balance. Gangplank's ult is global but it has both gameplay (avoid the damage) and it is easy to appreciate.

TheRuinedPrince

01-16-2014

You must have a lot of weight on your shoulder's Scruffy... thank you for everything you do <3

ImmobileChaosBot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2014

F0ND

01-16-2014

RiotScruffy, any word on that leaked "champion"? If it's real you won't deny it, but go ahead and say it isn't if its not so people stop bugging out.

Timeless Yyr

01-16-2014

I know you can't reply to this but...Vel'Koz looks awesome! Good job Riot